Features that are NOT possible - please don't request them

Started by a1ex, May 24, 2012, 02:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulls4ever

yeah, but this was something that was said .. several years ago.. when 1D (APS-H) was the pro line. It is not the case anymore and thus its worth asking if there is any change: Pro line is 1D Full Frame. APS-H is now defunct.

while type II may not be.. well. the greatest thing since internet was invented but it beats all SD cards and is in the same conversation of 5D CF speeds

Buffer size is what it matters. its about the same as 5D IV and as we know it can continuously record RAW video.

I also remembered reading in the past about being more difficult because of dual DIGIC. But 7D is now supported and it is also dual DIGIC.

If it is not matter of discussion, then why did you bittern to answer? Let the dev team answer. it was a simple question: Has anything change since APS-C is now defunct and no longer in the Pro line?
EF 400 f/2.8 IS | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 IS

Audionut

Quote from: bulls4ever on February 13, 2017, 11:39:59 AM
If it is not matter of discussion, then why did you bittern to answer? Let the dev team answer. it was a simple question:

It's called being friendly, since you obviously missed the dev team answer in the first post!

This is a development based community based on contributions from people with their spare time.  As such, they don't like to waste it.  Which is why you should read first posts and sticky threads.

dfort

@bulls4ever -- You bring up some interesting points. Let's take a second look at that first post:

Quote from: a1ex on May 24, 2012, 02:02:23 PM1D support
These cameras are way outside our reach. Even if we could buy them, very few 1D users would benefit from ML.

Sure, at some point, some of these might become possible, but chances are extremely small. Spending time on those is effectively searching for the needle in the haystack.

That was written 5 years ago. Note that a few of those items on the original post have been struck out.

Today a used 1D IV can be bought for less than a used 5D mark III. It uses dual Digic 4 processors like the 7D and pretty much all the EOS cameras from that era have been ported. So it might be possible. Of course possible doesn't mean that it will happen. If you want to push this to the next level try getting a rom dump. Chances are it won't work (rom dumper doesn't work on the 7D) but you can give it a try.

Even with a rom dump in hand whoever takes on the porting task will have a lot of work to do and will probably get little help from the other developers. As far as I know most ML developers are not willing to mess around with any camera in Canon's pro line. This means that if you really want this you're pretty much on your own.

Just a minor correction on your statements, this is an APS-H camera which has a 1.3x crop factor. Yeah, pretty much a defunct format.

Finally, I'm not trying to bump heads with forum moderators or waste developer's time. I'm just saying that this first time poster is bringing up some interesting points.

bulls4ever

don't think it takes that much time to answer this. Plus, I mentioned I am willing to help

Things can change .. just check the "1080p 60fps, 2K, 4K, RAW video..."

Reasoning's for the past may not exist anymore. (price I'm sure was one of them)

Thanks, I will try when get home and see what happens

PS: I did read the post and I'm aware of the 1D not being ported. Thus, my question was exactly if It was still "outside our reach".
Note that I used the same words from the stick and also mentioned that it benefits several specially now that one can grab much cheaper in the used market.

bulls4ever

Won't work as I'd need the FIR to set the bootflag

Looking at the fir_tool and other documentation (as security) it is pretty similar to the 7D.
Following the steps Andy created to hack the 7D should work on the 1D IV. Or at least it is worth a try

Audionut

The sticky to end all stickies. Read this first..

Quote from: AudionutFair enough, what about the 1DX, 1DC or any of the other Canon pro cameras?  These things would rock my world with Magic Lantern.

Long story short, we will not work on Canon pro equipment.  A more detailed answer is here, and you can find more information by searching.

Legal concerns mean these cameras will not be supported here, period (just because we don't have direct support from Canon, doesn't mean we want to antagonize them).  When those concerns are satisfied, then assistance for these cameras can be forthcoming.  Basically, the current wording of the OP would be more accurate.  Current devs likely would never support these cameras entirely, but new devs willing to put in the hard yards on these cameras would have a chance to get builds into unified.
I'll update the OP to better reflect this stance.

Cheers.

spe42

Quote from: bulls4ever on February 14, 2017, 12:36:04 AMThings can change .. just check the "1080p 60fps, 2K, 4K, RAW video..."
Maybe someone could at least update this thread/the first post?
the wrong man for thhe wrong job

domasa

QuoteScrollwheel controls
It's not possible to remap them while recording. In standby, ML menu uses a trick: it opens some Canon dialog in background to steal wheel events from it, but this trick doesn't work while recording.

Can "log *ALL* MMIO reads/writes" be helpful for finding another trick?

a1ex

For this one, start at MPU communication, get the TX19A datasheet and reverse engineer the MPU code. Can easily take months or years of hard work from an experienced developer, with no guarantees of success.

domasa

QuoteCan easily take months or years

Ok. Is it possible detect change ISO, aperture and shutter value? If yes, this hack could be work:

1. Save value (ISO, aperture, shutter) after all change by ML.

2. When is some value changed and does not equal to saved value (only for change by Canon code - Scrollwheel controls):
reset current value to saved value and set decreassed/encreased ML value.

a1ex

That works - sort of. It's quite hackish, will introduce flicker while changing the exposure parameter back and forth, and won't work when shutter speed or aperture will reach their limits (events are no longer sent). Operation may differ depending on customization settings. I prefer to avoid this route.

This is how the Expo.Lock feature works, btw. You can also implement the same hack with a Lua script. However, a general solution is still error-prone and will likely require lots of fiddling to get something halfway usable.

MariaIT

I looked through possible and impossible improvements sections and have not found (probably overlooked) the thing regarding VR/AR, which bothers me a lot! Is it possible to incorporate features to edit the reality?  It is written here that it is now possible to watch video in VR, but it is possible to shoot or change it in AR/VR?
Thanks for the answer in advance!

nrlnd

Quote from: MariaIT on November 28, 2018, 09:36:01 AM
I looked through possible and impossible improvements sections and have not found (probably overlooked) the thing regarding VR/AR, which bothers me a lot! Is it possible to incorporate features to edit the reality?  It is written here that it is now possible to watch video in VR, but it is possible to shoot or change it in AR/VR?
Thanks for the answer in advance!

That's pretty much out of scope as the cameras is missing the depth data. You could always use the rgbd toolkit if you get an kinect. http://jamesgeorge.org/RGBDToolkit

Update

And here i am poking around at github and stumble upon this...  some one made a nifty little thing using python https://github.com/kvmanohar22/sparse_depth_sensing