Corrupt .mov

Started by chrisangelius, October 28, 2013, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisangelius

Hey guys,

I'm not sure what happened, but I randomly had a clip in the middle of my card go corrupt.  I received no notification of this while shooting, everything seemed to be fine.  The file doesn't have the typical THM file, just the mov file that won't open.  The clips before and after are fine.

Camera is a 5D mk II running latest release of Magic Lantern.  No power issues, didn't swap batteries while recording, didn't open the CF card door.  Clip seems to be the appropriate length.  I've looked for software solutions to try and fix it but have come up empty.  I happened across a website that offers a repair service for MOV's and they have a tool to identify if the file is recoverable, and it pulled stills from the file, so I know the data is there.  Surely there's an application somewhere to recover the clip.  Anyone have any ideas?  Really need this footage, but don't want to spend $100.00 to get it, especially when I don't know why it happened and as such am concerned it may happen again.

For the record, clip doesn't open in VLC, Quicktime X, Quicktime 7 Pro, AE CS3-6, MPEG Steamclip, Cinematools, FCP7.

chrisangelius

Well nevermind...
I had read about a video repair tool from a company called Graul, but the newest version is rather expensive, apparently the old version was free, at any rate, I tried the newest version which is meant to recover half of your video as a sort of proof of service before you buy it, but it didn't work.  Somehow stumbled across the old version (1.5), and decided to give it a try and it worked.  1 or 2 glitches in the recovered mov, and the audio drops out half way through, but thank god for dual system audio.