Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootMeAlready

Jano

The 7D MII has the clean HDMI output 4:2:2 8 bit.  It has the 70D AF system as far as locking.  You could on a monopod track movement as long as the subject stays in frame.  However its focus is obtained by dialling up the focus point using buttons.  What it does not do is pull focus by touch screen (if your very good with buttons or MF you can pull focus during video).  I dont think the 70D will ever get clean HDMI outs.  It will get RAW video, at 720p for the most part (see back posts last couple of pages for details) you may want to look at the 7DMII for steadicam work.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

janoschsimon

mehhhhhhhh that would suck cause i was a long time 7D MK I user and sold it to get the 70D and i like it alot :D raw would also be nice but perhaps its like the clean hdmi on the 5D MKIIII as a canon firmware update? me hopes :D

vagabondvisions

I bought my 70D just now on the strength of what it can do stock, but am so looking forward to a possible ML release for it.  Thanks much to the devs!

vagabondvisions

With regards to the discussion earlier about the 7DII versus the 70D, the main consideration is price point (at least, for me).  As I posted last night, I picked up my 70D for about $850, after shipping.  The 7DII will clock in around $1800 until prices start to drop a bit.  That leaves me with almost $1000 in my pocket to pick up accessories, such as the shoulder rig, battery grip, spare batteries, and memory cars I also ordered.  It also leaves me with enough cash to get another STM lens to take advantage of the 70D's smooth tracking focus.  If you are looking to pull focus manually, a follow focus rig is the best way to go, regardless of what camera you are using.  I'm holding off on a follow focus system addition to my rig until I see just what the 70D can do on its own.  As a beginning filmmaker, the 70D is speaking all the right language to me!

Felipe

70D has flip screen and touch screen , requires VAF filter, that is us $ 350 more, let see what the real test show with Moire on the 7D II, Also the 7D, seems to have better noise performance, but
let see, what the  real tests show about the 7D  in real life.
650D-700D

vagabondvisions

The 70D doesn't "require" a filter of any sort, let alone something like a VAF filter.  Why would I use something which both reduces my resolution and hinders the autofocus?  If noise or moire is an issue for someone, the options are better planning for the shot or using software tools in post production to reduce the noise or moire.  Neat Video and NoiseProof Pro do a fine job of this and without costing resolution.

If someone has the money and desire for a 7D, more power to them.  I would prefer to work within my budget to keep funds free for more or better lenses and other accessories.  The 70D will work nicely for me.

Felipe

VAF Filter is an absolut need for the 70D, I use The VAF with the 700D, 650D, SL1, No autofocus problems at all.
70D Moire is Huuuuge. What you have to do is buy the VAF, and sharp in post, Noise on Iso over 1600, is considerable, but controllable
As soon as ML be available for 70D, I'll jump on it. 7D Mark II Can wait but something to consider
650D-700D

vagabondvisions

I tend to plan my shots better and take more care in shooting so as to avoid work in post or at least make it more manageable.  I have had zero problems with software based noise removal and have no desire or need to stick something between my lens and my camera.

ShootMeAlready

Ok up till now I was excited about the fast video AF tracking of the 70D. 
So take a gander at these still photo racing shots made on the 70D.  All of the left turns made on a 70D, and some of the right turn as well.  Simply awesome.

https://flic.kr/p/pSixoL

As for the curious like me here's what the shooter told me:
"I used the 400mm f5.6L for that shot. Another lens I like and used for many shots is the 70-300mm L. "
"Shutter speeds were 400-1250 in shutter-priority mode – often with exposure compensation, ISO 160-640, F5.6-F9, AI Servo focus set for fast change. Many reasons for all changes of settings depending on whether panning or not etc.
All the shots from that left hand corner were with the 70D. Some of the others too but right-hand corners were about 70% with the 5DMKIII as I could get closer."
He also stated he was very happy with the 70D, and found some features lacking on the 7DMII, and since he told me he's bought every version of the 5D, I don't think cash was holding back.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

DigitalVeil

Wait...

Quote70D has flip screen and touch screen , requires VAF filter, that is us $ 350 more, let see what the real test show with Moire on the 7D II, Also the 7D, seems to have better noise performance, but
let see, what the  real tests show about the 7D  in real life.

