Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomJ

Quote from: Dark-Master on February 06, 2014, 09:47:10 AM
I'm not sure if there's one or not. But I saw a guy at my local camera store. He used 5D II with a Chinese battery grip from eBay that has intervalometer with LCD screen + buttons just for $30~40. I'm finding one for my 70D right now, as ML isn't available for this beauty, the 70D.

But I'm not so sure that it can hold up to such weather... I think it will do just fine for me in where I'm living.

Yeah, had that on the grip for the T4i, but not for the 70D. The one's I've found to be the most durable are the Meike grips (of the knock-offs) and the one for the 70D doesn't have any of those functions, just a straight Canon BG-E14 knock-off, no LCD, no timer...

Looking on Amazon, it appears that none of the grips for the 70D have the timer/LCD? Oh well...

Good idea though.

And I'm back to using my 20+ year-old USA-made CamJacket's and controlling the 70D with my cells wifi so I can close it completely up except the lens and still fully operate it/control from inside my parka and out of the wind and snow..., hah!

If I could trust leaving the cam on the tripod, I could go inside a coffee shop and control it from there. Looking for an intervalometer for Android, but no joy so far (the ones that claim to have to be tethered with a USB adapter cable).

Jakobmen

where are the ports for Canon 70D i will test it out.. :)
Canon 5D3

stun-dexim

Very bummed no support for ML on the 70D.  Just upgraded from t4i... thought i had confirmed support for 70d before I upgraded... but I must have been smoking something that day.   :-\  Anyway... interested if there is anything I can contribute.  Otherwise... I'll just be waiting patiently.

Jakobmen

pretty sure they need to wait for a firmware update..  :-\
Canon 5D3

nanomad

Get in touch with Alex if you are willing to start and maintain the port.

Right now no dev has one  that's why is not supported
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Jakobmen

I'll reach out to Alex then..  8)
Canon 5D3

fredoo

I can already see two different thread for the 70d port ..

cf : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6862.msg104363#msg104363

How about we merge these two so that info would not be split ?

Any updates over here about the FW dump for the 70D ?

TomJ

Quote from: fredoo on March 01, 2014, 02:52:01 PM
I can already see two different thread for the 70d port ..

cf : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6862.msg104363#msg104363

How about we merge these two so that info would not be split ?

Any updates over here about the FW dump for the 70D ?

Agree someone should merge these. I hadn't even seen that other thread till you mentioned it. No matter for me though, as much as I wish it so, no ML is being worked on for the 70D yet and playing with various show offerings coming out, there's a whole, wide world out there. Think BM cine (cheaper now with impending GH4 coming out) and the GH4. Some pretty significant changes in the wind.

ferraro

EOS 70D is not on the list. Being an updated version of 7D, would it work? Or I am too optimistic?

nanomad

See : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6862.0
Canon EOS 70D (RAW possibility)

And no, it's not an updated 7D by a long shot
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

X-STATE

Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

ShootMeAlready

Hey TomJ

How do you check focus/view display from the coffee shop?  I havent set up my 70D on wifi, but I like the idea of keeping warm.
I usually have to stop when my fingers get numb and an even greater source of shake sets in.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

TomJ

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on April 28, 2014, 03:16:03 PM
Hey TomJ

How do you check focus/view display from the coffee shop?  I havent set up my 70D on wifi, but I like the idea of keeping warm.
I usually have to stop when my fingers get numb and an even greater source of shake sets in.

Same way as using Canon EOS util tethered. Thing is, from the screen of a cell, it's not so easy if you're shallow DOF focus, so I genl'y use the cell to control when I have the body remote and shooting stopped down so I have a wide focal latitude. Low-angle shots is where doing this shines. Or very high on a tripod or something.

TomJ

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on April 28, 2014, 03:16:03 PM
Hey TomJ

Sorry mate, thought about it and should have given a step-by-step, sort of...

1. Download EOS Remote app and install.

2. Enable Wi-fi in camera settings.

3. Go to "Wi-fi Function" just below enable.

4. Register whatever nickname you want ("Shootme's 70D" or something like that)

5. Click "OK," then "OK" again.

6. Wi-fi function screen appears after the last OK, and touch/select "Connect to Smartphone"

7. Chose the default, "Camera access point mode" by pressing, "OK" at the bottom.

8. Chose the default, "Easy Connection" by pressing, "OK"

9. Next screen will be your "nickname" and an encryption key, that is the "password" you will enter in your phone.

Phone:

1. Ensure you have your wifi on (it doesn't need to be connected to a router, or anything, just needs to be "on.")

2. If you already have wifi passwords and routers in your phone, go into wifi, look for your camera's nickname in the phones wifi settings, select that and it will ask for a password for "shootme's 70D"

3. Enter the encryption key from the camera screen where the phone asks for password.

4. When you select, "Connect" on the phone, the camera screen should auto scroll to mac address info and such. No need for any of that, you are already (mostly) connected at this point. Now set the camera down somewhere (preferably where you can get some nice upskirts or something entertaining) in AF mode (Manual mode if you want, but lens on AF)

5. Go BACK to EOS Remote, select "Camera Connection" again and it should now show your camera's info.

6. Select, "Pairing" on that screen of your phone. It should then say, "Connected" just above the "Pairing" icon.

7. Select all the, "OK's" on the camera, hit "Menu" to exit the setup mode in the camera, and "Menu" again to exit to live-view on the camera (I turn my screen around so no one can see it if I'm shooting in public - like time-lapses of a mall or something).

8. Go "Back" on your phone to the main EOS Remote menu page and select, "Remote Shooting."

9. Tips: I use a spot-focus for most of my shooting, so I just touch the box on the phone and it corresponds to focus on the camera, whatever I tell it to focus on, yes? To change shutter, aperture, iso, just touch the corresponding icon on the lower part of the phone's screen. (example; 1/60, F1.8, ISO 640)

10. Take remote pics of pretty girls and post for all to see... (or hot dudes for the ladies here..., don't want to be sexist or anything...)

TomJ

Oh, and don't forget to disable wifi in-camera when you're done, no need to suck battery power unnecessarily.

bilgebay

Hi Giovanni, were you able to purchase the camera ? Just wondering where we are now  :-\

cheers

Sedat

X-STATE

I think from that that there is no need to disturb the developer issues. Faster port this does not appear. Once nanomad will tell us that he will do it immediately. :)
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

nanomad

Uh right sorry. I have the camera beside me [emoji3]

I've started working on it, but it's something that takes time as it's also a good occasion for fixing some minor ML quirks that I find along the way

Jakobmen

Quote from: nanomad on April 29, 2014, 08:37:55 PM

I've started working on it, but it's something that takes time as it's also a good occasion for fixing some minor ML quirks that I find along the way

:'(
Canon 5D3

TomJ

...I've started working on it, .....

Hey..., that's good enough for me!! :-) :D

Dark-Master

This thing is getting groovy!

"70D X"

bilgebay

Fantastic news Sir! Take your time!

maitimaus

Good News  :) :) :)
ML will rock the 70Db ;)

Pelican

Don't forget the blog about the porting...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

ebulb

interested to follow the progress on this...

nanomad... I saw you mentioned you were interested in the possibilities with WiFi on 70D.. I would be interested to see what evolves from that also.. it would be great if there was a way of getting live view over WiFi with controls for start/stop and other basic functions.. hope it goes well.