Hourly builds

Started by stevefal, August 26, 2013, 01:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevefal

So many commits, so many cameras - wouldn't it be nice if hourly builds were available for anyone to test?

If I dedicated a machine to the task, anyone interested in writing a script to buildall and push bins to a branch every hour?
Steve Falcon

Marsu42

Quote from: stevefal on August 26, 2013, 01:04:54 AM
So many commits, so many cameras - wouldn't it be nice if hourly builds were available for anyone to test?

I see that you might want to see this to get quick opinions for gui changes, but my 2ct is that anyone who cannot wait some hours for the nightly compile should probably learn to compile ml :-) But of course go ahead if you want to contribute some cpu cycles to global warming, it shouldn't be hard to modify the nightly build script accordingly, actually you could trigger a re-build for every commit and provide a "ml-latest.zip".

If even more alpha builds are made available, ml should probably think again about also providing "point" releases again which are selected because they happen to contain only a smaller amount of work in progress - the advice for people who want ml on a new camera to "just use the last nightly build" imho isn't an ideal one.

nanomad

ML development hardly happens at the "hour" level. There are more chances of getting a broken build that way too.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

stevefal

My understanding is that not all cameras get nightly builds. If alphas were built nightly I'd be using those on my 5D3.
Steve Falcon

Marsu42

Quote from: nanomad on August 26, 2013, 03:20:32 PM
ML development hardly happens at the "hour" level. There are more chances of getting a broken build that way too.

Well, the nightly build also is just branched at a random point and could be broken the same way - and it'd get fixed only 24h later, while a hourly build would only take 1h to get the bugfix.

Another thought: Much of the ml development also happens in external repos that are only pulled now and then, so hourly builds would only catch the changes made by some devs.

Quote from: nanomad on August 26, 2013, 03:20:32 PM

I think there's a really good reason not to deliver nightly builds of pre-alpha code - can you guess :-> ?

nanomad

Quote from: stevefal on August 26, 2013, 03:23:02 PM
My understanding is that not all cameras get nightly builds. If alphas were built nightly I'd be using those on my 5D3.

They will come shortly. Worry not.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

stevefal

That's great. Then it's just a question of frequency. Maybe every N hours if there was a commit in that time. Of course N could = 24.
Steve Falcon