Broken Komputerbay 32gb 1000x

Started by araucaria, June 29, 2013, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

araucaria

Today my komputerbay 32gb 1000x died after write corruption. Now it shows up as a 30 megabyte card, and it won't format neither in windows nor in ANY of my cameras (nikon,canon). I know it's foolish to rely on one sole card but I was looking forward to use it tomorrow. Any ideas about using a recovery program?

Andy600

You could try the Transcend app http://uk.transcend-info.com/support/DlCenter/DLSoftware.asp?SID=4 (complete format - FYI it takes ages)

I had it working on Kingston and Patriot SD cards and formatted my Transcend CF with it. It might work with Komputerbay cards but haven't tested yet. You might be able to rescue corrupt files too but haven't tried that either.

BTW I had a memory corruption error too but reformatted in-camera and it's ok now. Not sure why it happened TBH
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

araucaria

Thanks Andd, I tried the program but it makes nothing (formats the card but nothing happens). I guess the controller is broken, I requested pickup from amazon, they won't replace so I will have to wait until they give me the money to buy a new one. Maybe I get a better brand, but they are so expensive...

aaphotog

Damn. I just bought a komputerbay. This is what I'm worried about. Everyone seems to have good speed with them, but I notice that a lot of them are failing after a few weeks.

araucaria

Well, if you get a good one you will have no problem, if it fails you can always get a refund!

aaphotog

But what if it fails 60 days later?

1%

So does the manufacturer honor any warranty... the SD cards that broke on me went in like 4-6 months, not 60 days.

Kraemer

Yes, KomputerBay certainly will stand by their products.  They have a lifetime guarantee on their cards.   :D

ShootingStars

Quote from: Kraemer on July 02, 2013, 09:06:59 PM
Yes, KomputerBay certainly will stand by their products.  They have a lifetime guarantee on their cards.   :D
True, but if you are doing any relevant work, losing your footage is fatal. And the time between exchanging cards is a waste. I wish these cards were more reliable. It's much better to buy two 32GB Lexar 1000x and when one is full dump it off and then rinse and repeat.

Karmaschinken

Quote from: Kraemer on July 02, 2013, 09:06:59 PM

But "lifetime" seems to be meant the lifetime of the cards: As long as you can buy them new! It is meant to be the lifetime of the product line, it´s NOT your lifetime :-). At least that is what I read some time ago...

1%

You think the failures are brand related? I think any of these cards can go, lexar or KB. KB is just the most common/affordable so you're noticing.

I really don't think anything short of pro cameras hit these cards any harder. Constant writes over and over for the full capacity... all for 15 minutes. I'd say they've been troopers so far.

mino.rimada

Hi guys...something funny also happened to me with my kOMPUTERBAY 32gb 1000x Card some weeks ago. It suddenly died, didnt work but I was able to mount it in my MacBook Pro, also I used an old rebel camera my mother has an it was fine, only in my 5DM2 I couldnt use it.

I will try with the app mentioned above, thanks for the tip.