Any 5D II raw DNGs?

Started by theguy92, March 16, 2014, 11:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theguy92

Hi everyone! First post here. :)

I've been trying to find some RAW files for the 5D mark II, as I'm considering buying one. What I'm looking to check is reducing the aliasing, and seeing whether it's a problem.

Would anyone mind posting just a few frames of say a building, that would show up any aliasing issues? Something with a deep dof to get the worst case.

:)

Midphase

I know that this is not what you asked for, but I thought you'd like to know this information before you make a purchase:

I ran extensive tests on the 5D3, 5D2 and the 7D with ML raw and I can tell you that I thought the 7D handled raw recording better than the 5D2. Moire is an issue for both cameras, and trying to get rid of it means having to soften up the detail quite a bit which IMHO takes away the biggest advantage of shooting raw (i.e. more detail).

If moire is truly a concern of yours, I'd advise that you consider grabbing a 5D3.

If you do go with a 5D2 or a 7D, you should look into purchasing one of those anti-moire filters, but that will raise the price up of your total purchase.

theguy92

Thanks for the advice. The reason I'm considering the 5D is that I want to take advantage of a few full frame wide angles, so the 7D's crop isn't really what I'm after at the mo. That and I have an opportunity to buy one for a decent price (not much more than a 7D)

That's why I'm after sample shots really: I was testing DXO's aliasing filter today (post processing), and the results were very promising, so I just wanted to check whether the same would hold true with the 5D's raw video files. :)

Kharak

Can you give a link to that DXO aliasing filter?

And it's post, you say?

once you go raw you never go back

PeterR

I have a 5D2 and bought the vaf-5d2 http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/5d2.html anti aliasing filter and aliasing is a non issue now. For my purposes, I didn't need a new camera and it saved me some money.
GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

theguy92

Quote from: Kharak on March 17, 2014, 04:29:42 PM
Can you give a link to that DXO aliasing filter?

And it's post, you say?

It's the one built in to DxO Optics Pro.

Seems to work well for harsh aliasing, so I thought it was worth trying for the 5D. Anyone got just ONE frame that has aliasing all over it (one that's not resized after being captured)?  :D

Luzestudio

But I have not been able to load my dng files into DXO, as far as I know it's not compatible with dng files.
But, hopefully I'm wrong...

-----
www.luzestudio.es