[IMPOSSIBLE] faster bracketing / start at nonzero EV / top LCD backlight

Started by MxM, July 22, 2013, 12:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxM

Hi there,

First of all, thank you for your effort to get the most out of our camera.
I'm using a 7D with ML and looking forward to see some new features.

I would like to see some changes in the HDR section
- No 'photo-preview' between each shot/bracket. (or at least an option to disable this?) it's very annoying/slow when shooting 9 brackets.
- The possibility to start with -EV and end up with +EV (for 9 brackets this would be: -4/-3/-2/-1/0/+1/+2/+3/+4)

And is there a possibility to enable the light from the top LCD by default and (auto)turn it off while taking pictures? Would be great for night photography and dark environments.

The last question is, do you guys know when the autoboot feature will be available for the 7D?

Best regards,

MxM (The Netherlands)

wolf

Quote from: MxM on July 22, 2013, 12:50:13 PM
- No 'photo-preview' between each shot/bracket. (or at least an option to disable this?) it's very annoying/slow when shooting 9 brackets.

Isn't it possible to turn the ''photo-preview" off inside Canon menu?

MxM

Quote from: wolf on July 22, 2013, 01:16:39 PM
Isn't it possible to turn the ''photo-preview" off inside Canon menu?

It is possible, but it won't work...  8)
When I use the Canon AEB everything works fine, (regardless of what photo-preview setting I use) it fires 3 shots without a preview between them. So I guess it must be also possible for the ML version?

a1ex

I'm afraid what you are requesting is not possible (unless you do the reverse engineering yourself).

MxM

Hi a1ex, what about the top LCD light? (always on, except when taking pictures)

a1ex

Marsu42

Quote from: MxM on July 22, 2013, 02:02:17 PM
Hi a1ex, what about the top LCD light? (always on, except when taking pictures)

I tried to make ml turn off the display while taking long focus stacking sequences, didn't work just as alex stated, the current ml hooks don't seem to really work here.

Quote from: MxM on July 22, 2013, 12:50:13 PM
- The possibility to start with -EV and end up with +EV (for 9 brackets this would be: -4/-3/-2/-1/0/+1/+2/+3/+4)

I recently added exactly this to a pull request, but it wasn't accepted and I didn't follow up on this because nobody seemed interested ... but I also think this sequence is handy for postprocessing.

One catch is that it cannot work with auto-hdr, the the other that if you start the first shot with full shutter the first one *will* be 0ev because there's no way to intercept the Canon-taken pic. But of course we could add a way to start the sequence by some other button which would circumvent the latter problem.

MxM

Hi There,

I tested something today with the bracketing features... The 'photo-preview' between each shot is only there when using the ML autodetect feature. When I use a fixed value (9 brackets) it takes shot after shot without showing a preview between them.

MxM

I found a solution for the possibility to start with -EV and end up with +EV (for 9 brackets this would be: -4/-3/-2/-1/0/+1/+2/+3/+4)

Go to Shoot -> Advanced Bracketing
- Select your frames (for example 9 Brackets)
- Set the sequence 0 + ++
- EV increment 1 EV
- Exit ML menu
- Set your EV value at -4EV

This way your shot begins at -4EV and goes up to +4EV without picture preview between each shot.

MxM

Marsu42

Quote from: MxM on July 23, 2013, 01:05:59 PM
I found a solution for the possibility to start with -EV and end up with +EV

Yup, I should have mentioned that, this is what I've been doing a lot - but it's not a quick solution since you have to adjust two parameters, plus on my 60d the top lcd only shows +-3ev ec and you have to use the q menu for more.