NEW KomputerBay *1050x* 128 GB Card

Started by Kraemer, July 03, 2013, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgv5

Quote from: tronics on July 29, 2013, 11:16:17 AM
I have just changed for the 5d mkIII.
Yes, thank you I know about using the SD Card.

My question is rather which card to get because at the moment I do not have any usable card only a Sandisk 600x.
I would love to have a go with a card that gives me no problems until the next generation is out.

I have mark III and sandisk 600x ( udma7 version) and it performs great. I am getting 1920x1080 24 and 25p continous. its only slighty slower than komputerbay 64 1000x but more predictible IMO. 1920x1080 30p gives about 600frames.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

tronics

Quote from: kgv5 on July 29, 2013, 12:40:26 PM
I have mark III and sandisk 600x ( udma7 version) and it performs great. I am getting 1920x1080 24 and 25p continous. its only slighty slower than komputerbay 64 1000x but more predictible IMO. 1920x1080 30p gives about 600frames.

Great insight. 
I'd be really happy if that worked for me as well, but I have the sandisk 600x 32 GB version with UDMA6.
Full resolution is not possible but when I lower the resolution it is a fine card.

Thank you for motivating me, I tried several settings.

Update:
Ok I can do continuous with my card without zero framedrops or problems:
1920x764 p24
1600x900 p25 also with having global draw on
1728x864 p25
1472x828 p30 (for slowmo@70% that one is good to have)
1920x818 p24  worked for a while but at 3127, 3910, 3500 frames I had the 1st framedrop

On the display I can see values between 60,0 Mb/s - 62,9Mb/s.
With the card heated up it almost never goes below 62,2Mb/s
The predicted frames are not far off. All hacks enabled.

Anyways, when I have a faster card that gives me FullHD option then I will use this Sundisk card only for longer Canon H.264 Codec recordings on low DoF shoots.

--

I got this one (there were no UDMA7 one with the European retailers):
SanDisk CompactFlash Card (CF) Extreme Pro 32GB 90MB/s (SDCFXP-032G-E91/SDCFXP-032G-X46)
http://geizhals.at/eu/sandisk-compactflash-card-cf-extreme-pro-32gb-90mb-s-sdcfxp-032g-e91-sdcfxp-032g-x46-a462261.html

It seems you are lucky to have this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646876-REG/SanDisk_SDCFXP_032G_A91_32GB_Extreme_Pro_CompactFlash.html

amezibra

Hi,

this is my first post but i'm following the forum since a year or so, i'm more of a hobbyist photographer.

despite bad feedback on the forum about Komputerbay card speed and or reliability, i purchased one 128GB 1050x for testing.
Unfortunately, it turned out that the card was unreadable by both my DSLRs (Canon 5D markIII and markII).
it was only readable on an Lexar dual slot usb3.0 reader on my windows7 Desktop.
the speed was about 90MB WRITE / 120MB/s READ but unusable on the DSLRs

I suspect that the controller was faulty and worked only in CF ATA mode versus Direct IDE mode.

So i wasn't able to perform any testing and will stop trying to work with this brand.

I'm very disappointed, the saving isn't worth the risk to get a defective card and potentially have to deal with all the return hassle..

And in my specific case with the symptoms i had i could have concluded that my brand new 5D3 has some bent pins on the CF slot but fortunately i had an old lexar 800x card that worked perfectly.

I understand that Komputerbay is trying to make the support better but you can't rely on your customers to make the basic QC or QA for you.

A burnt child dreads the fire..

pascal

My card from amazon.de arrived after a week and I was finally able to test it. The card can perform well at recording 1080p 24 and 25, however there is an issue with heat on the card. After recording a couple of GB (~20gb) the card seems to become so hot that it turns slower and finally starts to drop frames. This is 100% reproducible on the card I have. I think I will return it and test another to verify this behaviour. This does not happen with my 64gb cards from KompBay.

tronics

Quote from: amezibra on July 29, 2013, 07:13:18 PM
>it was only readable on an Lexar dual slot usb3.0 reader on my windows7 Desktop.
>the speed was about 90MB WRITE / 120MB/s READ but unusable on the DSLRs

This is a known issue. You do not have a bad card.
Only USB 3.0 card readers work.
To avoid corruption the Komputerbay 1050x card will not allow to be read by normal card readers (might be a difference in voltage)
I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.de/Transcend-All--Multi-Kartenleseger%C3%A4t-schwarz/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=sr_1_1

>Unusable on the DSLRs
That is bad, but could also have to do with your setting.
What you could try is change the Photo size to Medium instead of RAW to avoid.
Also you should be on p24 or p25 (PAL) @ 1920x1080.
This full resolution is it seems not possible with p30.
Format the CF card ExFAT to support large files.
Also the ML files should come from a seperate SD card.
And sorry for the stupid advice but probably you lost patience because of the other problems, when the CF card gets formatted sometimes my camera automatically switches to SD card. Make sure you are on the CF card  ::)

ted ramasola

Quote from: amezibra on July 29, 2013, 07:13:18 PM
Hi,

this is my first post but i'm following the forum since a year or so, i'm more of a hobbyist photographer.

despite bad feedback on the forum about Komputerbay card speed and or reliability, i purchased one 128GB 1050x for testing.
Unfortunately, it turned out that the card was unreadable by both my DSLRs (Canon 5D markIII and markII).
it was only readable on an Lexar dual slot usb3.0 reader on my windows7 Desktop.
the speed was about 90MB WRITE / 120MB/s READ but unusable on the DSLRs

I suspect that the controller was faulty and worked only in CF ATA mode versus Direct IDE mode.

