feature length film shot with ML on 5Dmk3

Started by b0xincognito, October 11, 2013, 03:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0xincognito

Hi all, I just finished shooting a feature length film using the Canon 5D mark III using the ML RAW hack. Shooting took place in nine days from Sep 28th to Oct 6th. I've posted a preliminary blog article about it on my blog, here: http://cylesoft.com/blog/shooting-having-fun-up-there.html You can learn about how I used ML, the lenses, lighting, workflow, etc, on there.

The director/editor is still working on getting the shots together, but once he's got something cut I intend to upload a scene or two to Vimeo, which I'll link to in this thread. Just from seeing some of the footage myself at the end of the day during shooting, it looks really amazing. The insane latitude of recording in RAW was unbelievable, both in how much color information was captured and how much space it takes up. Even with six 32GB cards, we could only get ~25-30 mins of footage at a time. Digital transfer on location was essential. It was almost like going back to using film.

Has a feature been shot with 5Dmk3 RAW yet? I've seen a lot of posts about music videos being shot in RAW on here, but nothing much longer than that.

Indianac

I've been wondering that myself. If anyone has attempted a feature with the 5D. I know Upstream Color was done on the GH2.