You really think the 7D2 wont need a VAF filter if a 70D does?  The cameras are really not that far apart... from what I've read, the Moire problem is still there with the 7D2.  Either way, if the 70D "requires" a VAF filter, I'm assuming the 7D2 will also "require" one.

Anyway, I'm a proud new owner of a 70D, and I absolutely love it so far.  I ended up discovering Magic Lantern after ordering the camera, but at least I also have a 700D to use it on.  Very excited to see a 70D port is being worked on!  Bummer that the dev's work will be shelved until December, but at least it's in progress, and I can't wait to start using it on this 70D, especially if it enables clean HDMI 422 out.  :D
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

Felipe

By it self the 70D has 3 great advantages touch and flip screen, plus the possible ML, Not to mention price, Any way where did you read 7D Mark II, has Moire ?
Do you have a link or so ?
650D-700D

ShootMeAlready

So its kind of occurred to me, that when I shoot video with Tv priority (i.e. 24 fps, Shutter=1/50s, EV=0), on any of my zooms, that not only can I pull focus with touch screen,
but with AF facial recog. set it locks focus as I zoom.  And the interesting part is its not screwing around with aperture/shutter settings as I zoom, so the 70D is making my sigma 18-35mm parfocal!!!

It does the same for my sigma 50-150mm II f2.8.   It can behave the same with manual. 
Its just the Tv mode helps you get a fast consistent exposure when you dont need shallow DOF or if the lighting does not change.

If the light is changing as you pan/follow the subject or need shallow DOF then by all means use manual and you can still achieve a parfocal zoom.

So let's see the 70D not only pulls focus it can make a lens behave parfocal.  Rather awesome.
Not every camera has a decent AF live focus lock, so this is not common.

DigitalVeil

Is there any hope for clean HDMI 4:2:2 output on the 70D?  If Canon can enable it for the 5DIII in an official FW update, I get the feeling they could also do that or the 70D if they wanted to, but they most likely wont if only to help justify the 5DIII's price tag.  Just reviewing some footage I shot this morning and holy shit, the compression makes my eyes bleed.  Crazy how my 700D can shoot better looking video than my 70D because of ML, when I paid $550 for the 700D and $1K for the 70D.  Anyway, if ML can enable clean HDMI out, I will totally be getting an Atomos Ninja to pair it up with.

Nevermind, just saw this in the "don't request" section...  whomp.

No 1080p RAW for 70D.  A camera with so many awesome features, but doomed to yucky compression for eternity.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

rainless

You get what you pay for... There's always the 5D3... or the GH4... or the A7S...
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

GARoss

If your need for video is 50% or more of the time, you should purchase a GH4 or other TRUE video cameras. In my opinion, the GH4 is more like an 75-80% awesome video camera that takes decent stills but cannot match the 70d in photo sharpness & overall quality.

If you occasionally shoot video, but mostly photo, the 70d is perfect because even a novice can get decent results & the correct focus without too much effort. ML will improve the 70d but I doubt if 1080 will be achieved. Read the ML 60d thread. Expect similar but better results than what ML obtained with the 60d.
Canon EOS 70d w/kit lens Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM, Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron SP 150-600mm, Tamron 16-300mm

salmanilla

I use my 70D for darn near everything....  Its not very useful as a coffee cup, unfortunately....  I am looking for the MagicLantern Port to remedy that....  Any news on the ML Port?

Sal

DigitalVeil

Just thinking... the 7D2's LCD screen wont be a touchscreen right?  That kind of gimps the whole video autofocus thing.  The camera can't read your mind, and often times, if there's not a face to focus on, the focus will go somewhere other than where you want it to go.  Half of the reason the 70D's autofocus is such a joy to use is the ability to simply touch where you want the focus to go.  It's so easy to rack focus between 2 or more subjects in a shot.  I'm sure there will be a way to select focus points that aren't faces with the 7D2, but I doubt it could be anywhere near as just tapping.  The 7D2 should really have touchscreen to make best use of the dual pixel AF.

