Ways to transfer camera data faster

Started by Danson Delta-40, October 14, 2013, 10:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danson Delta-40

Forewarning: this is my first post, though I have been following the forums for a couple of months now, and I read a really good post in the 7D raw thread page 64 by dragonflame, and felt that it needed its own thread. His post was:

Quotethe 7D seems to be capable of some really great footage but seems to be held back a bit by it write speed to the card slot, what about the HDMI port?
Is it possible to output a clean uncompressed/RAW image out through the HDMI port, if so wouldn't we theoretically be able to record at the cameras max resolution and would also give people the option to record in any format they feel like with an external recorder.

I'm sure that the data transfer rate on the HDMI port is probably low, since it I believe it is just outputting uncompressed, h.264. However, I did a quick search and could not find anything that gives an absolute on the data rate of HDMI ports, I did however, find this: http://www.slideshare.net/MaryArmenta/hdmi-bit-rate-calculator

If my child size mind can read that properly, which im probably wrong, but it seems like the data transfer rate is much higher. Just an observation. Please, admins and devs, dont bash me too hard for being another know nothing schmuck on the forums. I did a search for this topic and found nada, so, yeah.

first post and whatnot.
GOING POSTAL SINCE 1995 BABY

reddeercity

HDMI Port spec.is 1.45Gb/s
8 bit 60i 422 NTSC (uncompressed)
Color space 16-235
Same standard as HDSDI Signal link .
If you do a 2-3 pulldown, there
Is a 23.98p stream that's very usable,
But as a backup, monitor for DP or customer.
The signal from the hdmi is as far as I know
Is a processed raw>jpeg>hdmi
That why it's 8bit, from the jpeg image.
I capture the stream from the hdmi port
To my Ninja recorder (prores 422HQ 60i 220Mb/s)
:)

reddeercity

To capture the hdmi signal clean
Make sure to turn off overlays when recording raw video
NOTE* the hdmi stream is Not a h264 420 stream ,
But a uncompressed 8 bit 422 60i
There is very Big difference !

Danson Delta-40

Ok. That clears up a lot. Im sure the devs have attempted to try this at some point, so is there any hope the aforementioned idea is possible?
GOING POSTAL SINCE 1995 BABY

reddeercity

Quote from: Danson Delta-40 on October 15, 2013, 03:37:02 AM
Ok. That clears up a lot. Im sure the devs have attempted to try this at some point, so is there any hope the aforementioned idea is possible?
Its really 2 problems as i see it,
First its the hdmi controller, it's limited & the cpu is under a big load.
Even when the hdmi is connected there is a r/w performance drop up to 5MB/s.
From 75mb/s to 70MB/s .
So I don't think you will see this Happen unless the raw signal can be compressed down,
but there tried that and could not get it to work right. :)