First time user, should I or shouldn't I?

Started by Cave_dweller, August 17, 2013, 10:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cave_dweller

Basically I now know the meaning behind the saying "curiosity killed the cat". I came across videos about this software on youtube this morning and I'm all for trying new things, but I have a few concerns.

My Canon 550D is my first and only DSLR. Basically I'm on a low income at the moment and can't afford a new DSLR so I'm a bit afraid of tinkering around with it in case I mess up and make it unusable. With this software if I mess up is there a way to remove it so the camera will be back to factory settings and software?

Also, I now have got the hang of my 550D and I know all the settings and where the buttons are with only looking through the viewfinder. With the ML software will these settings and buttons still be the same when taking still photos. Sometimes I like my camera to be quick to set up in case I see something that isn't going to happen again for a good photo opportunity.

Any advice would be appreciated as I really want to try it out.

SDX

ML won't mess with your button configuration. Also, ML will stay on your SD-card, it's nowhere else.
Just give it a shot and see if you like it (you'll). Removing it is just a matter of seconds. We have had no one complaining about bricked 550Ds yet.

Cave_dweller

Followed everything correctly and it didn't work. A white screen popped up just after going through the menu to perform an update and it said "autoexec.bin missing". The files I downloaded for ML are different than any videos so I just copied the one 550 onto my sd card.

what's the best program to use to unzip the files?

Michael Zöller

neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Cave_dweller

Sorry whats rtm? lol I copied the 550d file and the autoexec.bin one, then it said the font file was missing so I copied all them and it still says they are missing. I must be doing something wrong.

Cave_dweller

Still not getting it to work. Copied all the files from the download off this site and it keeps saying that the FONTS.DAT file is missing even though it isn't. Tried everything

SDX

Where is Font.dat placed? It should be under ML/FONTS/

You'll have to copy over all required files in their original file structure. So, basically, just the ML folder (with all its subfolders and files), the autoexec.bin and the .fir file for installation.
BTW: start out with 2.3. If you want to update to the nightly, do it afterwards by replacing files, that's much easier.

Cave_dweller

Worked!! I copied the whole ML folder rather than all the files out of it and it is fine. It was just a little mistake but shows that you gotta do things right lol.

Gonna have a play around with it now, looks great so far and I've only seen the green confirmation screen lol.