How can I use the XMP deflicker files?

Started by mSpider, June 27, 2013, 12:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mSpider

No, Im not getting the "+/-" icon--the CMP files are not working for me-
The XMP files are not association with the photos in any way.
Its like they don't even exist.
Its not working for me.
But when it does work properly, which develop settings are changed?
Just exposure--or are others like highlights changed as well?

Danne

I think it was the exposure slider only. I used the silent picture mode with dng,s. I also had my camera clock set one hour later than my computer.

Danne

Camera 13:00, computer 14:00. One hour betweenrelation just to be clear

Audionut

Quote from: Danne on July 02, 2013, 10:39:32 AM
Camera 13:00, computer 14:00. One hour betweenrelation just to be clear

Is that to make sure the XMP's get read?

Is so, that was fixed here.

Danne

Probably fixed, I just don,t bother to change the time on my camera. Just shared whatever settings I used when doing my timelapse sequence for mspider. works good :)

ColinWarhurst

Hi all - As ever, brilliant work all round; really excited and trying to get stuck into ETTR timelapse.

However, I too am struggling to the .XMP files to do, well, anything to a batch of images. I was wondering;

- Is Lightroom a pre-requisite, or is there a way to do import a sequence and have it de-flicker using just After Affects? Or even just ACR?

- If After Affects or ACR alone is an option, how do I get de-flickering (getting each CR2 to read it's XMP highlight data I assume?) across a batch?
In Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) I don't see any automation or de-flicker options; the closest thing I can find is an "auto" exposure for raws, but that only seems to apply an auto setting on a per-image basis.

I beleive I have followed the camera settings correctly, but with XMP settings. This is because I am on a Mac (as opposed to the UFRAW workflow for PC users?) but all the guides for XMP seem to... stop. :-(
A step-by-step (or video?) by anyone who has this working in XMP, on OSX, would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks, apologies if I'm missing anything super obvious.

RenatoPhoto

Flicker Free ETTR Timelapse: - -Beginners Guide & Basic Post Processing --
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0

ACR or UFRAW is prerequisite to open the cr2 files, the exposure of each file is adjusted by the setting contained in XMP.

The workflow is in the tutorial.  I use PC but some others use OSX
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Doyle4

i use mac, i can tell u what i know, 2mins n ill add to this.

Doyle4

Mac.

Deflicker is now added to the .cr2 its self so you wont see an xmp, sometimes the terminal code for adjust batch exposure and setting them all the same dosnt need to see the xmps sometimes it does, if it does not find xmp's, open all the cr2 images, select all and press auto white balance and then back to current, this will create an xmp for the images.

you need exiftool installed on your mac, google search will take you there. its a terminal command.

ML:
Deflicker - .xmp

On mac put all your images and xmps in one folder.
open up terminal, enter this, exiftool -Exposure2012+=+*.** /drag folder here containing cr2's and .xmp's

Where the *.** is enter the amount you want to set, eg 0.05, next to the number you have chosen, too the left is +, +=over expose for under add -

hope this makes sense and helps.

ColinWarhurst

Doyle; many thanks, your tutorial worked a treat.

Haven't quite worked 'how' it has worked, but I seem to have ended up with some additional XMP files with the suffix 'original' at the end of them. Perhaps Exiftool is being friendly and making backups of the originals?  :P

To clarify (if anyone else is having the same issues) this was my process;

1 - Download and install exiftool FOR MAC (There is a specific Mac OSX package)
2 - Prepare/move CR2 files and .xmp files from Magic Lantern in one folder
3 - Open Terminal
3 - Enter the coomand as Doyle explained above;

exiftool -Exposure2012+=+*.** /drag folder here containing cr2's and .xmp's

Where the *.** is enter the amount you want to set
eg 0.05, next to the number you have chosen
Too the left is +
+=over expose
-= under exposure

4 - Allow process to run (New/backup XMP files were created for me. I waited until the list had finished)
5 - Select all CR2 files, open in Adobe Camera Raw
6 - FILES SHOULD OPEN, DE-FLICKERED
7 - Select all, make White Balance auto. (Unsure about next bit?...)
Make any edits should you want them? Note, that if you change exposure now, you'll undo the de-flickering!
(Perhaps edits should be done first, then you start the de-flickering command afterwards? Needs testing!)
8 - Close Adobe Camera Raw
9 - In After Affects, import the first CR2 image, select 'Camera Raw Sequence.' Create timelpase!

Many thanks Doyle! Maybe this Mac step by step should be added to that top post/tutorial thread?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: ColinWarhurst on September 28, 2013, 03:35:05 PM
Many thanks Doyle! Maybe this Mac step by step should be added to that top post/tutorial thread?
DONE!  Thanks to all!!!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Doyle4

yeah sorry about the make edits, DO NOT TOUCH EXPOSURE!! you are correct on that one :), also, be careful tweaking highlights etc this can produce flicker in the highlights, i use an adjustment layer in after effects for that :) - Must use dng's for best quality.

Glad this worked for you man!

