600D video length limit - am I doing something wrong here

Started by ralphrwatson, August 13, 2013, 10:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphrwatson

I have a Canon EOS 600D which I purchased from a friend specifically to shoot good quality video for my Youtube channel. However, it appears to have a limit of about 12 minutes and I can't find anything in the menu to extend or change that.

Am I doing something wrong or is there some kind of update I need?  I'm a total dummy here so if anybody can give me the idiot's guide to sorting this I'd be very grateful.

many thanks

Andy600

It's Canon's way of telling you it's not a video camera. The record time limitations are for legal reasons.

However, you could always install Tragic Lantern and format your card to exFat ;)

Make sure you install Magic Lantern 2.3 first and check that it's working before swapping to Tragic Lantern.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Datadogie

T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

kmx_07

You can disable sound and/or change the Bit Rate in ML to make it run longer. It can go as long as 30min or 4gb, whichever comes first is when it cuts off.
Canon EOS 600D - EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS