7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank7D

I found out why I didn't have ml grayscale; I had canon overlays turned on. Once I hit the info button to get rid of them, the ml preview appeared.

Frank7D

Hi, I searched for this issue but couldn't find it.
Is this to be expected (occasionally) when shooting crop mode?
Good frame:

The next (bad) frame:

1%

Global draw or MLV writing out a meta data frame can do that. To be safer you can at least turn of GD and dialog timers while recording.

Frank7D

Using 1/14/14 build.
Is separate wav audio recording working with raw_rec?
No wav files are showing up for me.

ted ramasola

no wav for raw_rec. Only with MLV_rec.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

feureau

speaking of MLV_rec, does anyone a good MLV batch converter for windows?

ted ramasola

Though your question was already answered in the other thread you posted it I'm still answering it here for those with the same inquiry.
For viewing and converting MLVs to DNG and WAV use mlvviewsharp and mlvbrowsesharp by g3ggo http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8447.0
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

machinez

My 7D menu says I can only record at 1728x972 when I select 1920, however I've found that when I hit the magnifier +, then then magnifier -, it'll record at 1920x1080 RAW. I was able to get 315 frames on Lexar 1000x 16GB CF. Anybody have any more info?

Thought I was alone, but then Googled it and found someone else discovered it last month.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuQDZFPH_xQ
current 5D3/7D/50D/SL1/EOS-M/1D3/1DS2
former 6D/5D2/5Dc/1DS3/30D/T1I

1%

Change the aspect ratio.

machinez

The highest I see in the menu is Aspect ratio 3:2 @ 1728x1152. Skipped a frame at 239 frames.
I tried the other way again (crop mode?) on 16:9. Got 437 frames @ 1920x1080 before skipping a frame.
Why does crop mode get a higher resolution?

1%

5x is different and less stuff runs. It could go faster or slower. The 1152 is continuous for me with buffer mode 3.

machinez

"Buffer Fill Method" In Raw video settings? Mine as set to 4 by default. Is there any write-up as to what each method does?

I got a 1/3 as many frames changing the setting from 4 to 3.

1%

Your card could also be too slow for these resolutions. I'm using the KB 64gb

machinez

I was peaking out at 86.6MB/s on infinite buffer test at buffers around 30000K +/- 2000k

1%

Thats in play mode with the LV off.

What kind of speeds do you get in raw/mlv rec?

machinez

ted ramasola

Did you set your Photo stills to;

RAW-None
Jpeg-L

Having Raw stills set to anything sometimes slow down raw video datarate. At least thats what I know from previous builds. I could be wrong with current ones.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

machinez

If you are talking about the Quality screen on the default Canon firmware menu, it is set to RAW and No JPG

ted ramasola

yes on the canon menu. first tab. first item. Quality. Set it to Raw-None and JPG to anything. Then see if you still have skip frames.

Also try these settings.
buffer-2 GD-On MLVSound-yes

you should have no problems with these resolutions and aspect ratios.

1728 x 1036 5:3

1728 x 972 16:9

I tested this with Jan 10 tragic Lantern. It stops at 40gig but since you only have a 16gig card that's moot ;)
If you have a 64 gig cf card use Jan 6 or 7 tragic lantern.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

vnguyen972

Tried the 1/20 build and raw2dng is unable to read the raw? tried rawanizer and it couldn't extract DNG files as well... not sure what i did wrong...

EDIT: I figured out.. in rawanizer, if I click Add Timestamp, it can't work on the raw files ...lol ..so I removed the timestamp and it worked! sorry for the false alarm.. i don't know why raw2dng doesn't work though... oh well
Love my EOS7D!

Frank7D

Trying 1/20/14 build.
When I view (play) a raw file using file manager, and hit pause, then select exit, camera freezes and I have to turn it off.

vnguyen972

I wonder how one uses it on set... when it comes to viewing the previous shots... I want to shoot raw on my next short film but I still can't figure out the best way to save time
Love my EOS7D!

Frank7D

You can view them in file manager if you have two modules loaded: the file manager module (file_man), and also the mlv_play (or called something like that, not at home now). Just don't pause and then exit or your camera may freeze (which would force you to turn it off to resolve).

1%

Maybe a bug in MLV play.

Midphase

Quote from: vnguyen972 on January 22, 2014, 10:44:57 PM
I wonder how one uses it on set... when it comes to viewing the previous shots... I want to shoot raw on my next short film but I still can't figure out the best way to save time

Your best bet is to do what I just did on our recent film and use MLRawViewer on a laptop. Playback is perfect and it was so easy to manage right from the CF card.