5D2 with monitor

Started by Alex Stroud, June 23, 2013, 10:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Stroud

Hi guys. I've been shooting with ML for quite a long time now but I've been so busy recently that I'm a little bit behind in where ML currently is.

I always shoot with a Cinevate Cyclops (fantastic btw) but I really need to sort a monitor out. I'm looking at the SmallHD AC7 monitor and have a few questions;

Firstly, as far as I am aware, when you hit record on the 5D2, output through the HDMI is 480p or similar. Has ML improved on this?

I'm sure plenty of people have shot with 5D2 on a larger monitor. Is the 480 output REALLY annoying...or just not ideal...?

When you plug the HDMI into the 5D2 I assume the LCD screen goes blank. Is this true and is that changeable through ML? (Im thinking along the lines of having a focus puller using the monitor on shots when I can't reasonably maintain focus and the operate camera)

Any other general wisdom anyone else has regarding 5D2s and field monitors would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers everyone, Alex

Alex Stroud

LEVISDAVIS

The camera output is constantly in 1080P when shooting raw. When recording H.264 the image is at 480P. I own a 50D and I've noticed that some frames (1 or 2 out of a 100) are riddled with a strange capture glitch when shooting raw with an HDMI monitor. However, this is a build that is about 1 to 2 weeks old now.

Why not test it out with a computer monitor or television monitor using either an HDMI to DVI adapter or just with an HDMI?
Levi S. Davis

Alex Stroud

Ahh good idea. I never thought of that. I'll give it a try when I get hold of the mini HDMI adapter

Alex Stroud

One last question. I assume the 5DII has 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. Was this ever improved? And does it look like the RAW developments might improve this?

Cheers everyone