Doyle4

i noticed you mention other XMP's,

There your backups of the original man, if everything fails, delete .xmp's and rename .xmp_orginal back to xmp

saltador

Where the *.** is enter the amount you want to set
eg 0.05, next to the number you have chosen
Too the left is +
+=over expose
-= under exposure

I still have a doubt here...please forgive myself..maybe will make it even more clear...

if my images are overexpose by 1 EV i need to type this in the terminal..(mac)

exiftool -Exposure2012+=+1.00 /Users/Alaptop/desktop/folder

if my images are underexpose by 1 EV i need to type this...

exiftool -Exposure2012+=-1.00 /Users/Alaptop/desktop/folder

if this is right please let me know..
I also got the xml-original one time..should i copy them to a different folder or keep them there..
still doing tests..sorry for asking a lot.

so, i read that if i change exposure values in lightroom i lose all the deflickering from ML..right?
but i could change any other value and keep deflickering right?

thank youuuu.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: saltador on September 29, 2013, 01:30:41 PM

if my images are overexpose by 1 EV i need to type this in the terminal..(mac)

exiftool -Exposure2012+=+1.00 /Users/Alaptop/desktop/folder

No, if you images are overexposed you need to decrease the exposure:
exiftool -Exposure2012+=-1.00 /Users/Alaptop/desktop/folder

I also got the xml-original one time..should i copy them to a different folder or keep them there..

keep the originals and do more testing to answer your own questions like the one obove

so, i read that if i change exposure values in lightroom i lose all the deflickering from ML..right?
but i could change any other value and keep deflickering right?

Do not touch exposure directly in lightroom or on any program.  You can use exiftool to change the entire files by the same amount, up or down.

You should be able to change other values as long as the changes are global (for all of the files by the same amount).

saltador

Renato...you are the best.

I'm at this great apartment with some amazing view for 1 more week and i wanted to get as many time lapse as possible while am here.
as..right now i got up early to do another night to day...since the day before didn't work...hehehe..that's my rush to learn as much as possible and i read too fast and miss somethings..sorry and thank youuu.

now i understand clear..the exirtool command..thank you.

maybe you might know this...I'm trying to understand what auto ETTL does..

I finished a night to day timelapse on my 5dii...

started at f-2.8, shutter 1/6, iso 1600

it seem to change iso and shutter but the f-stop was always 2.8

is this always like this? does auto ETTL adjust f-stop at all?

another day reading and reading tol earn more..thanks to all of you.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: saltador on September 29, 2013, 02:14:05 PM
it seem to change iso and shutter but the f-stop was always 2.8
is this always like this? does auto ETTL adjust f-stop at all?

ETTR does not touch f-stop.
If you want to change f-stop try this new develpment:
Intervalometer Ramping Module (adv_int.mo)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8431.0

Doyle4

As RenatoPhoto said, if you are over you under expose, if yo are under you over expose, what the command line is doing is setting all images to same exposure, you will see they are all different in ACR but they all match :) thats the purpose of the command.

saltador

thanks Renato and Doyle..

I get it now...ETTL does not change f-stop...and exiftool..changes exposure to all them...

I imported to lightroom without going thru exiftool...and i got a constant change of exposure..almost every other frame has a different exposure value.. one frame exposure 0.00 next frame exposure... -1.2  for example..and it seems to be constant the out..

any ideas...

I'm about to give up and this and find other method or forget timelapse at all...hehehe.

thanks for all your help...

i know there was a new development with ramping but i'm hesitand to try since its taking me so long to get anything working..
I'm jelous of the people who are taking advantage of this wonderful developments..

THANK YOU for all your help.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: saltador on September 29, 2013, 04:12:59 PM
I imported to lightroom without going thru exiftool...and i got a constant change of exposure..almost every other frame has a different exposure value.. one frame exposure 0.00 next frame exposure... -1.2  for example..and it seems to be constant the out..

Deflickering is doing the job if you see the exposure jumping.  Just generate the video and you will see the results, Flicker Free.

saltador

I'm sorry Renato..but i'm back..hehehe.

I exported and as i thought the flickering is extreme....when i goes from exposure 0.00 to -1.2 is a big change..big changes in light exposure..

I imported into Lightroom (without passing thru exiftool) exported all as jpg..imported image sequence in QT7 and exported profess 422..just to test...

i have no idea what i could be doing wrong... :-\

thanks for all your help thou.

you all are the best.

RenatoPhoto

What camera are you using, what build.
Post the intervalometer settings
Post the Post Deflicker settings
Post your Auto ETTR settings....

My crystal ball is down today...

saltador

sorry...

Canon 5dii
build...27 sept i believe..

photo Raw
image review 8sec
WB 4000

ML
auto ETTR Always on
slowest shutter 1'6
rest as stander

Pos deflicker on
adobe XMP
percentile 50%
target -4EV

Intrevalometer 5sec
start after 10 sec
stop off
focus ramp off

that's all..

PS: I think i got all settings right...so..my mind thinks maybe i'm doing the highly build update wrong..maybe missing something there.
just thinking... I try dropping the new build and replacing the one i had but i used to get an error message like..missing fonts..so now i replace everything but the fonts.DAT in the data folder...don't know..of course i replace the autoexec.bin..maybe this is not it..weird. oh well. right now trying the latest build with the av ramp..maybe i get lucky here..thanks a lot anyways.

Doyle4

exiftool with make exposures match... think you are missing that part out, so if one is 0.00 and another is +1.2, exiftool will make these flicker free...

Also try percentile at 75%

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: saltador on September 30, 2013, 03:35:34 AM
image review 8sec

slowest shutter 1'6

Intrevalometer 5sec

your image review is longer then intervalomenter?
Try image review 2 sec
Or intervalometer 15 sec

What is Slowest Shuter =1'6  (1 minute 6 seconds?) or do you mean 16 seconds or what