Pre-Record buffer?

Started by 1berto, September 23, 2013, 01:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1berto

Is there any pre-record buffer in ML?

I do Wildlife and use a RED ONE and this camera have 10' or 30' pre-record buffer if I want to enable it. Normally I have mine set to 10'.

I'm thinking in getting one 5DIII and shoot raw, a 5' or 10' pre-record buffer in a 5DIII would be great, cause normally I'm not always recording and waiting for the animal to make something different, normally I follow the animal without recording and when I see something anusual, I press record and the camera will add the 10' of precord buffer plus everithing I'v recorded after...

Yes, also 50p in 1920x1080 would be great, even it only worked in 3x crop mode or something simillar...

a1ex

You only have RAM for about 30-40 frames at 1080p on 5D3 (and you can't use it all for pre-recording, because you also need some RAM for buffering).

1berto

Thanks,

And If I use a faster card? even if it does't exists today?

Iv seen this sanDisk cards (http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/compactflash/extremepro-160mbs/?capacity=64GB) will they be faster than lexar 1000x?

bnvm

The buffer is in the camera's ram so it has nothing to do with the speed of the card. With raw video the limitations at this point are with the camera's hardware not the speed of the memory cards, there are already cards in existence that are faster than any of these cameras can write.

Looks like from A1ex's reply you can get about 1 second of pre-recording while leaving a little buffer left for actual recording, that's it.

1berto

Quote from: bnvm on September 23, 2013, 04:27:12 PM
The buffer is in the camera's ram so it has nothing to do with the speed of the card. With raw video the limitations at this point are with the camera's hardware not the speed of the memory cards, there are already cards in existence that are faster than any of these cameras can write.

Looks like from A1ex's reply you can get about 1 second of pre-recording while leaving a little buffer left for actual recording, that's it.

Thanks,

I mean if I can use this card or other's faster to get 50p at fullHD?

bnvm

Quote from: 1berto on September 23, 2013, 05:30:49 PM
Thanks,

I mean if I can use this card or other's faster to get 50p at fullHD?

Not %100 sure but I it looks like 1080 30P is about the max continuous possible with the MKIII, according to this.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0