Simplified fast workflow for RAW suggestion

Started by Toffifee, July 11, 2013, 01:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toffifee

Hey,

So, now that RAW is out and working.
It's a night and day difference in quality from h.264.

But the workflow is a bitch.
It takes up a ton of space and options for sound are limited.

So here's my suggestion
Start recording audio when you start recording RAW, integrate the sound file into the .RAW

Ask Adobe to support the .RAW format. (Adobe usually listens if enough people request the same feature.)
Including the audio support

Using Adobe Media Encoder
- Load all .RAW-files
- Choose output (e.g ProRes or DNxHD)
- Press go
- Edit the 1st of the .DNGs in all the clips, either to a log profile for later color correction/grading or color correct all of them now.

Done

Pros
- You're free to delete the .RAW files
- The Audio is baked in and already synced
- Option to color correct in process or later
- No need to go through .DNGs, RAWMagic or RAWanizer, bring them into After Effects or DaVinci, make comps etc

What do you guys think?
Is it possible to bake in the audio file into the .RAW file?

Danne

About using media encoder, it,s fully workable by adding the ginger plugin to the media encoder app. Then it,s possible to encode to proxy or whatever you prefer. For the audio, there,s no solution yet

Toffifee

I thought Ginger is not able to read all the RAW information such as ACR?

I've seen a post-production workflow in AE and Premiere using Ginger and he had to use his own white balance tools and color tools.
Also tried playing around with the trial (costs 150$) and did like you said, installed the plugin for media encoder.
Again, it can't really read the RAW data, Which in my mind totally defeats the purpose of shooting RAW.

As for the audio, it's possible to record wav files within magic lantern.
I'm no dev, but wouldn't it be possible to trigger that command when you start recording RAW video?
Either baking it into the .RAW file or naming it the same as the .RAW file so that smart programs can unite them.

Danne

I also prefer acr when grading the dng files. I get better results, more like a photo. I think you have a lot of information from the native raw but the tools to get the information in premiere or after effects isn,t working like acr unfortunately.
The fastest most non-destructive way for me is to produce ProRes proxy-files through adobe media encoder then when all is edited in premiere simply choose "replace with after effects composition" and from after effects relink the dng-files to the proxies and at the same time do the coloring through acr before the final export takes place in premiere.
//D

Toffifee

So for a totally fast and non-destruktive workflow.
How about if Premiere added support for the .RAW-format so that you can cut natively inside premiere something similar to Ginger, the difference being when you're exporting, you're prompted with ACR?

Danne

That would be a start. Premiere has to allow for 16-bit as well.
Would be nice to have a set-up with "raw-tools" much like a workflow in lightroom. A lot of still photographers that now works with film would definitely find that to be a nice workflow.