Portable Transfer Device - CF to SSD

Started by joaomoutinho, September 26, 2013, 07:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joaomoutinho

Hello...

So, it looks like Canon says that if the CFcards evolve, than, more features and granted continuity will be granted in new versions of MagicLantern. Is that correct?

So, and to just make a point on the "correct" workflow, if the CFcards get to higher speeds, the resolutions will go up and that the 128GB card will be the 64GB card of nowadays. Correct?

In order to get a good workflow we need to dump this data somewhere to be able to work for 1 entire day with (virtually) no stops. So, is there any Portable device that can dump 128GB in say... 8minutes?

That way, with two cards, it would be great to work and no time lost. Could do a Documentary just to test this workflow!!

Is there any device able to do this? Like a completely portable device, with batteries and interchangable SSD with a transfer rate like SATA/USB3.0/Thunderbolt?

Thank you very much. Hope to get you oppinions on this!
Modify message

joaomoutinho

Quote from: Midphase on September 26, 2013, 10:01:08 PM
http://texassoundguy.blogspot.com/2013/04/creating-thunderbolt-compact-flash-card.html

Not really what you're looking for, but a good start.

Very nice indeed! I am admired that no DataManagementCompany is with their eyes open to this new market! I really think they are loosing lots of money!!

I have to build one of these. Looks nice!

1%

http://www.addonics.com/category/cf_cfast_duplicator.php

You'd have to look for a mixed media duplicator.

Small + portable is a little harder

kgv5

Maybe something like this:

http://www.nextodi.com/product/en_nvs2825_feature.html

I am using cheaper version: 2730, mine has 500GB 7200rpm HDD and it copies 64GB from komputerbay 1000x about 10 minutes.
Serious downside for some people is that 2730 for now cannot copy files greater than 4 gigs (but firmware update resolving this issue shoud be released this year).  More expensive ones doesnt have this limitation and can have SSD inside.
During my last shoot it was so handy, i was making car presentation so 40-45 sec (1080p) clips were more than sufficient for this. With two cards: KB64 1000x and sandisk 600x 32GB UDMA7 i took 350GB of footage almost continously. With two 64GB cards it would be even better.   
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

PressureFM

Quote from: kgv5 on September 27, 2013, 08:22:21 AM
Maybe something like this:

http://www.nextodi.com/product/en_nvs2825_feature.html

I am using cheaper version: 2730, mine has 500GB 7200rpm HDD and it copies 64GB from komputerbay 1000x about 10 minutes.
Serious downside for some people is that 2730 for now cannot copy files greater than 4 gigs (but firmware update resolving this issue shoud be released this year).  More expensive ones doesnt have this limitation and can have SSD inside.
During my last shoot it was so handy, i was making car presentation so 40-45 sec (1080p) clips were more than sufficient for this. With two cards: KB64 1000x and sandisk 600x 32GB UDMA7 i took 350GB of footage almost continously. With two 64GB cards it would be even better.

And it's only £1,910 without VAT...

Something like this could be build with a cheap-ass SoC with PCIe support and Linux (thinking Open Source).

You might as well buy an ultraportable with 1TB SSD.

DFM

When I'm shooting in the back of beyond I have a similar setup to Andreas but I'm battery-powered:

Startech USB3 hub
Lexar USB3 CF card reader
Toshiba stor-e USB3 1.5TB drive
All the above run from a PowerGen external battery pack and live in a Peli 1120 case with room for a bunch of spare LP-E6s.

If I'm doing backups (copies) an ICS cellphone will suffice as the controller, but before I'd risk wiping a card I want bit-level-verified duplication. For that I use the same kit but with a Surface Pro tablet. TeraCopy software and AdobeCC installed so I can process and view footage on location (not about to edit dailies on top of a mountain but I can pull DNGs into Lr or unwrap MLVs and check for pink frames etc.). The Surface Pro is hideously uncool but Adobe haven't gotten round to releasing After Effects for iOS yet... ;)

With the Surface I can get 70+MB/s transfer to the HDD off a KB1000 card. Cellphone only has USB2 so it's teeth-gratingly slow in comparison, but a lot cheaper and easier to cart about  :D

arrinkiiii

Nice set up  :D    ...but still a little expensive. Surface Pro 2 will come out in the end of October with one usb 3.0  Ok, the normal one also got usb 3.0

kgv5

Quote from: arrinkiiii on September 27, 2013, 06:24:51 PM
HAHA :D   only...

Nexto di is something like 280 pounds with 500GB HDD, when they release exFAT support firmware update it would be perfect device. Now it is very good but you have to be aware of >4GB files size limitation, it depends on what you are shooting. For music videos i am mostly taking 1920x1080 25 or 30fps 20-30 seconds clips and it is enough for me (2-3,5GB). I have no problem with dealing with this as i do not shoot interviews in raw.
If portability is really important than laptop or tablet with additional stuff hanging out cannot compete with this. It is really small, internal battery shoul be enough for copying ~400 gigs, one thing you can add is cheap USB power bank (similar size as nexto) as device can be charged via USB - than it shoud last much longer. Max HDD which you can put to the 2730 is 2TB.

It operates with only one button, great feature is auto power off after finishing (fast copy or copy&veryfi), when you are coming back and swith it ON it gives very nice, simple "previous copy OK" information  :)

www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

arrinkiiii

Thats is good info. Thanks  :D  It's good price, just not for my wallet =))