Here I was thinking that eventually, down the road, I'd upgrade from a 70D to a 7D2 and finally have all the features I need in an APS-C dslr (dual pixel AF, 1080p60, most likely 1080p30 raw, and the ability to use my Canon STM glass) but I really don't think I can give up touch-to-focus.

I wonder if Canon will ever make a prosumer-level DSLR with both touch-focus and a CF slot...

Quote from: GARoss on November 03, 2014, 03:35:17 PM
If your need for video is 50% or more of the time, you should purchase a GH4 or other TRUE video cameras. In my opinion, the GH4 is more like an 75-80% awesome video camera that takes decent stills but cannot match the 70d in photo sharpness & overall quality.

If you occasionally shoot video, but mostly photo, the 70d is perfect because even a novice can get decent results & the correct focus without too much effort. ML will improve the 70d but I doubt if 1080 will be achieved. Read the ML 60d thread. Expect similar but better results than what ML obtained with the 60d.

I do ~75% video and ~25% stills.  You're probably right about the GH4.  I don't know why I'm so loyal to Canon, they don't do much to deserve my loyalty.  I guess it's partly because of the money I have invested in Canon glass and my familiarity with Canon equipment.  When studying video production in college, we had mostly Canon and Sony gear.  I always went with the Canon video cameras and DSLRs, so now that's just what I'm comfortable working with.

IMO the 70D's AF still bests any mirrorless DSLR's AF system right now.  For shots where my focus distance is mostly static, I'll still manually focus, but for rack focuses and tracking while both the camera and subject are moving around, dual pixel AF and touchscreen is just unbeatable.

nikfreak

Nothing new besides that all is running fine in qemu. Waiting for nanomad to return. I would do the job but i have no options to buy a 70d atm.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

GARoss

I do ~75% video and ~25% stills.  You're probably right about the GH4.  I don't know why I'm so loyal to Canon, they don't do much to deserve my loyalty.  I guess it's partly because of the money I have invested in Canon glass and my familiarity with Canon equipment.  When studying video production in college, we had mostly Canon and Sony gear.  I always went with the Canon video cameras and DSLRs, so now that's just what I'm comfortable working with.

IMO the 70D's AF still bests any mirrorless DSLR's AF system right now.  For shots where my focus distance is mostly static, I'll still manually focus, but for rack focuses and tracking while both the camera and subject are moving around, dual pixel AF and touchscreen is just unbeatable.

DigitalVeil - In the early 2000's I did a lot of video work; weddings, etc. so, in my mind I want to cover both worlds; great video & photos. I'd love to find one product that fills my needs without compromise. But, these companies don't work like that. If they load one camera with virtually every needed feature they'd loose money! There would be no need to upgrade. Companies fill consumer needs to what price point the targeted consumer can afford & that's it. Consumers would ask why buy a EOS Mk5 III when I can save $2500 & get a 70D. The 70D has a smaller sensor but big deal. $2500 buys lots of great lenses. Like all companies, they do a market study & aim their product to hit that market.

Like you, I'm vested with Canon lenses. The truth is, Canon has that familiar feel that I've grown to like. Reinvesting in a new brand would be expensive. The GH4 IS very tempting & the truth is if were marginally close to the 70D's photo quality, I'd make that investment. But, as the GH4 blitzes the 70D in video; the 70D blitzes the GH4 in photo. I take more photos & that ends the debate.

Hope this helps!  :)

Canon EOS 70d w/kit lens Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM, Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron SP 150-600mm, Tamron 16-300mm

fever003

Quote from: nikfreak on November 03, 2014, 05:43:23 PM
Nothing new besides that all is running fine in qemu. Waiting for nanomad to return. I would do the job but i have no options to buy a 70d atm.

Someone buy this man a 70D

angelsl

Quote from: nikfreak on November 03, 2014, 05:43:23 PM

Would you consider pushing your changes somewhere so others can collaborate? (i.e. Hg)

Thanks.

X-STATE

Already bought one!  ;)
If nanomad knew that so will delay the port that might suggest someone from the developers to send the camera.
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

janoschsimon

nice x-state so you sent it to nik?  ;)

X-STATE

Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112