All-in-one program for converting raw, mlv, dual iso, etc...

Started by N/A, November 20, 2013, 02:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

I'd love to see a unified program capable of processing anything that ML spits out, and possibly communicate with ML through usb to pc/mac for syncing purposes. Right now we need seperate scripts to process raw_rec, mlv and dual iso CR2's (correct me if I'm missing something).

We get frequent script updates for the existing processing tools so it gets difficult to keep track of the latest updates, not to mention that some of our gui's were made months ago and haven't been updated since (especially for us mac users). We all want to maximize our cameras' potential, but it's also easier when things are streamlined and categorized more efficiently as well.

What I propose is a gui like the old ML Tools, but with all-encompassing processing capabilities. This program should be for pc and mac, and be updated directly when new scripts are released. It would be able to automatically import files from the card, detect the file type, and provide options for each. It would keep everything organized in one root folder and exports would be saved to their own sub-folders by default, with an option to save elsewhere. The program should also be able to erase and replace new builds as they are released, for when users are weary of deleting the wrong files themselves.

What I could imagine is that this program be available for free to people who've donated to the ML team, and have a fee for all other users, which would go back to the ML team for future advancements. Updates to each individual processing tool could be applied directly to the program and have notifications pop up when new updates are available.

ML has come a LONG way and has made a vast amount of features available to use on our beloved cameras. I believe that this program could take ML to the next step and create a simplified way for advanced users, beginners, and everyone in between. Suggestions are welcome, but please keep it on topic.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

jordancolburn

From what I've noticed with open source software, it's kind of like this: http://xkcd.com/927/

Everyone has one specific problem or workflow they want to support, so they make a custom script or gui for their camera/os/file format and go on their way.  It would be great to see it all unified into one nicely developed tool everyone could use, but most people will probably not have time to put in the overhead supporting and maintaining software for all cameras/os/file formats/workflows and will solve their own problem and move on with life.

dmilligan

What I'd like to see (this may be a pipe dream) is that ML post tools be integrated directly into various post production software. For example, creating a patch for dcraw based on cr2dng, that allows dcraw itself to convert dual iso files. Or submitting a patch for ffmpeg for .raw or .mlv files. We may even be able to get help to do this from the various developers of those projects (since ML is so short staffed at the moment). These are open source projects that support proprietary commercial formats, seems to me that they should jump at the oportunity to support formats of another open source project.

Then for commercial software, where possible, create plugins and extentions to allow native/automatic loading of ML files. For example, there is already a plugin for AE that allows importing of .raw and .mlv files directly, but it is not free. It would be nice if someone around here created a free/open source plugin that could do that. It might also be possible to create an extention for Lightroom or Bridge that automatically converts dual iso files (by identifying dual iso files based on metadata and automatically running them through cr2dng during import).

I'm probably capable of doing some of these things myself. So I'm not neccessarily pointing the finger at others to get this done, but sort of also challenging myself to work on it.

If all the post tools that we use can natively handle the non standard files that ML spits out, then we don't even need such an all-in-one converter program, and can skip an entire extra step in our workflows.

RenatoPhoto

I use Rawanizer and would be great if this could be enhanced to do the work.  Unfortunately the developer of Rawanizer has not been in the thread for a long time!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Andy600

It seems to me that we already have the (awkward) capability to convert all ML file types which means most of the hard work is already done. I think the most logical way forward, at least to begin with, is for app devs (Chmee, Fatpig etc) to release their source code and allow other knowledgeable coders to bring the elements together under one core app.

@Gnarr's source code for mlv2dng is a good starting point if anyone wants to update it to latest MLV specs and build a GUI (C++).

For ideas, devs only need look at how Magic Bullet Bulletproof works and if Red Giant have any sense they should look at supporting ML raw/MLV and maybe even Dual ISO processing in their pipeline app. Is @Stu Maschwitz here?

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com