.RAW files invisible

Started by Chalk, August 15, 2013, 12:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalk

Hi.  Although i really do hate posting 'help me' questions i've just spent the best part of an hour searching these forums to see where i might be going wrong and can't find anything, although i suspect someone here will have a simple answer.

I just installed the Aug 6th build on the Mark III - It all seems to be working fine apart from one small thing. After doing a few test records in RAW mode, i connect the camera up, browse into the 100EOS5D directory and there's nothing there. I did a HDR test and that MOV appeared fine. Also a h264 video appeared in there. It just seems to be the RAW ones that don't appear...... 

Also must be noted that using the file manager module through the camera DOES show RAW files there... which is why im so confused as to not being able to copy them off the card - its definitely recording... .  Its a Lexar 1000x by the way, and ML is booting off the separate SD.  Could this be a weird window problem and i might need specific software to even see the raw files? Not had that problem with raw stills off the camera before......

Any quick help appreciated.  :o

mageye

I am not sure but I am thinking that maybe the OS is treating the files as 'hidden'.

I am working on an assumption that you are maybe working in Windows 7? (I don't know why?)

If that's so you can try showing hidden system files.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/show-hidden-files-windows-7.htm

I am sorry if I am totally wrong with my assumptions but you never mentioned which OS you were using!

I hope that helps?
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Chalk

Thanks for the reply!  I just thought i'd double check but no all hidden files are set to be shown so it must be something else.  Very odd as just after recording a few test files windows does show the card as having '2gb used' it just doesn't show any files at all, nor gives any indication of any files being there and hidden. Just empty and 0 files....    I'm trying to find a thread i was readin about the aug 2nd build but i think that was to do with a problem converting the files......  not finding them in the first place!  - I am just connecting the camera with a USB cable....... surely that wouldn't be selective in which files it would show right!?

mageye

OK. I think the problem might be the fact that you are trying to access these files directly from your camera. I just tried to do this and when you hook the camera up through the USB it brings up the canon import software.

Seeing as Canon only really ever expected that you would be transferring *.mov files and *.cr2, *.jpg files etc.

That is all you will see. Also the card or camera doesn't appear like a 'mass storage device' so it can't be addressed as a drive in itself. This means that you will indeed have no access to files other than the ones that canon would expect and want you to see. It's not Canons fault it's just the fact that they didn't ever envisage that you would want to copy a *.RAW file from the camera.

However when I use a USB card reader and insert the card in there I can see all of the files on the card. I believe this is the problem. So you were right. It would be selective!

Use a card reader they are not that expensive. I don't think there are any other options (unless I am completely wrong? ::))
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Chalk

I was starting to think this might be the only possible option as well.

I would still find that strange though, i'm bypassing canons image importer and just browsing the contents as you would a normal drive... unless the drivers which are connecting the cam to the pc are selective like that as well.....   

guess i'll nip out and get a CF card reader and see if that does the trick!