Auto exposure algorithm for shooting - auto iso, ae (autoexpo.mo)

Started by pravdomil, July 20, 2013, 10:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pravdomil

what about main dial for min shutter speed and main dial for apeture or ISO range?
thanks Doyle4 for answers

a59192

This feature is useful in 5D2 perfect! Thank Development (Test 500D does not work properly ... :'()

Marsu42

Quote from: Doyle4 on July 26, 2013, 07:47:21 PM
be nice to have a setting that can choose iso 320, i find that to be cleaner than iso 100, theres a site that has tested the iso range and found that 100 iso is a software tweak of 320, how true that is i dont know

Ugh? Never heard of that, could you please post the source, hard to believe that offhand ...

Doyle4

Quote from: pravdomil on July 28, 2013, 01:05:28 PM
what about main dial for min shutter speed and main dial for apeture or ISO range?
thanks Doyle4 for answers

Im struggling to understand what brapodam is meaning to be honest (not in a nasty way at all) to me it sounds like you are wanting to work like either Tv or AV mode which i would recommend using for the quickness you are after and shoot in RAW, Auto exposure to me is a advanced Auto feature with manual adjustments. But like i say, i may not be understanding your post correctly so im sorry in advance if i am reading it wrong  :)

brapodam

Quote from: Doyle4 on July 29, 2013, 03:03:22 AM
Im struggling to understand what brapodam is meaning to be honest (not in a nasty way at all) to me it sounds like you are wanting to work like either Tv or AV mode which i would recommend using for the quickness you are after and shoot in RAW, Auto exposure to me is a advanced Auto feature with manual adjustments. But like i say, i may not be understanding your post correctly so im sorry in advance if i am reading it wrong  :)
What I was suggesting is to have a quick way to adjust the maximum aperture to suit one's DOF needs. DOF requirements can change from shot to shot (for instance when shooting events where you may want shallow DOF to isolate subjects, but a larger DOF for group shots), and right now it's not easy to do that quickly - you have to dive into menus.

However, I do recognise that this may not be the point of this module - the Auto ISO module by Marsu42, used in Aperture Priority mode may better achieve this requirement.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: brapodam on July 30, 2013, 05:54:50 AM
What I was suggesting is to have a quick way to adjust the maximum aperture to suit one's DOF needs. DOF requirements can change from shot to shot (for instance when shooting events where you may want shallow DOF to isolate subjects, but a larger DOF for group shots), and right now it's not easy to do that quickly - you have to dive into menus.

However, I do recognise that this may not be the point of this module - the Auto ISO module by Marsu42, used in Aperture Priority mode may better achieve this requirement.

Have you used it before?

britom

7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

brapodam

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 30, 2013, 07:07:38 AM
Have you used it before?
yes I've used it, and it works pretty well. However I have not had a chance to use it in a real world situation, I only did a short test at home

Doyle4

Quote from: brapodam on July 30, 2013, 05:54:50 AM

Gotcha ya! give it a dedicated button that could jump you into the settings.. nice idea.. thinking which button is spare.. haha

nanomad

Hi,
i'm trying to use the spy_ae module on the 650D but I'm a bit stuck. Your code depends on a magic memory location 0x173ec. How did you find it?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: brapodam on July 30, 2013, 08:49:23 AM
yes I've used it, and it works pretty well. However I have not had a chance to use it in a real world situation, I only did a short test at home

How could you use it? You compiled it yourself? I just don't understand why the author can't compile the thing and give a download link.

brapodam

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 31, 2013, 01:44:20 AM
How could you use it? You compiled it yourself? I just don't understand why the author can't compile the thing and give a download link.
Yes I compiled it after he fixed the code. He said there was a typo which caused the errors we were facing while compiling. It depends on a few changes so I just cloned his entire source to build rather than trying to clone the main ML source and patching in his stuff. I don't pretend to know how to do that, so I just do it the easy way  :)

pravdomil

Quote from: nanomad on July 31, 2013, 12:07:14 AM
Hi, i'm trying to use the spy_ae module on the 650D but I'm a bit stuck. Your code depends on a magic memory location 0x173ec. How did you find it?

yes this is harder, well after all this will be faster:
set (P Av Tv) or get (M) your exposure compensation to 1EV, make sure that you have metering on and find in RAM

if(*(int16_t*)ADDR) == 2049) you have it!
or
if(*(int8_t*)ADDR) ==  (2049 - 1) * 8 / 2048) might be too (not sure, loot at other AE_VALUES)

good luck!

http://cdn.bitbucket.org/pravdomil/ml/downloads/expo_comp2.png

btw: please revert the forum notifications some how, topic rss is also welcome

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: brapodam on July 31, 2013, 01:56:34 AM
Yes I compiled it after he fixed the code. He said there was a typo which caused the errors we were facing while compiling. It depends on a few changes so I just cloned his entire source to build rather than trying to clone the main ML source and patching in his stuff. I don't pretend to know how to do that, so I just do it the easy way  :)

So it's not compilable right now? He said he's working on the code right now.

