Premiere 7.1 Pink Issue

Started by AnotherDave, November 01, 2013, 04:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDave

Hey,
So as everyone is finding out, it seems that long waited upgrade to Premiere with native CDNG support has a big bug for MLV shooter...  the files look totally pink when opened in Premiere directly.

there is a forum going on Adobe's site http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1326153?tstart=0, but I was hoping people could post their results here to figure out if ALL magic lantern CDNGs were the issue, or if it has something to do with the operating system and converter.

FORMAT:
PRESENT/NOT- PRESENT
OPERATING SYSTEM
CAMERA w/ML
CONVERTER

The less discussion the better, this is just to get an idea if the issue is present everywhere.

AnotherDave

- Pink Issue Present
- Mac OSX 10.7.5
- Canon 5D Mk 3
- RAWMagic 1.0

Cumulus

Pink present
Windows 7
50D
raw2cdng v1.3

a1ex

I think you should upload some test frames too. It's not possible to troubleshoot image problems just by looking at plain text.

NedB

Pink present
Windows 7, 64-bit
550D
raw2cdng.1.2.0

Premiere opens CinemaDNG's from the Ikonoscop, for example, without the pink issue.
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

hookah

Pink present
Windows 7, 64-bit
5D3
raw2cdng v1.3.0

A single Cdng frame
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxHiL_qPbYP0VURRcUdISWdoSDA/edit?usp=sharing

how it looks in Premiere CC 7.1
5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

a1ex

Validating "M041645M.000000.dng"...
*** Warning: IFD 0 DefaultScale has unexpected type (Long) ***

This warning is not present in the DNGs created with my tools. I suggest reporting it to the author of the CDNG converter.

Also:

exiftool M041645M.000000.dng -BlackLevel=1024 -v
Not enough values specified (4 required) for Olympus:BlackLevel

exiftool M041645M.000000.dng -BlackLevel="1024 1024 1024 1024" -v
======== M041645M.000000.dng
Rewriting M041645M.000000.dng...
  Editing tags in: ExifIFD IFD0 MakerNotes SubIFD TIFF
  FileType = DNG
  MIMEType = image/x-raw
  ExifByteOrder = II
  Rewriting IFD0
  Copying 1 image data blocks
  Error = Error reading image data
  Error = Error writing output file
Error: Error reading image data - M041645M.000000.dng
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

Again, this exiftool command works fine with the DNGs from raw2dng. So it's very likely that your DNG files do not follow the DNG spec.

eoshq

I just wanted to add an indoor shot under household tungsten (regular light bulbs), in the case that makes any difference.

Pink cast CDNG in Premiere Pro CC 7.1
Windows 7 64
5D Mark III
raw2cdng v1.3.0

File is here, download good for 7 days.
http://we.tl/ruiYRunolT

AnotherDave

So it seems it isn't just a MAC vs. PC or RAWMaigc vs. raw2cdng thing....  Could it have anything to do with the extra color information in the format?  Since BMC is only 10bit CDNG?

hookah

Quote from: AnotherDave on November 01, 2013, 10:53:31 PM
So it seems it isn't just a MAC vs. PC or RAWMaigc vs. raw2cdng thing....  Could it have anything to do with the extra color information in the format?  Since BMC is only 10bit CDNG?

also some info over here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.msg86331#msg86331

Alex said:
It's not a WB issue, but a black level one. The Adobe editor reads the black level most likely as 0, instead of 1024 or 2048 or whatever the right value is.
My hypothesis: the metadata in the CDNG files is corrupted (e.g. having a wrong type for a tag can cause read errors on all subsequent tags in an IFD), and some parsers happen to get over it and others not, depending on how they choose to handle this error. If this is true, the problem is in the DNG converter, not on Adobe's side.

Maybe "chmee" can tell more soon, but lets wait and see..
5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

painya

Not sure What I did here but here is a CDNG from my 6d that has no pink cast. No FX or CC applied.
But then I quit and reopened and it's back. WTF?
Resizing image real fast don't freak out.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

hookah

Quote from: painya on November 02, 2013, 02:15:42 AM
Not sure What I did here but here is a CDNG from my 6d that has no pink cast. No FX or CC applied.
But then I quit and reopened and it's back. WTF?
HAHA thats strange..

painya

Quote from: hookah on November 02, 2013, 05:09:17 PM
HAHA thats strange..
Shows me that it might just be a bug rather than a whole new feature that might need to be added. What do you think?

