corrupt raw file on card full

Started by martinsolarte, August 01, 2013, 04:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinsolarte

I have been filming with the 5D mk3 raw and everything seems to work quite well, Thanks for the development!!
I encounter however an issue when the card gets full while filming... from what i read it seems to be with the header of footer that has the info regarding the camera and film settings, that is not written as the card is full.
After noticing this i try to be careful not too record to long files with fear that i will run out of card and will damage the file.

Has anyone found a solution to recover the frames from this files?
Im using: Magic Lantern July 22nd(19d2476)

M.

D.L. Watson

Have you tried to convert the raw files with Bachelor or RAW2DNG? I recently filled my card and corrupted my raw files.

When I exported them using Bachelor, the frames were listed a .dp-2 rather then dngs. I ended up using a cmd trick and rewriting their extension to dngs and I was able to recover all of my raw images.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

5DanielMIII

Would you know why the dng's turn all pink and distorted after joining the files?
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

gybra

Have you gotten frames like these:

5DanielMIII

Hi,

No it does not look like that. You can only see a lot of hizz, noise, dots, scramble..no figures or forms. Just noise.
After joining files, R00 and Raw file. I drop it on the raw2dng.exe and dng's are made. Them all my DNG's then look like pink noise.
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

gybra

So theres no picture at all? Can you post a photo so we see what you mean? Is it the entire clip when card is near full or is it just 1 frame? Are you getting an error? For example error corrupt file in slot 13

5DanielMIII

No picture at all, just scramble. Can I post a pic directly to this thread, or do I need to upload elsewhere and make a link?

BrotherD

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 05, 2013, 05:54:34 PM
Have you tried to convert the raw files with Bachelor or RAW2DNG? I recently filled my card and corrupted my raw files.

When I exported them using Bachelor, the frames were listed a .dp-2 rather then dngs. I ended up using a cmd trick and rewriting their extension to dngs and I was able to recover all of my raw images.

DL sooner or later many will run into this problem unless ML can "read" the files. I have two files from different shoots and during a music video shoot today it might have happened. Files are being processed with Eyeframe now. Where can I find Bachelor and can you share the cmd trick?

Thanks!

gybra

So scrambled data like this but worse? :

5DanielMIII

5DanielMIII

This happend when recording to a 16gb card, for more than 4gb pr file.
So when going bigger than 4gb, I got one RAW file of 3.99gb and another R00 file of whatever that was above 3.99gb.
When dropping the 3.99 RAW on raw2dng, it extracts the dng's OK.

I guess I can not  extract the R00 file with the raw2dng, but when i tried anyway, this is when this pinkyframes cam along.
The raw2dng does the convertion, and gives a folder of this pink frames.
And if I join the two files, it is also a no go.

gybra

Thats not your file messing up. Its the converting process and I had the same problem today.

If your on a PC:

1. use rawanizer to converge all the files together
2. Go to where rawanizer select the converged file (Where you designated them, click the file to make sure you are on the correct one. It should say how many GB's it is and should be over 3.99 GB ** remember to pay attention to the file name)
3. then put the converged raw files into raw2Cdng NOT raw2dng... It might work with raw2dng once converged but i havent tried it I just like raw2Cdng better.

This is the way I fixed this problem
I can send you the programs if you want just message me ur email. Its not your card or files its your conversion process. Hope this helps! Cheers!

5DanielMIII

jrumans

Did you happen to be shooting in 3x Crop Mode with these shots?  I had problems with pink / corrupt frames after (while) shooting in Crop Mode on my 5d iii.
Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to get the fruit.

gybra

raw2Cdng is just another converter. It takes the raw files from the card and converts it into Cdng files so you can grade in Davinci Resolve or another program.

Midphase

Quote from: jrumans on September 01, 2013, 07:32:01 AM
Did you happen to be shooting in 3x Crop Mode with these shots?  I had problems with pink / corrupt frames after (while) shooting in Crop Mode on my 5d iii.

+1 on that one, I had issues when shooting in crop mode as well on the 5D3.

gybra

+1 also. I get frames like the first photo I posted of the building with the black line going down the building. I think it has to do how the data is being written to the card. thoughts?

5DanielMIII

Quote from: gybra on August 31, 2013, 03:26:01 AM
Thats not your file messing up. Its the converting process and I had the same problem today.

If your on a PC:

1. use rawanizer to converge all the files together
2. Go to where rawanizer select the converged file (Where you designated them, click the file to make sure you are on the correct one. It should say how many GB's it is and should be over 3.99 GB ** remember to pay attention to the file name)
3. then put the converged raw files into raw2Cdng NOT raw2dng... It might work with raw2dng once converged but i havent tried it I just like raw2Cdng better.

This is the way I fixed this problem
I can send you the programs if you want just message me ur email. Its not your card or files its your conversion process. Hope this helps! Cheers!

Thanks for the info =)
I have been trying different options, and I found out that using the join file program and then the Batchelor 3.0 all dng's are fine =)

kolen

Hi, all. I recently bought a 50D and try to record RAW video. Occasionally the camera halted during the recording. While most of the files are there, they are corrupted. I guess it is because it doesn't have a proper ending. I guess the issue is similar to what is posted here. However joining the spanned files from either the terminal or the RAWanizer doesn't work. The resulting file cannot be converted to cDNG by RAW2cDNG, RAWMagic, RAW2DNG, etc. I also tried BATCHelor and it doesn't work.
I think in principle if I know the original resolution, the data is there and should be able to get them (except for the last few frames)?
I googled and find this post, and also another one here: http://www.conorcunningham.net/blog/2014/4/10/magic-lantern-missing-end-of-file
That blog is quite technical. Are there any easier way to do it?
Thanks!