Body gets hot

Started by Peetn6000, July 23, 2013, 03:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peetn6000

Hi,
i just installed ML 2,3 on my 5D mark II.

I was browsing around in the menu's and testing focus peak, zebra and other ML functions.

then i noticed that my camerabody was getting quite hot at the bottom.
Does anybody else have this problem, or is it normal that my 5D is getting hot wile using ML?

And some people say thats you have to remove youre battery after shooting video in ML, is this true?

Greets,
Pieter-Jan

Peetn6000

No it didn't melt.

I've read the article that you posted and it doesn't say anything specific about the body getting hot, just once it's mentioned that is 'getting a bit hot'

I'm just wondering if its normal and if other people are having the same problem.

Doyle4

Quote from: Peetn6000 on July 23, 2013, 04:44:28 PM
No it didn't melt.

I've read the article that you posted and it doesn't say anything specific about the body getting hot, just once it's mentioned that is 'getting a bit hot'

I'm just wondering if its normal and if other people are having the same problem.

If shooting RAW its going to get hot if doing a long shoot, alot of info is been passed through the sensor.

my mkii gets hot filming using H.264 after a few mins, its normal really BUT for RAW just be careful is all, iv made a cooling unit for mine as i do long exposure's also and this warms up the sensor and M.Card.

The 1Dc i think it is? the 4K Canon, that has a special cooling, where as other Canon cameras where not built to shoot RAW so there was need to make these tweaks, just be careful is all :) 

Peetn6000

Thanks for the reply,

I was just browsing true the menus and it got hot in a few minutes.
I uninstalled ML now and i'm browsing the internet for a good answer.

But according to manny posts about this issue it will not break my camera?

AnotherDave

I used my 5D3 with ML Raw in a room that was 120 Degrees for nearly 3 hrs for a short film a few weeks ago, the camera didn't melt or break or anything... footage looks amazing too.

xNiNELiVES

Wow that's impressive maybe it's different forclowrr end cameras. When I was in death valley I was taking really long exposure shots at around 11 to 12:30pm. That night the temperature never dropped below 100f. When I developed my footage it was incredibly noisy for ISO 1600. It was comparable to ISO 12800. The camera was a t3i. The funny thing is my friend with a t2i doing a 10 second lesser of an exposure didn't have as bad of noise.

Andy600

:( Should my camera really look like this?

It's good that the camera body is getting hot. It means heat is being dissipated.

I suspect the heat isn't strictly down to the sensor either. The extra heat is 1) the LCD being on for long periods and 2) the CF card and circuitry working overtime. Continuous CF writing will be drawing more current from the battery too and that will cause heat build-up.

The cameras have inbuilt protection against overheating. If any component(s) were to fail, my guess would be the LCD suffering first. Thankfully there are no reports of that happening so I think we're safe.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Stedda

Quote from: Andy600 on July 23, 2013, 07:09:25 PM
The cameras have inbuilt protection against overheating. If any component(s) were to fail, my guess would be the LCD suffering first. Thankfully there are no reports of that happening so I think we're safe.

There are reports.... from Nikon users that don't want to believe RAW Video on pretty much every Canon DSLR is REAL.

These are people that don't use Canon, never used ML, believe their 36 MP files pushed 5+ EV in post are awesome but RAW Video is useless because of the space it takes up on your HD. :)
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Stedda on July 23, 2013, 07:34:04 PM
There are reports.... from Nikon users that don't want to believe RAW Video on pretty much every Canon DSLR is REAL.

These are people that don't use Canon, never used ML, believe their 36 MP files pushed 5+ EV in post are awesome but RAW Video is useless because of the space it takes up on your HD. :)

It does take up a lot of room but once you've encoded the footage into a compressed format it's much better.

Stedda

Hard Drive Space is cheap, my tower has 9 TB and 3 256GB SSDs. 3 TB hard drives are $150.

I was being sarcastic. I have no problem with the file size and no need to push a file +5 EV "with clean shadows". :)
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Stedda on July 23, 2013, 08:43:07 PM
Hard Drive Space is cheap, my tower has 9 TB and 3 256GB SSDs. 3 TB hard drives are $150.

I was being sarcastic. I have no problem with the file size and no need to push a file +5 EV "with clean shadows". :)

Ok good. 9tb Jesus christ! I only have 500gb because the rest of my tower is expensive and I had to cheap out on something. Well it's a WD Caviar black which is good though. I'm probably going to buy a 4TB WD Cav Black sometime. Along with a 2x 60gb Intel 520 raid array. I'm going to give each drive 10gb of room for trim support so it will be 100gb but I'll be getting 1gb read and write speeds.