5DM3 CR2 files no longer opening in photoshop.

Started by lonetraceur, July 17, 2013, 12:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonetraceur

Hi there,
I absolutely love ML and the stuff you guys have been doing. I've been happily taking RAW video for a little while and have got a fairly reliable workflow going on. However, yesterday I needed to take a couple of photographs using the camera, so I set it to RAW (CR2) and snapped away.
After copying the files to my computer (thumbnails in Explorer (PC) loading OK) I double-click to open up in photoshop/ACR and it failed to open the files. I've successfully opened them up into UFRAW and saved as TIFFs, but I'm a little concerned that I can no longer open up the standard Canon CR2 files in Adobe Camera Raw anymore.

I tried taking pictures after resetting the ML settings, removing the SD card (with ML on it) and taking a picture without ML being loaded, Changing the CF card to a new one, reformatting the CF card, setting all the 5D settings back to default and also re-installing Photoshop. None of these have fixed the problem. Can anyone shine any light on this situation at all please?

I appreciate any help anyone can give...

Many thanks,

Andy.

AndyPost

Andy,
Sorry to horn in on your post, but perhaps you can help me as well. 

First, your problem.  To see if something has changed on your raw files (*.cr2) go to PhaseOne.com and download a trial version of Capture One.  It's what I use for raw file processing.  All the other shooters I know that don't use Capture one use Adobe Lightroom, also available as a trial.  I don't know anyone who relies on ACR.  There has to be some reason. 

If neither of these will open your CR2 files then something is hosing your files.  If that's the case, then try running without ML.

Now...can you help me get to where you are?  I've just bought a 5D MKIII because I thought ML would let me shoot higher than HD rez raw files that were give the 1DC a run for the money.  I can't get any improved video functionality from ML at all.  Can you share how you do it?

Thanks in advance.  Another Andy

szollos

davidjm

Try downloading  RAWMAGIC  to convert the files first then you can correct in adobe camera raw...works for me.

lonetraceur

Hey Guys,
Thank you for the responses. It seems it's an issue with Photoshop. I downloaded and installed Capture One which opened the files fine. I can also send them straight to ACR through Capture One as a DNG which is a bonus.
I'll have to have a look into Photoshop and try reinstalling again.

Thanks!

Stedda

Are you copying over the xmp sidecar files?

Try importing them as opposed to doing it through windows explorer.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3