Please help me with English

Started by Novosibirets, July 06, 2013, 10:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novosibirets

Hi all! Please help me with English.

1. The phrase "The work of Vasiliy Kuleshov".
Mean(ing?) the author's signature on his specific work (on illustration, on photo, etc).

2. The phrase "The works of Vasiliy Kuleshov".
Mean the title of the site with all the works of the author. Title portfolio.

So can write and speak? Or does it sound weird? How this is to write correctly? I suspect there are many spelling variations.

mageye

Hello!

I am not sure exactly what you require here but all I can see is that you want to know the difference between the two statements? (I think?)

work = singular (single, mono-)

works = many (poly-)

It's called pluralisation

I am not sure that answers the question but it's an attempt

Hope that helps! ;D
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Novosibirets

Thanks for the answer)

I must have asked the question incorrectly. I want to make sure that both of these phrases are spelled correctly,
and have the correct meaning.

For example can write "The work of Vasiliy Kuleshov", can write "Vasiliy Kuleshov is (Kuleshov's?) work",
can write "A work Vasiliy Kuleshov".

All of these variants are correct, and have a one meaning? Or there are nuances?

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Novosibirets on July 06, 2013, 11:39:34 AM
Thanks for the answer)

I must have asked the question incorrectly. I want to make sure that both of these phrases are spelled correctly,
and have the correct meaning.

For example can write "The work of Vasiliy Kuleshov", can write "Vasiliy Kuleshov is (Kuleshov's?) work",
can write "A work Vasiliy Kuleshov".

All of these variants are correct, and have a one meaning? Or there are nuances?

First is correct, the Others are completely wrong for the grammar...
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Novosibirets

Thank!) Now I'm sure, I can name my the site-portfolio "The works of Vasiliy Kuleshov", and my the works signed "The work of Vasiliy Kuleshov".

dlrpgmsvc

Yes, even more english-style if you can write "vassily works" or "vassili"s works" ;-)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand