Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felipe

Some time ago I was wondering why the external flash in live view didn't work using ML options, Well this might be good info for one of the developers like
mk11174 or Alex, The SL1 or 100D, Does fire external flashes in live view, I'm not a developer , but probably one of you guys could check the code and see
how it goes to apply it to the 650D, 700D or probably to all those ML Cameras that don't do this,
650D-700D

lynx

Quote from: lucawen on March 06, 2014, 05:54:32 PM
Sorry for my question, who to use Digital Zoom in the 650D? It's possible??

yes it is possible with the version of ML I am using on my 650d. I am not sure which one it is though... Here is a video showing the use of it: https://vimeo.com/70659075

It is not ditigal zoom in the respect that it crops the image. It samples the pixels closer to the center of sensor rather than pixels spread across the sensor (video mode does not use 100% of all pixels on the sensor). It barely reduces the quality of the image...

Nautilus

Magic Lantern is installed to my camera (650D) almost for a year now. I'm doing street interviews and there are only 2 features i need of it:

1) Magic Zoom to get the focus right as quick as possible.
2) Headphone monitoring to be sure of my audio levels & to notice unexpected noises.

So far Magic Latern gave me neither (satisfactorily).

Problems related to Magic Zoom:

-First of all it is so pixellated that shooters (like myself) having hard time picking the details. Canon's own zoom method (when pressed magnification button) is far more sharper even though its magnification level is far more advanced.

-It flickers so badly while recording. (Also present when not recording, but not as much) It is so annoying that renders whole Magic Zoom useless because you can't see a thing.

Problems about headphone monitoring:

-It hasn't been implemented yet. (Though thanks to mk11174 and Alex i can see my audio levels on screen)
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

spider

Quote from: lynx on March 17, 2014, 10:39:30 AM
It barely reduces the quality of the image...
It improves the quality of the image.

edge11

Is any one getting continuous 720p mlv? If so what card/ setting are you using?
I'm only getting exactly 1:50 seconds of footage with a san disk extreme 80mb/s uhs-1 class 10 32gb card. Is there any way to get 720p continuous mlv? Would a 90mb/s card help or am i already over killing it because of the controller speed limit?
also,
I got this on the 14/3/17 nightly build after changing the buffer fill method to 2 in the mlv settings.

I switched back to Buffer 4, made my warm up to, used it a bit, everything was fine. I then decided to use the frame skipping allow option and showed me this screen after the 1:50 seconds.

lynx

Quote from: spider on March 17, 2014, 09:14:48 PM
It improves the quality of the image.

I am sorry if this is the wrong place for this discussion in advanced.

That is interesting to hear Spider. I have no way to prove how the image quality is affected by movie crop mode, but it appears (to my naked eye) to soften the image. Movie crop mode does improve, or completely alleviate moire aliasing by creating less or no space between effective pixels. This can be considered and improvement. Do you have more information on how movie crop mode affects the image quality? I can't find to much info about it myself.

Also, Movie crop mode basically turns your sensor into one 1/3 the size, and takes away that beautiful depth of field that we get from the  beautiful large sensors of dslrs, one of the things that attracted people to use dslrs for movie making in the first place. I have found movie crop mode useful when trying shooting an object far away with out a good telephoto lens on hand, and I am glad I have it on the camera for that purpose. I have shot a couple of stage performance using it, and helped me get good close ups of the performers from a long distance with a 17-55mm lens. Thank you ML!

blade

QuoteIs any one getting continuous 720p mlv? If so what card/ setting are you using?
I'm only getting exactly 1:50 seconds of footage with a san disk extreme 80mb/s uhs-1 class 10 32gb card. Is there any way to get 720p continuous mlv? Would a 90mb/s card help or am i already over killing it because of the controller speed limit?

The controller is the limiting factor, a faster card will not help.  Sorry
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

edge11

Quote from: blade on March 19, 2014, 09:44:00 PM
The controller is the limiting factor, a faster card will not help.  Sorry
I figured. I can squeeze an extra 10 seconds out of it with global draw off, I'm peaking at 36.8mb/s then after the 2 minute mark it the mb/s goes down until it eventually skips a frame. Any other suggestions as to how to get more time out of 720p raw?

blade

as far as i know, you are out of luck, decrease the resolution and you will be fine.

nanomad

New features starting from the next build:
- Defishing and Anamorphic preview
- Expsure Sim control in LV/Photo mode
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

gtyyxray

Hi everyone,

i need some HELP here, as my Canon 650D not showing Dual ISO in ML.

