Air guitar/drums/theremin?

Started by dmk, August 29, 2013, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmk

Just thought of a funky idea... not sure it would be much use, and not sure if I'll break my head over it just yet, but for now I'm wondering it the scripting capabilities would allow it

1) Display overlay image for liveview. Specifically this overlay image could be, for example, a drumset placed over the lower 1/3 of the screen (most useful if via external monitor)

2) Detect collision between predefined object (say a green square) in real life and overlay (this could be simple detection- bounding boxes)

3) Play sound file which was stored on card at volume determined by program (ideally, velocity of collision), or generate real-time wav for playing through headphone jack.

The possibilities here could be really cool, since the high definition of cameras ML runs on, you could get some really detailed control/movements....

dmk

Of course, this is something that could probably done easily via plugging the camera into Max/MSP/Jitter or something like that... but it would be nifty to have it all-in-one in the camera :D

There could be other uses for that same idea with more usefulness... like emitting loud beeps when someone's about to bump into the camera (would require heavy processing though, I think) or when an actor goes out of frame (that could be useful and maybe not too hard depending on how they stand out from the scene)...

dmk

I guess, for starters, how would one play a sine wav with mic_out()? That might be some useful sample code...

a1ex

Look in beep.c. There's no scripting interface yet for it; not even a public API.

dmk

Cool, thanks for the lead... I see it calls StartASIFDMADAC() but I'm not sure where to look for documentation on that?

Might not be able to dig into this for real till next week, but I appreciate the knowledge in advance :)

a1ex

There is no documentation for that, just guesswork.

dmk

Haha, awesome  8)

Will come back to this when I have some more time to play, beep.c is a perfect starting point- thanks!