1%

I have to try your finder module as 6D ae value works in LV only. Have to check other cameras. What happens if there is one AE_value for LV and one for photo?

Everything does depend on that timer above... what is it?

nanomad

As pravdomil said, a good search strategy using a custom memspy is:
- Set EC to +1EV in P mode
- Find memory locations with a value near 2049 that hold this value for a long time
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Yea but that location is neither Expo Comp (which 5DII uses to calculate AE value) nor ae_value.. it is some timer. On 6D its giving me locations like 0xFF8.

I found it tweaking AE spy and starting around where LV ae_value is. It has 01 or 02 appended to end depending on being in a manual or auto mode. I'll try to find some others.

50D is OK in LV + photo.

Hehe, this is as good or better than P mode and much more flexible.

pravdomil

as I write - you can probably find AE_VALUE which will be
*(int8_t*)ADDR) =  8
or EXPO_COMP
*(int16_t*)ADDR) = 2049
But this is not sure, maybe you camera will reported it other way.
Well this is place for spy_ae and first you have to find some ae related value (halfshutter pressed might be a good start).
Then left spy ae to do his job.

Maybe the best will be connect some keys that control EC to spy_ae.

Quote from: 1% on July 31, 2013, 04:29:51 PM
Everything does depend on that timer above... what is it?
What timer?

1%

(*(int*)0x173ec) != 23) is some timer on 5DII.. half shutter pressed or metering active?

It ignores events if its not.. this is good, on other cameras there are a lot of values on the screen, have to filter them with frequency/limits/etc.

Most probably have ae_value right tho so not needed, 50D was. Expo comp is unnecessary as +4 and 01 or 02 is around 2048/2049, it only comes up momentarily in memory while metering. If you look at the current AE value memory: if it has 01 or 02 at the end it will probably work in photo mode.

pravdomil

nanomad try this https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/174/mem_spy-module
set setting - halshutter related on, look for int16, range of adress 0x0 - 0x20 000, changes 20 - 300
switch to M mode, turn on mem_spy, make sure that you have metering off (dont press halfshutter)
go to info screen, wait at least for 5s (during this time changed values become hide)
turn on metering (hold halfshutter) and 20x change you scene exposure (aim at bright scene, then on dark, then on bright...)
some vars will occur, watch them how react on scene brightness

RenatoPhoto

Interesting development.

I compiled the module and installed it in 5D3.  In the module all functions seem to change the variables as noted, so the scroll wheel functionality is operational. 

Question: Is this module functional (Automatic Exposure adjustment) for the 5D3?  I ran some tested but I did not see any changes to the image with or without the module.  I tested with ISO in auto and in manual, the camera was in M mode.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

pravdomil

not yet, bv value isn't found on 5D3

You can lend me your 5D3 and I will find it :)

see first updated post

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: pravdomil on August 14, 2013, 06:46:32 PM
You can lend me your 5D3 and I will find it :)

You will have to come to my lodge.  I live inside a crater near Quito Ecuador.
We can enjoy a beer with a view of the crater!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: pravdomil on August 09, 2013, 10:00:36 AM
nanomad try this https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/174/mem_spy-module
set setting - halshutter related on, look for int16, range of adress 0x0 - 0x20 000, changes 20 - 300
switch to M mode, turn on mem_spy, make sure that you have metering off (dont press halfshutter)
go to info screen, wait at least for 5s (during this time changed values become hide)
turn on metering (hold halfshutter) and 20x change you scene exposure (aim at bright scene, then on dark, then on bright...)
some vars will occur, watch them how react on scene brightness

I can try this.  I compiled the mem_spy.mo and can run it. 

In settings I can select int16 2B
Then I turn on module ON and press the LV button to go to life View.
Get lots and lots of numbers

So if I understand right:
I need to aim at bright light and press the half shutter, then put cap on and press half shutter.
Now I keep doing this and look for a number that changes...

I can test this later to try to find which memory locations are changing.

How many memory locations should I find?  I assume that the mem locations are like 2d2cc?
Then there is two colums of numbers and a mem location, then two colums.

format is

mem     number    number    mem     number    number

Any idea of the magnitude of the numbers?.. I see small numbers and very large numbers.  Some change some do not.