Motion Detect to take multiple pictures

Started by Roger, July 31, 2013, 10:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

I am taking picks of hummingbirds using motion detect. http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469937@N08/8006420958/  My frustration is only getting one or two pics when a bird visits my setup.

I wondered if scripting could be used to change motion detect to take x number of pictures in burst mode. Can I write a script that updates what motion detect does or updates what happens when ML takes a pic? Or should I essentially recreate motion detect, with a script and add my burst to it?

Thanks

a1ex

Isn't it easier to choose the number of pics from ML menu?

SDX

If you are running official v2.3, there isn't a option for that. On nightly you'll find a few more useful settings in the MD- and Shoot Preferences submenus. Just remember to set to burst mode in order to get the max out of it ;)

Roger

I was not running the nightly build. I see that setting now. Up to 5 images per motion trigger. Thanks

Roger

This worked well. I just need more than 5 frames in the burst. Is this possible with scripting or other settings?

SDX

Write a feature request. Should be matter of seconds for a dev to adjust. 5 seems slightly low for my taste as well.

Audionut

I tried doing a pull request but I don't know bitbucket well enough and it tries to update my other pull request.

Here is the diff,

# HG changeset patch
# User Audionut <[email protected]>
# Date 1376600746 0
# Branch unified
# Node ID e2d4c905d9e43b18c2f5214bc069e6e28d3f4407
# Parent  5dd5e2d2227f125707c3909a727a9a4207f8b561
Increase pics at once to 9

diff --git a/src/shoot.c b/src/shoot.c
--- a/src/shoot.c
+++ b/src/shoot.c
@@ -4837,8 +4837,8 @@
             {
                 .name = "Pics at once",
                 .priv = &pics_to_take_at_once,
-                .max = 4,
-                .choices = CHOICES("1 (OFF)", "2", "3", "4", "5"),
+                .max = 8,
+                .choices = CHOICES("1 (OFF)", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9"),
                 .update = pics_at_once_update,
                 .icon_type = IT_PERCENT_OFF,
                 .help = "How many pictures to take at once (for each trigger event).",