So i wasn't able to perform any testing and will stop trying to work with this brand.

I'm very disappointed, the saving isn't worth the risk to get a defective card and potentially have to deal with all the return hassle..

And in my specific case with the symptoms i had i could have concluded that my brand new 5D3 has some bent pins on the CF slot but fortunately i had an old lexar 800x card that worked perfectly.

I understand that Komputerbay is trying to make the support better but you can't rely on your customers to make the basic QC or QA for you.

A burnt child dreads the fire..

If you placed those 1050 xCF cards on a non comapatible USB 2.0 card reader, youcould have corrupted the cards. Your cards has components that cut off like a fuse so you don't permanently damage it. When this happens only your computer can read it but it can't format it anymore.

If you have a USB 3.0 and the cards you say are unusable on dslrs, what exactly do you mean? that when you insert them the camera would say card not formated? or are you saying you can't install magic lantern?

we tested 1000x and 1050x 128 and they work on the mkII but only for canon firmware shooting h264 and stills. No ML and it can't be used to update canon firmware.

on the mkIII it works to record raw video but ML has to be on the SD card not CF, but raw video should be set to record to CF.

please explain by un usable?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

tronics

Quote from: pascal on July 29, 2013, 08:28:23 PM
My card from amazon.de arrived after a week and I was finally able to test it. The card can perform well at recording 1080p 24 and 25, however there is an issue with heat on the card. After recording a couple of GB (~20gb) the card seems to become so hot that it turns slower and finally starts to drop frames. This is 100% reproducible on the card I have. I think I will return it and test another to verify this behaviour. This does not happen with my 64gb cards from KompBay.

Hmm, but it could also be that the CF card has some blocks in the middle are not as good as in the beginning and end.
Because heat is normally a good thing.
What happens if you just format the card immediately after you have this dropouts from the 'heat' and start over.
If it then goes again for 20GB fine then you can rule out the heat.

amezibra

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 29, 2013, 10:50:12 PM
If you have a USB 3.0 and the cards you say are unusable on dslrs, what exactly do you mean? that when you insert them the camera would say card not formated? or are you saying you can't install magic lantern?

on the mkIII it works to record raw video but ML has to be on the SD card not CF, but raw video should be set to record to CF.

please explain by un usable?

Hi,

unusable = the DSLRs displaying "Card1 cannot be accessed - reinsert\change card"

and when i tried to format the card from camera i got the same message. the DSLR see a card is inserted but can't read or even format it.
the card was formatted in the PC to exfat, i even tried fat32 i tried every params to no avail before returning it.

on the desktop using a lexar usb3.0 the card was fine. (lexar dual slot USB3.0) 90MB/s WRITE and 120MB/s READ
i was able to format it on the PC via the reader multiple time with various block size but it remains inaccessible to the DSLR
while a lexar 64GB 800x card was perfectly visible and usable for all DSLR operations.

So i'm not even speaking of magic lantern as i'm running it from an eye-fi SD card on the mark III and it is running just fine.
it is just  about the usability of the card as a storage device on the DSLR let alone using it as a ML main storage device..

I returned the card today anyway.. i certainly got a bad controller or something but i can't afford the hassle of testing / returning card while Komputerbay can certainly hire an intern for that and label some card for Magic Lantern users .. like VPG-20 but ML-90 ;-)

tronics

Quote from: amezibra on July 29, 2013, 11:12:34 PM
unusable = the DSLRs displaying "Card1 cannot be accessed - reinsert\change card"
Thank you for clarification.
Ok that sounds like a clear return. But I think this was your problem: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5510.msg61818#msg61818
I wish you more luck with the next card. 8)

NateVolk

Hey all, I'll chime in here asap.  I've got the 128gb 1050x card, and it performed well all weekend on a major shoot.  When I get back to the office, I'll write down all my settings and you can test them on your camera.  We're prepping for storm flossie right now, so once I lock in, I'll post up :)

tronics

Quote from: NateVolk on July 29, 2013, 11:48:39 PM
I'll write down all my settings and you can test them on your camera.  We're prepping for storm flossie right now, so once I lock in, I'll post up :)
Yay, that sounds promising.   :)
Thank you sir for keeping us updated.

ted ramasola

several days ago when I returned my 1st komputerbay 128 card because I corrupted it by inserting it to a noncompatibale card reader that is USB2.0 I asked KB techsupport what USB 3.0 cf reader they recommend. They mentioned to use one that contained chips that are compatible with these new fast cards, he also mentioned to AVOID LEXAR CF READERS, as they are not compitible with theirs.

