Can't install ML on 5D3?

Started by rob61, July 17, 2013, 08:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob61

Watched the videos, still can't get this to install. Never installed before, and have 1.2.1 firmware on the 5D3. I removed the CF card, used a SD (actually a micro SD in an adapter which works fine for storing photos/videos so I'm assuming this should work) in slot 2. Formatted, copied the current version ML to the card. Then went to the firmware version, selected update.

Now the red "busy" light starts flashing on/off every second or so. I've left in going for a couple minutes, but it never stops... it hangs. FORTUNATELY, it did not brick the camera. I had to take the battery out, replace it, and the camera still worked, but it never wrote the ML firmware, or does not boot up to load it.

I've repeated twice, but am afraid to do much more because I don't want to brick the camera. Any ideas on what I'm missing, or why this isn't working?

Danne

firstly you have to  downgrade to 1.1.3 from 1.2.1 firmware. There are some threads on this topic, start searching the forums.
You have to make the card bootable and then you put the magic lanten stuff on the card, then to the camera. It,s at your own risk.

Pileot

I too am having some issues with a CF-SD adapter. No problems on my CF card, but once i use the adapter nothing works. Could be a cheap ebay adapter not working properly? If I find any solutions i'll be sure to share but rest assured your not alone.

soundhound

I am being totally unsuccessful in installing the nightly builds; I run the firmware updater and the screen finishes by displaying the "enable bootflag" and smiley face, but pressing the trashcan button does not bring up the Magic Lantern menus. I restart the camera, and still no dice (If I understand correctly, you have to now do the firmware update process every time the camera is turned on.....).

I've been trying to install so I can shoot raw again: I did have a previous nightly build installed and was able to shoot RAW without any problems.

I upgraded the Canon 5D MKIII firmware to 1.21 temporarily for a shoot, but then downgraded back to 1.13 so I could use ML again - that's when I was unable to re-install the RAW nightly builds.

I might add that I can install the Alpha 3 version (without RAW) and it works fine.

Any ideas?