[Module/5D3] SMPTE experiment, not usable

Started by g3gg0, August 19, 2013, 01:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherDave

I still can't get any of the smart slate apps to read it.

I did read somewhere that you could put a time stamp in the header of the file, which could be read and interpreted into TC by the conversion program (mlv2dng).

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

AnotherDave

Still nothing showing up for me on the smartslate apps...

*Just a thought.  I know it would be more difficult to create a module that reads TC audio, but would it be possible?  If you could create one that read the signal, and sync the camera's internal clock with to it (it'd have to be free run tc) that would be even better as it would allow you to eliminate the need to output the signal (and whatever hardware you would use to do it).

That'd also have the added advantage of allowing people to sync multiple 5D3s with and iPhone running TC Toolbox.

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

g3gg0

Quote from: AnotherDave on August 20, 2013, 07:34:06 PM
Still nothing showing up for me on the smartslate apps...

*Just a thought.  I know it would be more difficult to create a module that reads TC audio, but would it be possible?  If you could create one that read the signal, and sync the camera's internal clock with to it (it'd have to be free run tc) that would be even better as it would allow you to eliminate the need to output the signal (and whatever hardware you would use to do it).

That'd also have the added advantage of allowing people to sync multiple 5D3s with and iPhone running TC Toolbox.

as said. i would prefer to first have the output working, then i want to integrate it.
and then we can talk about such stuff

g3gg0

had any time to test the new version yet?

stevefal

I have a variety of LTC gear, but I'm getting no output from the module. 5D3.

[EDIT] Ah, movie mode :) I'll give it a try.
Steve Falcon

stevefal

No lock at all. The LTC audio is not a clean square wave.
Steve Falcon

AnotherDave

Sorry this update totally got past me.

Just tested it out with BAD, but GOOD results too!  It is outputting a signal the TC Toolbox can read... but... it's all garbled.  :-/

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21985365/IMG_1426.MOV

Took a video of the iPad screen so you can see what it is doing.

stevefal

Clean timecode

Output from SMPTE module
Steve Falcon

mageye

@stevefal

Looks like it's being LPF'd  :(
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

stevefal

Quote from: mageye on August 21, 2013, 09:27:35 PM
Looks like it's being LPF'd  :(

Yep, but it's nothing I'm doing. I've double-checked by looking at the 5D3 output directly on a scope. Same thing.
Steve Falcon

g3gg0

thanks a lot, this maybe helps finding the problem.
stay tuned

g3gg0

AnotherDave

Nope.  Still coming through garbled for me... just the same as before.

g3gg0

you tried toggling the inversion options in the menu?

AnotherDave

yep.  doesn't make a difference.  looks just like the video I posted earlier...

tob

The waveform looks more like square, with the latest module.

I recorded 4 files with the module posted for 1 hour ago. The files are around 13s each, 44100khz, mono, 32-Bit depth. With all settings VSYNC <-> ASIF offset = 40, output volume = 127.

smpte_test_OFF_OFF.wav   Invert output [OFF], Invert parity [OFF]
smpte_test_OFF_ON.wav   Invert output [OFF], Invert parity [ON]
smpte_test_ON_OFF.wav   Invert output [ON], Invert parity [OFF]
smpte_test_ON_ON.wav   Invert output [ON], Invert parity [ON]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34148361/test/smtpe_test.zip

stevefal

Same for me - the waveform is much closer but still no lock
Steve Falcon

stevefal

Steve Falcon

g3gg0

AnotherDave

Same deal for me.... TC is all over the place.  Just like in the video, no change when flipping through settings.

stevefal

I haven't tried to decode the datastream visually, but I can see that there are issues with the first few bits after the sync word. The issues seem to vary, but here's one example. The highlighted area starts at bit 76. You can see that bit 79, which should be a 1, transitions at its midpoint, but at its endpoint it does not transition. It continues on to the next bit at the same level. It also has invalid transitions in the next few bits.

Here's another with the same issue, and another mix-up in the next few bits:

Steve Falcon

stevefal

The signal envelope also pulses on a 15 frame interval. I suppose it shouldn't affect decoding, but maybe it's a clue:

Steve Falcon

g3gg0

Aaah damn... i know what is wrong.
Will fix tonight.
Thanks