All Cameras Micro lens adjust trick (or focus adjustment compensation)

Started by NMaverick, October 26, 2013, 03:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMaverick

Well it came to me after a few problems I had with a lens that has a backfocusing problem.
Micro lens adjustment is available on hi-end Canon cameras and there are some problems with lenses not being able to focus correctly at mid-low end cameras, sometimes it's the camera, sometimes it's the lens, sometimes it's just a dioptric adjustment of the eyefinder that can correct this (and start using the lens manually without AF!)
First of all this feature if implemented will save a lot of money on repairing lens that have backfocusing or frontfocusing problems and cameras that tend to back/front focus with specific lens.
It could be implemented as a lens correction menu option that shifts permanently focus front or back by 1 degree (similar option as in rack focusing already implemented and I'll explain below).
By doing this, the focus confirmation could be shifted by the amount desired to compensate with lens that have back or front focusing problems, either + or -.
How could this be done:
In the menu for focus stacking/rack focus there's an option that in Autofocus mode can shift the focusing in steps and automate the process. If an option could be implemented that locks the focusing with the specific lens (or all used) by e.g. +1 until this is changed back to 0, then this is what we need.

Sorry if this has been reported before, and sorry if this cannot be done while using LV.

Consider it and let us know.
We are a bunch of amateur photographers that love your work

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

NMaverick

It does not work for my camera. It is a 60D... :(
An basically I am proposing a new way of implementing this, that is related on focus shifting rather that micro-AF adjustment.

maxnomo

Dear all,
I am new in the forum but all I understood now, is that AF microadjustment should only work with cameras that already have AF Canon tool like 50D, 70D etc. 600 series doent have it.
But as NMaverick says, as there is an option do make pictures in STACK Mode , which I understand is doing several fotos in a row with little shifted focuses, it shoud be possible to modify focus somehow. So it also should be possible to implements presets for single lenses to have  fixed presets, may be +5 steps to compensate a back- or frontfocus.
If not possible pls explain where I am wrong in my thoughts.
thanks

dmilligan

The current method for controlling focus is slow and is only possible in LV, making such a solution very impractical. We do not know how to talk to the lens at a low level, most of that sort of stuff happens on a separate processing unit from the ARM (where ML runs), that we know little about.