EOS-M RAW Precision Optics 0.20x Wide Angle Adapter Test

Started by maxotics, September 21, 2013, 07:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

In order to get anything close to normal angle in crop mode I attached a $50, 0.20x adapter onto the 22mm lens. That should mean 4.4mm x 1.6 sensor crop = 7mm times Magic Lantern 3x crop = 21mm. Does it work, sort of.

But first, the 22mm lens uses servo motors for focusing. The adapter probably puts a big strain on the Canon STM M lens, and even "hunts", or gets lost, in manual focus mode. Not pleasant. I believe this adapter may SHORTEN THE LIFE of your lens. If you bumped it hard during focusing there is a good chance the weight of the adapter would strip the motor gears. In short, BE VERY CAREFUL if using this setup. I plan on using this adapter sparingly.

It is also difficult to focus.

By using crop mode you get rid of moire. The adapter gives you back barrel distortion and chromatic aberration--a lot of it.
All that said, if you want a wide angle shot, without moire, you're probably better of with this adapter. If you use a DNG based workflow you can probably clean up a fair amount of the barrel distortion of chromatic issues.

In my experience, moire on these cameras CANNOT be fixed.

These shots are 1280x270, 24fps. Conversion to Cineform 422. Then into Vegas Studio. A little bit of sharpness and contrast added.

I'd probably be more positive if there weren't always focus dots appearing in the footage. PDR works great when there are no blown-out parts of the frame. Otherwise, the dots come back and one feel helpless in not being able to remove them.