Speed of focus stacking or HDR capture ?

Started by D600vince, August 16, 2013, 10:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D600vince

Hi,

Currently I use helicon remote to do focus stacking capture, but it's slow because it takes few seconds to do each shot. I'm quiet disappointed, because I wished to have some frame peers seconds speed and not seconds par frame speed. Basically I'd like to do focus stacking or HDR capture in burst mode or close to, to be able to make it handheld

So, how speedy are those feature with magic lantern ?

Thanks

P.S : I can't myself yet because I'm a nikon d600 user, who considers a switch to canon due to ML

Walter Schulz

I doubt the standard HDR/focus stacking features implemented in ML will please you. Several shots per second?
HDR may be done by Dual ISO which is just delivered fresh from the code bench. Means: Work in progress.
But focus stacking: No, not possible to shoot that fast.

Haven't tested it yet but it might be a technique work evaluating for focus stacking: Shot in RAW video mode, move the cam forwards/backwards and stack the frames together. There will be motion blur to be considered as one of the caveats and - of course - the limited resolution in all the RAW video modes.

May I ask which shutter speed you use in a typical focus stack situation?

Ciao, Walter

PS: I hope Marsu42 will add his thoughts on this issue.

D600vince

1 or 2 fps could be ok.
1/60 shutter speed minimum

With Helicon remote, on my nikon it's 10s/frame. If I could do 10 frame in 10 seconds it would be much nicer.

If only it could go as fast as max frame per second it would be awesome. In the future I imagine you'll be able take a group of 3 people head, at 2.8 to preserve background bokeh and the camera would automatically do 6 shots, focusing each eye (thanks to facial recognition) in 1 second or less.

Or when you'd do handheld landscape the camera could focus stack everything leveraging depth of field and HDR with 12 view in 1 seconds

If only camera manufacturer were more proficient computer engineers. It's so frustrating

I hope sony will shake things up in 2014, ditching mirror and then obturator would permit amazing things. Let's pray that manufacturers will create true SDK. With an app store (sony started their app store, but only for them).

Also samsung published their SDK, did someone looked at it ?