Would the 50D + ML work for this shoot?

Started by sotovkin, October 14, 2013, 11:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotovkin

Hi Forum,

The clear benefits of RAW footage look wonderful. I'm considering buying a 50D for the longer RAW takes rather than a 60D for them. However for this shoot I may need to shoot some long takes as well.

1. Can ML shoot in h.264 (or a better compression) in addition the RAW video?

2. If so, can I switch between these modes on the fly?

I noticed that some users are experiencing skipped frames and their videos are a bit jerky. I absolutely need fluid motion as it's a dance shoot. It was hard for me to ascertain whether those downsides are part of the package, or if this was just a consequence of wrong settings / an early build.

3. Is smooth skipless footage an issue with ML on the 50D?

Answers to these questions / any insight as to whether the 50D + ML is right for this project would be much appreciated!

Thankyou,

- sotovkin

1%

For a preformance I'd stick with H264 as your run time on 50D is still gonna be like 15-30 minutes on 64gb/128gb.

Can't have them at the same time but you can switch between.

sotovkin

Thanks for the info 1%,

Just to make sure I have this right:

I can shoot RAW and h.264 with Magic lantern on the 50D

BUT

I would have to offload all my footage first  or switch CF cards when switching from RAW to h.264

Is this right?

maxotics

Borrow a camera for H.264 (I'm sure you have friends with Canon DSLRS lying around) and use the 50D for as much as you can.  It will do things in low-light, and with motion, that H.264 won't be able to touch.  Make sure you do some tests before you get there!  Also, focusing with the 50D in RAW is very difficult.  You wont' be able to follow-focus easily.  Shoot at a resolution that gives you a continuous frame rate so the live-view responds better (is that true, 1%? Seems so to me). You may have to shoot H.264 as your primary and use 50D for special stuff.

1%

You can shoot H264 + raw on the same card but you have to turn off raw to shoot H264. Just you'll probably be done with your card before you get a chance at H264.

FF is working on the 7D while recording raw... I'll have to check on 50D.

Working Ok there too, just have to keep from pressing joy center.

sotovkin

Thanks for input Maxotics and 1%,

1. Re: Maxotics; why would it be any harder to focus in RAW than in any other codec. Is it because the clarity is more telling of imprecision?

Should I just plan on stopping down the aperture a couple notches to compensate?

2. Re: "It will do things in low-light, and with motion, that H.264 won't be able to touch."

:D !  Wonderful.  Just to make sure I have this right, there aren't any skip frame issues with ML?

I'm probably moving forward with this little beast. As for the h.264 / RAW switch I'll probably just get an extra CF card for h.264.

sotovkin

maxotics

Quote from: sotovkin on October 15, 2013, 05:47:41 PM
Thanks for input Maxotics and 1%,
1. Re: Maxotics; why would it be any harder to focus in RAW than in any other codec. Is it because the clarity is more telling of imprecision?
Should I just plan on stopping down the aperture a couple notches to compensate?

2. Re: "It will do things in low-light, and with motion, that H.264 won't be able to touch."

:D !  Wonderful.  Just to make sure I have this right, there aren't any skip frame issues with ML?

1% can speak more to this.  The RAW video is saved to the card by capturing a raw video feed meant for the display.  The harder you have to make the camera work on the display side, the less power it has to save the RAW feed.  All I know is that the live-view, when recording raw, is jumpy and not really "real-time."  You can focus with it.  But it won't be like your 60D.  Keep in mind that display was never meant for video (the camera didn't leave the factory with video after all).

If you're aren't aggressive with you resolution you won't skip any frames.  At least I don't.  Frame skipping only happens when the camera is writing checks the buffer and card can't cash ;)

I just posted a couple of frame captures from my EOS-M.  It shows the general difference between H.264 and RAW in all cameras.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8825.msg82956#msg82956

1%

Yea, its a debug LV mode, raw is the precursor to H264/LV/etc.

There aren't frame skip issues, you can turn frame skipping off and if you pick a size you can record continuously you are ok... but still limited by the huge file size.

sotovkin

Maxotics, those tests look beautiful! Thanks for pointing me towards them. There is an honesty in the RAW image that's striking.

Thanks 1% for addressing the frame skipping issue and explaining why it is what it is. I should be golden and will be going forward with the 50D. Thanks again, and hopefully I'll have some tests to share of my own soon  :)