[CHDK] Canon Powershot G16

Started by nadeemtron, October 03, 2013, 10:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nadeemtron

I shoot mostly with canon 5d mk iii's (and raw with komputerbay cards has been phenomenal - thank you ML!).

Now, what's missing for me is when I'm at an upscale event or out biking around and something incredible happens. I need to whip a small camera out without making a big scene. Enter the G16, which just arrived for me today...without manual video.

Manual controls here would be dynamite. And the video isn't all that bad for cutting into a run-and-gun documentary, b-roll for almost any use, or random (image stabilized!) newsreel on the fly.

Any ideas on whether something like this is possible? What are the limits with the G16? Given the fact that it can do 1080p60, is it reasonable to believe that it might even be able to do 720p24 RAW at some point? Obviously manual control first, raw second.

Just wondering if others have started thinking about the use case for the G16 in pro-ish video and the tenability of manual control via magic lantern.

Thanks!
Nadeemtron

maxotics

You bought the wrong camera, Nadeem!  You want an EOS-M.  It can do 1280x720 14bit color RAW.  Also, ML is mostly EOS cameras; CHDK for Powershots.  You have a 5D3 now?  You know how to live ;) -- Max

nadeemtron

Ha! Small world max. I'll have to ask your advice if I end up getting the EOS-M (or EOS-MII!). I am going to return the pocket cameras I've been testing. The sensor is just too small for meaningful video work - and I'm not talking bokeh, I'm talking basic quality. Although the floating sensor/optical flow going on in the g16 is pretty amazing. I wouldn't turn that down at all if it happened to pop up in the MII.

My main gripe is this: I need 1080p30 (or 24) footage from canon in a formfactor that fits in my pocket and the footage needs to compete with a t2i.

Would you say the t2i with 22mm pancake is pocketable? How do you feel about the RAW video you've been messing around with? Saw your vimeo test from porter square - looks decent!

-N