Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootMeAlready

Ok so for those who want to use a big LCD screen for focus check/set while shooting ML raw, here is my loupe hack.
- permits touchscreen access, and the loupe, good for both AF & MF without removing the loupe.
Recall
the HDMI outs blanks the LCD - so you loose touchscreen AF when used
the usb solutions of DSLR controller App on Android or EOS utility on Windows/MAC does not work with ML raw.
So my approach is one option that works and keeps the 70D touchscreen access!

Pics at the link.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55088157
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

blueybuff

I made a RAW vs H.264 video, I think its a big step up! Make sure to hit that HD button.

hoeksemar

Hi everyone,

Sorry in advance if my question is already answered somewhere else. But i've been searching the web for days and have not found a solution. Magic Lantern is new for me too. And as always, there suddenly a rush to have answers :P

I'll just state my issue first: I'm an amateur photographer who has more experience as a video-cameraman. I'm starting to use my 70d for video now and there are a few bumps I would like to take. Foremost; i'd like to have the equalizer/audio levels in my screen and be able to listen to what i'm recording. As I understand after reading here, there is not yet a full version ML for the 70D and controling the recording level for a mic is not possible, and it's also quite complicated to plug in a minijack for headphones etc.

The video below was confusing for me: The uploader has an option in the bottom left when in M and in movie-mode, and he can atleast see the levels. No matter what I do, but the option is just not there for me, it's blank, and he's dradding the levels with the touch screen too wich I thought was impossible. See from 2m40

The link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHm8Zs3zMx0

Any thoughts or help would be great, thanks in advance.

walter_schulz

Access "Movie Shooting Settings" menu and set "Sound recording" to Manual.
Now open manual page 258.
And take a look into page 268.

bigorna

Well, in my 70D I can see the Mic level on the screen. But once recording, the level can't be changed anymore. I don't know if ML will turn possible to change it while recording. That's would be great!

hoeksemar

Thanks walter_schulz!

When set to manual, the levels are indeed shown in the screen. I understand now that when you press [Q] in de live-view screen you can drag the levels as desired wich is easyer than exiting the videomode, go to settings, adjust and go back to filming. But during filming it's not possible.

Hopefully ML will make that available in the near future :)

DigitalVeil

Quote from: blueybuff on January 12, 2015, 08:23:11 AM
I made a RAW vs H.264 video, I think its a big step up! Make sure to hit that HD button.

Yup, the difference in detail and color is unbelievable, even after YouTube's disgraceful compression.  What resolutions did you shoot for both the raw and h264 clips?

Also, speaking for raw, random noob question: Is raw video 4:4:4 or 4:2:2?
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

AntoineLavenant

Quote from: DigitalVeil on January 12, 2015, 04:00:46 PM
Yup, the difference in detail and color is unbelievable, even after YouTube's disgraceful compression.  What resolutions did you shoot for both the raw and h264 clips?

Also, speaking for raw, random noob question: Is raw video 4:4:4 or 4:2:2?

Yeah, as we saw on other canon cameras, the difference between h264 and ML RAW is amazing.  :D
Really looking forward to working with it !

I would also be interested to know in what resolution you shot these and also if you applied any color correction, noise reduction, etc....

Thanks a lot for your video anyway (y)

DigitalVeil

I still wish we could just "cut off" the 2 or 4 least-significant bits when doing the EDMAC copy from sensor to card, I'd definitely exchange some depth for some increase resolution  :P

Although I guess if you do the math, even lopping off the last 6 bits still needs over 45MB/s for 1856x1044 raw, and 8-bit sucks for editing...
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

ShootMeAlready

DV " Is raw video 4:4:4 or 4:2:2

14 bit raw refers to the sensor data.  Each pixel is 14bit of information.  When a CODEC is applied, it converts/compresses this to 4:4:4.  H264 compression is generally 4:2:0, which is the delivery standard.
Adobe raw codec works with 4:4:4.  The big difference in the 0 vs 2 or 4 is in the colour range/granularity which the human eye is really not able to distinguish that well.
Again the goal is to export your final delivery in H.264 4:2:0 as that's what most TV's are (I thought 4:4:0 for tVs).  That's my limited understanding.

The less detail in the shadow areas of an H264 is a direct consequence in how it compresses.  It tends to provide detail in areas of light, and compress harder in less lit areas.
That's why shooting flat & ETTR is so important with H264 as you want to maximize detail in the shadow.  I dare say that many of H264 vs RAW tests, are so different because
they did not take the kind of care needed to get the most detail in shadow from H264.  Also using lights creatively helps to retain shadow detail inH264.

Look at the videos in my I bit the tongue post at some of the stricked out video links, and you can get a better idea of what H264 can do, when handled well.
That said raw video, does have more information and when equally well handled provides more creative options (and needs less lighting kit).
Yes raw is better to capture/edit in but at a workflow/time increased cost.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

DigitalVeil

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on January 12, 2015, 07:50:18 PM
DV " Is raw video 4:4:4 or 4:2:2

14 bit raw refers to the sensor data.  Each pixel is 14bit of information.  When a CODEC is applied, it converts/compresses this to 4:4:4.  H264 compression is generally 4:4:0, which is the delivery standard.
Adobe raw codec works with 4:4:4.  The big difference in the 0 vs 4 is in the colour range/granularity which the human eye is really not able to distinguish that well.
Again the goal is to export your final delivery in H.264 4:4:0 as that's what most TV's are.  That's my limited understanding.

