16 month long time lapse is about to start... bad idea?

Started by jam1chicago, August 19, 2013, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam1chicago

Hey guys I'm embarking on a long term Time Lapse project, looking to shoot a 16 month long construction of a building. I've done tons of time lapse videos before (both intervalometer style and using magic lantern), so I'm comfortable making them, but never did something THIS long before.

My questions to you all...

The location is pretty far off from my home. I'll have a secure location for camera to remain throughout the 16 months. I'm thinking of using magic lantern's built in intervalometer to shoot a photo every hour (Canon 5D mk ii).

Do you think that having the camera running constantly through the AC adapter will be a bad idea?

Francis

Don't have any experience with anything that long (longest was 3 weeks on AC), but it seems like there wouldn't be any problem as long as it wasn't in liveview and your power supply never gets interrupted. My question would be do you have enough storage for 16months? What is your interval going to be?

I can't imagine not being able to use my 5d2 for 16months. By then there might be a mk 3. I would totally devote my 550D.

jam1chicago

Thanks for that info!

I'd definitely be visiting the camera every other week to dump the card and such. I'm thinking about 1 photo per hour. So a nice 64 gig card should do justice just fine on the storage end of things.

Luckily the client will be purchasing the camera specifically for the project so I don't have to part with my own :) plus I'll get to keep the camera once the project is over yippy

taneryildirim

I would not do that of you don't have a waterproof (rain, fog) and dust proof (believe me, dust is everywhere) housing available. I am now doing a time lapse project which should last for 5 years. The project is running smooth the first 5 months now. The main problem was heat and dust. Don't know where you are planning to put this camera but in southeast Anatolia (Turkey) we have sometimes over 55 degrees.

BTW: I don't use a dslr for this project. And I wouldn't ever use one.