IS/VR during RAW recording (50D)

Started by iheza, July 12, 2013, 09:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iheza

Hi, I have bought a 50D a month ago and am really enjoying the awesome features (many thanks to ML!!) and build quality of this workhorse. I use it for photography mainly but RAW video was also one of the reasons to buy it instead of a 60D. Everything works fine with the 28th June build and a 32GB Komputerbay 1000x CF card. I'm really astonished with the possibilities and flexibility or RAW video.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to activate stabilization before starting a RAW recording. When I half-press the shutter-button I active the stabilization of the lens but then I can't start the recording. I have to start the recording and then quickly half-press the shutter-button. Is there a way to have the half-press activated by ML so I can record without worrying about it and have it on all the time?

iheza

QuoteShutter Button (50D)

Leave unchanged: obvious :)
Block during REC: blocks the shutter and related (AF, *) buttons while recording. In 50D, taking pictures while recording would result in ERR99; with this option, you can avoid taking pictures while recording by mistake. Side effect: this will disable image stabilization during recording.
Hold during REC (IS): ML will keep the shutter button pressed half-way during recording, which will enable image stabilization (IS). Side effect: you need to press the shutter button half way to turn IS off before the camera will let you stop recording.

OK, so I know there is a function for holding the Shutter Button in the ML Movie tab but it doesn't work.. when I enable "Hold during REC" and start to record RAW video with the SET button the IS doesn't turn on, I have to hold the shutter-button myself to activate it.. What am I doing wrong, I don't get it.

savale

I can confirm this doesn't work in a proper way. I tried a recent (raw) build: (19 august)
To enable IS you have to keep the shutter halfway pressed. (during recording) When you release it, IS will be disabled.
It would be very nice if there is an option to always enable IS during recording. (if IS is available on the lens)

jcdenton

Same case here. I enabled the 'Hold during REC' function but still need to keep shutter button half pressed. I tried it on 18-55mm IS II & 55-250mm IS II result is the same. Is this a global problem or just a individual cases?

ML Version: Andy600.Build.2013Aug18.50D109

a1ex

I doubt "Hold during REC" works for raw video (it was written for the H.264 video). But sticky halfshutter should work.

Don't forget the meaning of "sticky", as in StickyKeys (you will still have to press the button!)

If it doesn't work, post a video showing the camera screen (where you enable sticky half-shutter, engage it, get the red confirmation on the screen, and show that IS doesn't work)

jcdenton

a1ex

I'm sorry for the dumb question but where can I read about sticky half-shutter & how to enable & engage it right? Or maybe you can tell me where it can be found? I'll be very grateful!

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X