Raw and Highlight Tone Priority

Started by jaybirch, July 07, 2013, 09:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybirch

I know we are supposed to switch this off, to get better speed... But i can shoot 1080p continuous with this on, for thought I would run a few tests with it.

I shot this exposed for the highlights, then tried the same with HTP on. I certainly helps bring the shadows up, without too much noise. As you can see on the bottom two grades.... Bringing the shadows up further shows the HTP disabled has more noise.

The highlights with HTP on seem to have blown a bit, which makes the whole thing a bit pointless, but perhaps with a bit more testing i can find a nice middle ground.

a1ex

dariSSight

Quote from: jaybirch on July 07, 2013, 09:24:15 PM
I know we are supposed to switch this off, to get better speed... But i can shoot 1080p continuous with this on, for thought I would run a few tests with it.

I shot this exposed for the highlights, then tried the same with HTP on. I certainly helps bring the shadows up, without too much noise. As you can see on the bottom two grades.... Bringing the shadows up further shows the HTP disabled has more noise.

The highlights with HTP on seem to have blown a bit, which makes the whole thing a bit pointless, but perhaps with a bit more testing i can find a nice middle ground.

I think the RAW photo with the HighlightTonePriority Off is the best one, if you decide to add some contrast or brightness it won't over expose the buildings and the bush area. I'm not sure what's a Wide DR but the Graded shot leaves to much over exposure for me, then again the human I see a little over exposure.
Canon 5D Mark II

Audionut

In photo mode, HTP has the same limitations as digital ISO's.

1%

IliasG

Strange !!!

The effect is the exact inverse from what we know about HTP in photo-raws. Are you sure you named correctly then ON/OFF ??.

Can you write the camera settings you used ?

jaybirch

I was thinking the same.... I was using BATCHelor for the first time, so maybe it does things differently in terms of name/date.

I'll redo the test again with a clipboard shortly.

a1ex

As expected, this comparison simply tells the obvious: ISO 200 has cleaner shadows than ISO 100, but 1 less stop of highlight detail.

ISO 200 HTP is nonlinear digital gain applied to ISO 100. To compare them in raw, try ISO 100 without HTP and ISO 200 with HTP. These two use the same analog amplification.

In my tests I did not notice any difference between these two.

mageye

This may be be of interest:

http://forums.planet5d.com/threads/86999-Sticky-Highlight-Tone-Priority-ISO-Noise-Tests

(apart from the fact that ISO 160,320,640 etc. are now NOT considered best for RAW video. Is it right that now ISO 100,200,400 etc. are considered to contain less noise?)
(That's what I have been using ???)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

a1ex

160, 200 and 250 are 100% identical in raw. And probably 400 HTP too.

jaybirch

The more i read about it, the more useless it sounds, in Raw. So i will discontinue the HTP testing, for now.

If you guys want me to test anything though, just shout. I'm amazed what you guys have done with ML, truly amazed and thankful.

ch_d

5D MII

a1ex

What news? it's digital gain, no effect on raw.

ch_d

5D MII