Compared the setting with another Camera that come with ML. Is that normal?

Walter Schulz

Access Module tab, activate DUAL_ISO.MO, restart cam.
It seems to be a rather outdated build you're using. You may switch to a more recent nightly build.

Felipe

Quote from: nanomad on March 22, 2014, 11:17:05 AM

That is going to help a lot to us Live view shooters, Great :D
650D-700D

Frendo

Hello, is there any side, for good Setting for ML... thx
54V3 Y0UR 5377!NG5

Rewind

Quote from: Frendo on March 22, 2014, 06:56:42 PM
Hello, is there any side, for good Setting for ML... thx
Every possible setting may be good for some purpose ;)

blade

Nautilus

Today, just out of curiosity i decided to see what happens if i use Sescom A/V to 3.5mm jack converter cable (intended for headphone monitoring) on my 650D.

Screen went black the moment i plugged it in. Then there were codes on the screen when i took it out. Here's a screenshot of what was going on:

There were also numerous .LOG files generated in the parent directory of my SD card. If anyone wants to look at them, download from here: http://s3.dosya.tc/server20/uwAZQR/logs.rar.html

More pics on topic:

First picture was taken when the cable plugged in for the first time. You can see the screen went dark. The second one is when the cable plugged out. Third was taken to show that ML menu was still usable when the message was displayed in LV. Fourh was taken to show that Canon menu was usable when the message was displayed in LV.

The cable I used in this "experiment":
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

edge11

Quote from: blade on March 20, 2014, 03:22:36 PM
as far as i know, you are out of luck, decrease the resolution and you will be fine.
I've been reading that it does 720p continuous in regular raw mode when formatted to exFAT. I returned my 80mb/s card and got a 95mb/s (might get a bmpcc soon). Does any one know if there are extra steps when formatting to exfat or do i just format it and proceed as usual?

glassescreditsroll

Quote from: nanomad on March 22, 2014, 11:17:05 AM

Loving the anamorphic live view thanks so much for giving it to the 650d I've been wanting it ever since you guys put it out for the 5dmrkIII! If anyone is looking for the new build with mk11174 audiometers he updates pretty much everytime anything worth having is put into the nightlys here's his download page https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads big thanks to everyone working hard to make the 650d a better tool for filmmakin. Now the exposure sim what exactly does that do? I can't seem to toggle it on and off it's just stuck in "movie"

Nautilus

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on March 24, 2014, 05:54:27 PM
Loving the anamorphic live view thanks so much for giving it to the 650d I've been wanting it ever since you guys put it out for the 5dmrkIII! If anyone is looking for the new build with mk11174 audiometers he updates pretty much everytime anything worth having is put into the nightlys here's his download page https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads big thanks to everyone working hard to make the 650d a better tool for filmmakin. Now the exposure sim what exactly does that do? I can't seem to toggle it on and off it's just stuck in "movie"
I installed this and can't see the audio tab. Where do you activate audiometers?
OK, got it.

jaegersing

I am using v2.3.NEXT.2014Mar11.650D104 and cannot find how to restore the WB setting to Auto. I have tried searching and the advice given (use the Q button to select Quick Menu, select the blank WB submenu and then use the top dial to adjust the WB back to Auto) does not work for me. The top dial does not change the WB selection, and anyway it is already showing Auto, but my ML menu is still showing a Kelvin number for WB.

Can anyone please help?

Richard

edge11

Quote from: jaegersing on March 25, 2014, 03:11:39 AM
I am using v2.3.NEXT.2014Mar11.650D104 and cannot find how to restore the WB setting to Auto. I have tried searching and the advice given (use the Q button to select Quick Menu, select the blank WB submenu and then use the top dial to adjust the WB back to Auto) does not work for me. The top dial does not change the WB selection, and anyway it is already showing Auto, but my ML menu is still showing a Kelvin number for WB.

Can anyone please help?

Richard
from what I have played around with, the way you go back to auto is by doing it in the canon menu. So press "Q" and set your wb to auto.

jaegersing

Quote from: edge11 on March 25, 2014, 03:51:10 AM
from what I have played around with, the way you go back to auto is by doing it in the canon menu. So press "Q" and set your wb to auto.

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, I have tried this but am unable to change the WB selection this way. Have you actually managed to make this work with a recent ML build? If so, which version?

Richard

Walter Schulz

Canon menu -> Q -> Select blank field in the middle row, 2nd from left -> SET -> Select AWB -> SET

Pash0k

Anybody can make a video review of the latest version of ML? Audiometer is already displayed video-mode?  Thanks