ML Newb - comparing the 60D and 6D

Started by replaysMike, August 15, 2013, 07:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

replaysMike

Hi all  ::)

I've currently got a 60D and 6D in front of me, and I'm testing both cameras capabilities for HDMI out. I don't know if I'm blind but I can't seem to find if ML can enable clean HDMI out on either of those models (i.e. no UI, full resolution and 1080p possible?). Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm just starting my research on these cameras, I know the MKIII can do it now through Canon's firmware but the price is beyond my reach for this project (large number of cameras!)

Thanks!

replaysMike

Bumping this up because I've been searching the ML forum and haven't been able to find the answer. We would even pay for this feature, but I don't know if the hardware is capable of doing it. My next solution is to beg/plead with Canon engineers for a solution.

1%

The answer is no for now. You can clear overlays but you still have the bars. 6D has a chance of reversing the 5DIII method but just in theory.

replaysMike

Thank you for the reply. I finally installed the ML firmware on my demo unit and confirmed the UI does get disabled. The image is still pillarboxed into the 3:2 aspect ratio - would be fantastic if there was a way in ML to simply stretch it since it clearly can't output it native. I'll take a look at the source code myself and see what might be possible, but I would love to hear from someone who knows more about the 5DIII method to see if it is mostly because of hardware differences or if it was simply software.

replaysMike

I should also note that I'm unsure if the firmware is compatible with the 6D, I haven't tried it yet. Nothing in the installation guide that mentions 6D support so I'm going to surmise for now that it isn't supported.

And for others that stumble on this thread, I've found that the Panasonic GH3 ($1299, Micro 4/3) does support clean HDMI out and at 1080p60 too (yet to test)! Other cameras in higher price ranges include:

Nikon D600 ($1999, Full Frame)
Nikon D800 ($2800, Full Frame)
Sony A99 ($2800, Full Frame)
Panasonic GH2 (replaced by GH3)
Nikon D4 ($6000, Full Frame)
Canon 5D Mark III ($3500, Full Frame, using new Canon firmware update)

1%

Its not, but uhm... programming and stuff

Except for 5DIII canon dslrs don't make good studio cams because of sucky HDMI. This is not new.

replaysMike

Don't worry, you're talking to a seasoned programmer here not a photographer.

4:2:2 color compression is about the only valid reason for that ASFAIK. HD-SDI can carry 4:4:4 but rarely is that kept through an entire digital workflow. There are a lot of uses for using these cameras in the studio if you work within the limits. If we could only get around the HDMI output limitations Canon forces to use we would have a wicked capable camera. (In my case, special effects as seen at http://www.youtube.com/user/360Replays)