Do you mean 4:2:0?  I haven't heard of 4:4:0.  But yes 4:2:0 is fine for your final product as you wont be altering the image anymore.  For editing you definitely want 4:4:4 as that gives you way more flexibility to color grading, effects, and other alterations.  Editing a 4:2:0 clip too heavily can quickly turn it into total mush.  I was just assuming ML raw was 4:4:4 because it's just a straight copy of sensor data, but I wanted to confirm whether it was or not.

Also, what's considered a dangerous temperature for these cameras?  My 70D has regularly been reaching 70-80C while running these early alpha builds, I don't think my 700D has ever gotten that hot.

blueybuff

Quote from: DigitalVeil on January 12, 2015, 04:00:46 PM
What resolutions did you shoot for both the raw and h264 clips?

Raw was at 1816x790, H.264 was at 1920x1080.

blueybuff

Quote from: AntoineLavenant on January 12, 2015, 04:25:46 PM
I would also be interested to know in what resolution you shot these and also if you applied any color correction, noise reduction, etc....

I played around with the luma curves, and sharpened a bit.

Nothing else :)

ShootMeAlready

So Bluey what's the max. res for 10 sec? FHD, and with 2.35:1 aspect?

And DV 70 degress is too hot.  Try and keep the LCD off the back, as that will help a small bit.

DigitalVeil

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on January 12, 2015, 10:50:21 PM
So Bluey what's the max. res for 10 sec? FHD, and with 2.35:1 aspect?

And DV 70 degress is too hot.  Try and keep the LCD off the back, as that will help a small bit.

Yikes.  You mean turn the entire LCD off? Kinda need that  :P  I wonder if it's ML making it hot or if my particular camera just runs hot, because I did a shoot with it a couple weeks ago (no ML obviously) and it got very warm in my hand just shooting h264.

Regarding your first question, for what it's worth, I can get around 5-6 seconds at 1856x1044 (16:9) 24p before recording stops.  Haven't tried anything else yet, but I'll see what I can get for 10s at 2.35:1

kubodhi

Any of the pre-alpha testers available to do some dual-iso test stills for us?
550D->70D.111A, Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, YongNuo YN-468 II E-TTL Speedlite With LCD

DigitalVeil

Here's a few random 1856x1044 raw shots.  Literally no editing, just stretched to 1920x1080 and converted into an uncompressed 422 YUV 10bit mov.  Just uploading because cats  :P and to show the black bar on the left.
EDIT: Good lord youtube ravaged the quality... if anyone wants to see the un-violated raw footage I'll put it on google drive for download.

Quote from: kubodhi on January 12, 2015, 11:11:21 PM
Any of the pre-alpha testers available to do some dual-iso test stills for us?

Will do tomorrow when the sun is back out.  Might test out dual-iso raw video as well.

EDIT: Unless I don't know what I'm doing, dual ISO is not currently working.

ovspianist

nice video and lovely cats! so the top is still ~6 secs?

JamesArtur

Hey, im writing in connection to sd card slot limits... maybe the solution is to use wi fi module from 70d?
I knew that it had to be extremly fast wi fi connection, but would it be possible to sending all this raws in realtime with some high speed router? Or mayby divide output to all these 3 possibilities (sd, hdmi, wifi) not just 2 as you said before?

walter_schulz

http://www.canon.com.hk/cpx/en/technical/pa_Introduction_to_EOSWi-Fi_Functions.html
Compatible with 802.11b, g, n
Maximum 802.11n transfer speed is defined by Canon with 150 MBit/s = 18.75 MByte/s
And those are just specs ...

DigitalVeil

Quote from: ovspianist on January 13, 2015, 06:58:27 AM
nice video and lovely cats! so the top is still ~6 secs?

Specifically around ~135 frames, so closer to 5s at 24fps.  Not too great.  Lowering res will obviously grant a few extra seconds but at that point you might as well drop down to something sustainable.

Quote from: JamesArtur on January 13, 2015, 01:17:12 PM
Hey, im writing in connection to sd card slot limits... maybe the solution is to use wi fi module from 70d?
I knew that it had to be extremly fast wi fi connection, but would it be possible to sending all this raws in realtime with some high speed router? Or mayby divide output to all these 3 possibilities (sd, hdmi, wifi) not just 2 as you said before?

What walter said.  Wireless N is dependent on the number of antennas, the 70D probably only has one (based on Canon's defining 150Mbps) and that's only achievable without signal interference, which is the other problem.  Even if it could transfer at 600Mbps, wifi is easily interfered with and rates fluctuate.  It's nowhere near reliable enough for writing video files in real-time.

sixfootgeek

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Have there been any discussions about ML and the 70D and re-enabling wifi during video? It would be nice to use an iPad as a monitor, especially for touch focus pulling  :)

ShootMeAlready

6ft - Wifi for video would only work with H264.  Hardly worth the effort when you can buy DSLR controller app for $8 and put the Android tablet/Smartphone in the hotshoe via usb.
The wifi for ML shooting raw, is hopeless because of what Walter said.  TX rate to low.

There are a number of wifi solutions for DLSR controller app, but its Android. 

bigorna

Also, Page 251 of manual states that if WiFi is enabled, you can't shoot movies.

JohnnyG_71

@bigorna - Hi there!  That's why sixfootgeek was asking; to find out if ML could enable this feature.  That's a big part of ML; enabling great features that Canon has otherwise crippled.

@ShootMeAlready - Howdy!  Everyone has there own purposes and techniques for their individual needs.  I know a lot of you are mainly only interested in RAW video.  But for others, the ability to setup the camera for video and remotely control it from 100 feet away via WiFi, would be a highly sought after feature.  :D
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.