AnotherDave

Seems oddly intentional to me.  But I don't want to believe Adobe would do that.

painya

Quote from: AnotherDave on November 02, 2013, 07:00:58 PM
Seems oddly intentional to me.  But I don't want to believe Adobe would do that.
Seems like they got lazy. Why would they leave out a format that so many people use? (I realize that it is a much smaller population than many formats but still.)

AnotherDave

There are more potential users of Magic Lantern raw than there could ever be of any BlackMagic camera simply by availability...

But I think Adobe's intention was more to promote SpeedGrade for BMC users.

painya

That's a good point. My SG hasn't been working with the 7.1 updates at all. Any ideas?

eoshq

Guys we have been sold on a false idea when it comes to editing Cinema DNGs in the new Premiere Pro 7.1

Even when it works correctly, as with Black Magic Cinema Camera (BMCC) files, it is pretty much worthless as you lose the main reason for shooting raw in the first place, raw adjustments.

Over on the Creative Cow forums, one user has put it like this:

" It appears that Premiere Pro uses only part of the latitude of the RAW format, there's apparently no way to change it, and it's apparently suddenly impossible to access the full tonal range of RAW.

As an example, I have some footage with burnt out clouds. If I open a DNG image in Photoshop or After Effects, I can edit the exposure upon import, and bring back all the latitude on the clouds. That's the whole point of using RAW.

In Premiere Pro, CinemaDNG seems cropped to video levels, and I can't bring back any information in the highlights. I simply turn down blotchy over-exposed highlights."

You can read the whole thread here http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/947862

Sadly, as it stands now I see no point in editing cdng natively in Premiere Pro.

Sijimo

In premiere pro full latitude is accessible. It's just not that easy to adjust it.
Filmconvert Pro 2 plugin has full range control over exposure and white balance including color shifts.

Tonemapping plugin from Ginger HDR (very cpu intensive one) can push the image even harder than Adobe Camera RAW, i mean you can get clouds back and gain super shadow detail inside Premiere with your DNG files. Tha quality looks the same, i have compared them side by side.

But it's not that easy to control Tonemapping. I will highly recommend to watch video tutorials on their site (19lights)

Ohh... just tested raw2cdng 1.3.0 with 10bit log setting and it works ok in Premiere.
Anyway that best solution to all out problems is going to be a Drastic MediaReactior plugin. They import RAW and MLV files directly to Premiere, the speed is amazing, no pink casts anywhere ;) costs 500$

DeafEyeJedi

So it looks like we have to stick with the old method which is to use Raw2dng and then edit the dng's in LR5 and then export as TIFF's and THEN export as Image Sequence into QT7 for final EXPORT into .mov format for viewing.

Correct?

Not that I do mind...I actually am addicted to this workflow but again I wouldn't mind the ease of having to edit native MLV files directly in CC ONLY if it weren't for the pink/greyed out issue.

Which plug in's would be best for Mac's Adobe CC or LR5?

Happy Shooting and god bless ML!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

AnotherDave

What solutions have people come up with for the pink footage issue in Premiere?  I've been messing around with the input levels and have been able to get a very useable image... but I'm wondering if there is an exact science to it.

Thanks.

chmee

from my side, i sit/code on bmcc-emulation in raw2cdng. thats the most easy way to get acceptable import-results, because the dng-importer seems just "fixed" to these files. all other one-start-short-success-views (see above) are a strange thing and i dont want to analyse it.

(but by the way, try the cineon-converter inside premiere changing it to logarithmic data)

https://infogr.am/bmcc-delinearization-curve?src=web

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Metsadah

any updates on this? Is there a way to get rid of the pink issue in premiere?

chmee

on pc its a nobrainer since its completely implemented in raw2cdng. for mac you have to wait for new rawmagic

AND

the big update from adobe should do the rest :)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

DFM

Quote from: chmee on April 23, 2014, 02:17:24 PM
the big update from adobe should do the rest :)

Not necessarily. CDNG support is only designed and tested for commercial implementations (BMCC, etc) so whether the next release version will handle ML files from specific cameras/converters is just a matter of luck. If a converter creates DNGs that report identically to BMCC, you'll be fine. If not, you may still see the pink highlights.