Moved from Nikon D800 to Canon 5D MKIII

Started by swifstudios, July 25, 2013, 03:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swifstudios

I recently jumped over from the Nikon D800 to the Canon 5D MKIII mainly for the video capabilities, Canon's large video communities and of course Magic Lantern. I've already invested a lot of money in prime Nikon glass and heard of an adapter to mount Nikkor lenses to Canon camera bodies (Novoflex Lens Mount Adapter - Nikon Lens to Canon EOS Body). Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these adapters and/or if I'm better off updating my lens collection for Canon glass?

Thanks!

squig

aliman84

I use the Novoflex EOS/NIK and EOS/NIK NT and they work fine for me, no problems hitting infinity and all focus points are accurate.
I am now looking at getting the Redrock adapter rings that are a re-mount for Nikon glass. 3 of these adapters are about £80 as opposed to £130 for a single Novoflex.
There is a little movement with the Novoflex and long heavy lenses, so I usually mount the baseplate to the collar on my longer lenses and that solves that problem.

Audionut

Glass tends to hold it's value well.  If you move systems, think of the selling of your previous glass, as cheap rent.

KurtAugust

I also use two Novoflex adapters as I shoot both Nikon and Canon 5d mark II and III. Not all Nikon lenses fit the Canon though, eg. my oldest 24mm doesn't. And I've been told some lenses may close down automatically. My (stop less) Zeiss 50mm macro works beautifully and about 8 other lenses do too, though.
I can recommend them.

(I don't like to sell glass, because I'm too attached to each lens)
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

KurtAugust

I wrote it wrong: the lenses may only close down, if they have the clicks removed from the f-stop ring. But my altered Zeiss lens works very well. Much better actually.

(And it now are 3 Novoflex adapters to save time swapping lenses)
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog