Silent Picture Review for 550D

Started by SKYFLIX, October 22, 2013, 04:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKYFLIX

I couldn't find it in the current features, impossible to implement, in process of implementation, or already requested, so I would like to request the ability to show an image review during silent picture, utilizing the already existing configuration for review time (Off, 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds or Hold).

The reason for this is as follows. I am implementing a Pinewood Derby photo finish system utilizing motion detection in live view. If I don't enable silent picture, the REVIEW works as normal, however the camera isn't quite fast enough to catch the finish. With silent picture, it is, however without a REVIEW, there is no way for me to display the results on a projector. I could utilize a different (faster) triggering system if need be, but with silent picture review, the camera could function autonomously.

Many Thanks! Great job devs!

a1ex

Sounds interesting. Some older versions (don't remember which, probably those just before raw, maybe even the 2.3 stable) had color image review as soon as you took a picture.

The DNG pics have grayscale review (load file_man and pic_view modules), but not color and not right after you take the picture. But if you feel like porting dcraw as a module, you can implement color preview too.

Take a look here: http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/archive/

SKYFLIX

Hmm. I suppose a grey-scale review would be sufficient. However, as it turns out, I found it was just easier to setup a laser line / photocell trigger using an Arduino micro-controller and a 5V relay into the camera's remote input. Works like a treat. Based on my preliminary calculations, I have less than 50ms from photocell trigger to shutter.

a1ex

Today I've added color review, so you may want to give it a try.

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on October 28, 2013, 02:03:34 PM
Today I've added color review, so you may want to give it a try.
Looks good to me 8]
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

SKYFLIX

Oh sweet. I'll check that out tonight. Thanks!

SKYFLIX

Color review through the file manager works great! Am I missing something though? How do i go about telling the camera to automatically display the last silent picture immediately after taking the shot?