NEW KomputerBay *1050x* 128 GB Card

Started by Kraemer, July 03, 2013, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Tested, working. Look up a few posts

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 5D3shooter on July 11, 2013, 02:12:56 PM
The price already went up $20 on amazon.  Went up $50 on ebay.

I knew I should've bought one last week.

Yeah look at the 64 th 1050x it went up $40 on amazon. God knows how much it went up on eBay.

Son of a bitch! >:(

oferlevy

Quote from: Danne on July 11, 2013, 03:46:40 PM
Tested, working. Look up a few posts
Thanks Danne,
I would like to hear from more people who tested it.
Cheers... ;)

NateVolk

Mine's on its way, I'll report back asap!
Any special requests?

pascal

in europe this card goes on amazon on 17th july for 179 euro

erous17

My new 128go 1050x Komputerbay is arrived...
Problem installation, "firmware not found" error on my 5DmII. Altough ML work fine with my 32go!
Anyone has a solution to instal ML on my 128Go? HELP

aaphotog

Quote from: erous17 on July 20, 2013, 08:48:43 AM
My new 128go 1050x Komputerbay is arrived...
Problem installation, "firmware not found" error on my 5DmII. Altough ML work fine with my 32go!
Anyone has a solution to instal ML on my 128Go? HELP

I could be wrong, but I recall reading something about ml not being able to install on cards bigger than 32gigs. do you have a sd slot on there in addition to the cf slot?

N.Mendes

Erous, did you solve your problem?

So, people, are these 1050x cards reliable (The 1000x seems to be not)...

I'm about to buy one, which one is the most safe for a 1080p at 24fps Raw, Lexar 64gb 1000x or Komputerbay 128gb 1050x?

I saw the benchmarks in the first post on this thread, results didn't seem to be really good...

What do you guys think?

pascal

I am waiting till 2 weeks for the 1050x card to arrive. I tested 4x 128gb 1000x cards from Komputerbay before but they are all insufficient for 1080p. I have 2x 64gb 1000x Komputerbay and they are good for 1080p.

erous17

Problem still alive...I shoot with 5DII, so no SD slot! No exFat possibilities.
I tried all solutions! Last solution is send back to Komputerbay. :/
Komputerbay's fiability is the lotery.
However if somebody have a solution? :)

anchoricex

Someone lay this out to me like I'm a 5th grader. Is this card guaranteed to be faster than the lottery of 64gb 1000x cards everyones been playing with? I'm not entirely interested in ordering/returning cards until I get one that writes fast enough. Has this card sorted that out?

ShootingStars

Have the same question as well. I live in Canada and returning the card would cost nearly half the card.

ted ramasola

My komputerbay 128gig 1050x udma 7arrived today, promptly tested it! And unfortunately IT DID NOT WORK.

Cannot be formated by 2 cameras, 5d2 and 7d. cant be recognized by my PC as well.

I have a proven Lexar 1000x 32 gig for several weeks now and never failed me.

I wanted to try this out since there is one reviewer here in ML that tried it.

So I filled out my return form and sent back my card.

edit: in touch with their tech support to find what caused problem and find solution. See my posts below for updates.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

xNiNELiVES

My 32GB 1000x from komputerbay works perfectly out of the box. I've heard many others recommending the 64gb 1000x. The failure rate seems to be lower on these cards (1000x) possibly?

ShootingStars

The lower the size, the better chance it will perform at higher resolutions.

ted ramasola

Quote from: ShootingStars on July 23, 2013, 02:29:34 AM
The lower the size, the better chance it will perform at higher resolutions.

Given all the reports here and in other forums of hit and miss, the ratio is at 50-50 chance of working and non-working.
I do not not think it is prudent for me and others to recommend this brand to a friend or a stranger.

I have tried the 1000x 64 gig version of komputerbay for a few minutes only since it was my friend's card, mine is a lexar, and it was working. I could not say it would stay that way longer than a lexar or more proven brands.

the 1000x 64 gigs seem to have a higher percentage of "good feedback" but this thread is about the 1050X so my report for that version is a big thumbs down.

edit: in touch with their tech support to find what caused problem and find solution. See my posts below for updates.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ShootingStars

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 23, 2013, 04:15:46 AM
Given all the reports here and in other forums of hit and miss, the ratio is at 50-50 chance of working and non-working.
I do not not think it is prudent for me and others to recommend this brand to a friend or a stranger.

I have tried the 1000x 64 gig version of komputerbay for a few minutes only since it was my friend's card, mine is a lexar, and it was working. I could not say it would stay that way longer than a lexar or more proven brands.

the 1000x 64 gigs seem to have a higher percentage of "good feedback" but this thread is about the 1050X so my report for that version is a big thumbs down.
That was my general perception for all cards. I am unable to speak for Komputerbay though.

ted ramasola

I am talking with Komputerbay techsupport right now to isolate this problem. For now for those with UDMA7 1050x cards have a problem with older non UDMA7 card readers. If you have this hold on for my updates and DO NOT plug it into older cf card reader as it WILL CAUSE CORRUPTION ON THE CARD.

I'll update this post in a few hours as tech support will also be calling those who emailed and contacted them so we can isolate the problem.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

One of the issues in using the new 1050x cf cards is using non UDMA7 card readers,

According to Chet at techsupport, non UDMA7 has the potential to corrupt the new 1050x cards. His advise to those who have purchased this fast cf cards is DO NOT INSERT THEM TO USB 2.0 CARD READERS.

UDMA7 card readers for USB 3.0 should be used as the new cards use a different voltage. The cards would protect itself and give you "card is write protected" message when an incompatible card reader with a different chipset is used. This will prevent further damage to the CF card.

They are sending over 2 128gig CF cards which I will test for the mkII, one is a new 1000X from a new manufacturing batch which they said has no more issues as the early ones and another 1050x CF which hopefully I can get to work with a compatible CF card reader.

I will update this when my tests will be done.

So far, one thing goes well for komputerbay for me, and that is a great and responsive technical support BASED IN THE U.S. that will resolve the issues you have with their product. Stay tuned.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

N.Mendes

Hello everybody,

@ Ted, glad to hear that Komputerbay kind of "care" about their customers.. About the "new 1000x ", when will this card be available? And how can we recognize it compare to the old 1000x? (the price maybe)..

I didn't buy my cf cards yet (and i have to do it really soon), so i hope that your tests (and other's) will show us that these cards are reliable..

Have a nice day all !!

KB TechSupport

Hello Folks,

We have finally been given permission to talk on public forums on a trial basis. Please direct questions to [email protected] as we will not be able to reply back to the forums on a regular basis.

The 1050X is the fastest car that we have launched yet and has been confirmed to work on the 5DM3 for ML. You can achieve 1920X1080 @ 25fps without a problem. These are 5~9% faster than the 64GB 1000X.

We have seen some incompatibility with the 5DM2 (limited to FAT32 and bandwidth bottleneck of 67~72MB/s). We are working on this to see if these are users errors/camera limitation/card limitation. We will be talking to Ted later today to see if we can fix this issue. We reached out to 6 other users yesterday but they were not reachable.

We did reach out to 5DM3 users (this camera can use exFAT and can write 100MB/s) and some have already confirmed that they have used the card successfully.

The newer 1000X 128GB are the ones that Amazon has instock in USA. Basically anything that shipped from USA since this past Friday is the newer (V2) 128GB 1000X cards. They are just as fast as the 64GB 1000X cards. They will be in Europe by the 1st week of August.

Rumors: These are not QC failed Lexar cards. Some of our cards are made with the same components.

Fast/Slow cards: We have not been able to identify fast/slow cards yet. There is a card warmup required for some cards for them to work at their optimum speed (CF card design). Once they reach the optimum temp. - they work fine.

The best way to benchmark a card is on a UDMA 7 compatible USB 3.0 High Speed reader. We do not recommend firewire/USB 2.0/PCI Express as there are a lot of cases where people have lost their .raw files while transferring files. We recommend using CrystalDiskMark @ 4GB for PC and Blackmagic for Mac for speedtest. Please do not use h2testw for speedtest as their software has a bandwidth limitation however it is a good test for capacity checking.

Regards,

Tech Support
Komputerbay

moebiushaydn

@KB Techsupport: Nice to see a company interacting directly with users (and potential users). This note is meant more for your sales team, but I'm hoping that you'll be able to relay the message. Please consider lowering the shipping rates to Asia -- it currently costs almost as much as the card itself. Thanks.

KB TechSupport

Sales team claims that the only method they will use to send to Asia is Fedex which is anywhere from US$ 50~100.00. We have quite a few customers using the eBay global ship program to send goods to Australia/Canada/NZ. If you have suggestions - you can email them at [email protected].

xNiNELiVES

Out of curiosity, KB tech support, if the internals aren't broken lexars, what internals are the komputerbay cards sporting?

Also on the description of the 128GB 1050x it says it's write speed is the same as the 1000x cards. The only difference is that the read speed is faster. Is this true?

Thanks for giving support.

tronics

I just made the switch to Canon 5d mkIII just to use this hack. Been a happy Magic Lantern user since 2 years with my mkII

This new 1050x CF card product is extremly cool. Thanks for making this happen.
Also cool that KomputerBay talks to the customers!
Probably we could come around the USB2.0 card reader problem, when using a splitcable for USB that gives the device more power. I use this for example on my 3rd party CDrom drive attached to Macbook Air.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get a proper reverse charge invoice when buying from amazon (Amazon would compute the right VAT but buying from a dealer registred with Amazon results in the wrong VAT making the product 19% more expensive).

Hope that my order works out soon.

Will post some tests as soon as I get 2 of the 128GB version cards.