USB 2.0 readers also that contain this chipset (ALCOR AU64771GL-1) are also known to cause corruption.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: NateVolk on July 29, 2013, 11:48:39 PM
Hey all, I'll chime in here asap.  I've got the 128gb 1050x card, and it performed well all weekend on a major shoot.  When I get back to the office, I'll write down all my settings and you can test them on your camera.  We're prepping for storm flossie right now, so once I lock in, I'll post up :)

On a 5D mkII or mkIII ?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

alvink

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

dlrpgmsvc

If komputerbay cards costs so much less than real branded ones like Lexar, there is a reason. They are Lexar defective ones. The defect consist of not reaching the minimal guaranteed read and or write speed. But this is intended not necessarily throughout all the card memory space, but even on only small areas here and there. So this explains the above user results where, at a certain point, the write speed drops abruptly. These komputerbay cards are a real lottery: you can be lucky enough to receive a card whose min write speed is enough for your raw video at your resolution, but also not. Perhaps the low speed area of your komputerbay card will be so at the end of the total memory that you will never use it and so you will be never affected by a problem. And the vendor may also will not refund you for speeds reasons. Someone even talked with a komputerbay representative, and you can find a full report here: http://www.eoshd.com/content/10433/which-compact-flash-cards-for-5d-mark-iii-raw-video.
So, long made short: it is quite pointless to discuss on komputerbay cards, measure them, show personal results or compare their performances. It is a total waste of time, obviously on my humble and personal opinion. I'm only tring to be of help to others to save their time on tests, and others (who still don't have one yet) to save money.
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

tronics

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 30, 2013, 09:44:22 AM
If komputerbay cards costs so much less than real branded ones like Lexar, there is a reason.
Well, I don't think that you found the ultimate reason for the lower price.
Where is a Lexar 1050x card anyway? Should exist if it get's recycled.
In the discount supermarket you also get the same goods under white labels.

I had numerous, endless returns with OCZ SSD products. 8 returns in 1 month with different products of them. All total failure.
Now that is a brand. And it costs very similar to all the other brands.
You cannot draw conclusions from the price. Democratization of goods is happening.

tronics

Regarding the CF card readers, make sure to get a one that was reported to work well and where you do not loose time in the workflow.
It is the lowest cost part of the puzzle anyways.

The Kingston FCR-HS3 is recommended for the best speed results  (source Komputerbay).  ~18 Euro
Transcend RDF8 USB 3.0 Memory Card Reader is ok (source Komputerbay). ~13 Euro
Lexar card readers should be avoided (source forum).
USB2.0 card readers should be avoided (source forum).

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: tronics on July 30, 2013, 10:38:38 AM
You cannot draw conclusions from the price. Democratization of goods is happening.

You even didn't read the link I posted, so you cannot draw conclusions on only one line of my text.

There is no democratization on quality. This is a well established market rule, and forever will be.
The price difference is so huge you cannot talk about democratization ! What democratization ? Chinese one ? Obtained by breaking human rights ?

1050x Lexar are prototyping, and all tests cards failing (even for a small speed amount) are leaked out and marketed by KomputerBay.
This is a normal behaviour.

However, if you still believe in Santa Claus, you are free to believe, but not try to pass for wrong who don't.

I base my conclusions on facts and bibliography (see my link and other posts on the forum).

Obviously, who bougth kb cards will defend himself from an unwise choice to the Death, and it is understandable. But the truth is out there...

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: tronics on July 30, 2013, 10:41:14 AM
Lexar card readers should be avoided (source forum).

Many thanks ! Very informative ! I was buying one ! Steering now immediately ! You saved me troubles, money and the day ! It is so easy to do 1+1=2, so: Lexar card = good --> Lexar card + Lexar reader = Perfect.    Many thanks !  ;)

Danne

Try a transcend 64gb 1000x, perfect compromise of price with fast working speeds. That,s my conclusion when choosing between komputerbay and lexar

pascal

I have a Lexar card reader and no problems with it in conjunction with KompBay cards.

tronics

Quote from: pascal on July 30, 2013, 12:42:17 PM
I have a Lexar card reader and no problems with it in conjunction with KompBay cards.
To clarify, this only goes for the new 128GB 1050x card. It could destroy it.

tronics

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 30, 2013, 12:14:46 PM
You even didn't read the link I posted, so you cannot draw conclusions on only one line of my text.
Dear, I read it 2 weeks ago.

Official comment: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7264.msg61467#msg61467
Whoever is right I do not care as long as there is a card exchange guarantee in case it does not work (Eoshd also writes that this is possible).

tronics

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 30, 2013, 12:17:44 PMeasy to do 1+1=2, so: Lexar card = good --> Lexar card + Lexar reader = Perfect.    Many thanks !  ;)
Should be avoided with the Komputerbay 128GB 1050x. It is really only about this card.
Sure with Lexar it is fine. No worries.