Nightly builds with Raw recording support - General Discussion

Started by Audionut, June 11, 2013, 03:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lourenco

Quote from: a1ex on June 15, 2013, 03:05:04 PM
Thinking to remove audio support until the issues will be solved (it may take a while).

Any objections?

abort:
            bmp_printf( FONT_MED, 30, 90,
                "Movie recording stopped automagically"
            );
     if (sound_rec != 1)
{
            beep_times(2);
}
            break;

Fixes it.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

a1ex

Audionut

I haven't been following closely, but how bad are the sync issues.  If it's loosing sync part way through, imo that's a pretty serious issue.  I agree that it's probably best served to just remove it, until it's polished enough not to generate a bug report every other day.  If it just requires manually syncing the start positions, I don't really see what the problem is. 

Sure, in a perfect world, audio synchronization with raw would be nice, but if audio synchronization is such a problem that you need it out of the box, "shoot Canon H.264" should be a sufficient answer.

And while I understand the need for "run and gun" shooting, with one device (not using a separate mic), considering the post work that must be done when shooting raw, start syncing audio is childs play.

ilia

June 14th build working fine. I have not been using the sound recording at all, better just to use a slate and sync with high quality recorder. It should be removed, better to concentrate on the gorgeous RAW images we are getting from the 5D3. Huge thanks to all the developers at Magic Lantern. :)

squig

Quote from: a1ex on June 15, 2013, 03:05:04 PM
Thinking to remove audio support until the issues will be solved (it may take a while).

Any objections?

I can't think of any benefit keeping it while it goes OOS.

BTW has anyone told you the beep is off by a few frames?

sksmseks

How can i set more high resolution than 1920 at low fps ?

I wanna set 2.5k? at very low fps.. but i can't choose 1920+ ... (june 14th)

Shield

Quote from: squig on June 15, 2013, 06:20:53 PM
I can't think of any benefit keeping it while it goes OOS.

BTW has anyone told you the beep is off by a few frames?

What I do in Adobe after effects is sync the beep at 0:00 at then bring the left starting mark in about 4-6 frames.  Sometimes I just play the zoom wav file back first to get the exact idea at what time the beep begins.

aaphotog

Today, I recorded about 12gb(seperate clips to equal 12) on a 16gb card(formatted ExFat).
When I hit the record button again, I got about 30 frames before it stopped and stated something about not recording because the card was full. Then, without touching the camera for a minute or so, a message popped up saying "card 1 full"
I should have had another 4 gigs left. Thinking that maybe it was a mistake in how much space I had left, I tried moving a one gigabyte file over to the SD card(with file manager). Once I did that, my card still showed that it was full. The entire time, using canons normal menu, it showed that only 12GB was used on this card. Any idea of what this may have been? Using the ML nightly from the 14th

squig

I had a similar ghost data issue with the June 6 build. I think switching between LV and photo mode triggered it but I couldn't repeat it.

aaphotog

Quote from: squig on June 16, 2013, 02:52:14 AM
I had a similar ghost data issue with the June 6 build. I think switching between LV and photo mode triggered it but I couldn't repeat it.
That is probably what happened. I dont recall if I did the photo before or after.
How did you fix it? Reinstall ML?

squig

Can't remember  :-\ First try deleting everything on the card and remount it on your comp. If there isn't 16Gb available reformat the card.
It was quite a nasty bug, it somehow corrupted the file system and I lost some recordings and some of the ML files.

aaphotog

Quote from: squig on June 16, 2013, 03:33:40 AM
Can't remember  :-\ First try deleting everything on the card and remount it on your comp. If there isn't 16Gb available reformat the card.
It was quite a nasty bug, it somehow corrupted the file system and I lost some recordings and some of the ML files.
I mounted it to computer first. It did read that the card was a 16gb card. I went ahead and grabbed the files(not sure if they're ok as I haven't tested them). Then I deleted the contents on the card and placed back in cam. Seems to be recording ok now, but I haven't recorded 16GB worth of data just yet.

Stedda

With the last 2 compiles for the 5D III I can no longer get the Modules to load.

Maybe it's me but thats why I'm posting, I've never had an issue before. I went back to the last working build (14th) and tried to recopy several times but no luck.

They are set to Autoload
Error = At the bottom of the M Tab "Linking Failed"

When I try to manually load a Module =

tcc: error: undefined symbol 'memmove'
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'strtod'

All Modules Failed....
any ideas?
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

larsenlupin

Last build for MKIII / same thing for me:  stuck after the smiley "enable boot disk". L.

lourenco

Quote from: larsenlupin on June 16, 2013, 04:29:42 PM
Last build for MKIII / same thing for me:  stuck after the smiley "enable boot disk". L.
Make sure you enable boot disk on the card with ML.
Use eoscard http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/3rd_party_software

Stedda

I feel dumb now, this happened once before... I had two sets of files old and new in the Modules Folder... thanks for the PM lourenco
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Danne

Quote from: lourenco on June 15, 2013, 04:30:28 PM
abort:
            bmp_printf( FONT_MED, 30, 90,
                "Movie recording stopped automagically"
            );
     if (sound_rec != 1)
{
            beep_times(2);
}
            break;

Fixes it.

If it records sound like before it could be useful as for catching ambient sound that don,t necesserally needs syncing?

hjfilmspeed

June 16th 5d3 Lourenco build has the autoexec file inside the ML folder, is that right? Its usually in the main directory.

Also it seams the magic.sym was replaced with the 5D3_113.sym. What was the change?

lourenco

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on June 16, 2013, 07:20:56 PM
June 16th 5d3 Lourenco build has the autoexec file inside the ML folder, is that right? Its usually in the main directory.

Also it seams the magic.sym was replaced with the 5D3_113.sym. What was the change?

autoexec goes to root directly. I updated the zip file to fix this.  The magic.sym is now replaced with 5D3_113.sym.

Sthirasukha

With the new builds (from the June 11th to 17th), the way the ISO is displayed is different when Raw Rec is OFF (ISO 640 buy example) and when Raw Rec is ON (ISO 800eq with the same example).
Does it change something or is it just the way the ISO appears now?

Sthirasukha

And in the file browser, the files have a wrong size (always smaller than it supposed to be).
By example, M17-2340.raw is 2.9 GB instead of 7.5 GB
Is there any reason?

a1ex

ISO now prints the value at which you are recording.

File browser uses 32-bit code, I have no idea how to get the 64-bit file size.

Sthirasukha

Sorry A1ex, I'm not sure to understand about the ISO:
Does it mean that ISO 800eq is the value at which I'm recording when the Canon is at ISO 640?
And why the ISO in Raw is different to the ISO in H.264?

aaphotog

Quote from: Sthirasukha on June 18, 2013, 12:29:38 AM
Sorry A1ex, I'm not sure to understand about the ISO:
Does it mean that ISO 800eq is the value at which I'm recording when the Canon is at ISO 640?
And why the ISO in Raw is different to the ISO in H.264?
I believe because the iso in normal canon software has BASE ISO's (100/200/400/800...) and then to get the intermediate values, the software PUSHES these iso's. But with ML it only keeps the base iso's instead of doing a software push.
Maybe Im completely wrong, but I read something about that here on the forums.

Sthirasukha

Ok, I've got it now. I knew that I have better result when I shoot at multiples of ISO 160 (only available if Highlight Tone Priority is disabled) as said most of the directors using the 5D MKII-MKIII but I didn't get the exact explanation. I've found this (http://blog.vincentlaforet.com):
"Technically, the camera is native on the ISO's that are multiples of 100.  For the ISO's in-between, the camera digitally pushes or pulls one of these native ISO's.  For instance, ISO 125 is really ISO 100 with a digital exposure push, and ISO 160 is really ISO 200 with a digital exposure pull.  As a result, 160 and its multiples look the "cleanest" because its really a native ISO rating with the exposure pulled down, which hides more of the digital noise".
Thank you A1lex and Aaphotog