Nightly builds with Raw recording support - General Discussion

Started by Audionut, June 11, 2013, 03:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lourenco

My June 14th build works with a1ex last commit.

I just recorded one large file 62,473,153 KB file size that filled the card. It opens up fine. The last 12 pictures are corrupted, but not too much of a concern for me.   
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

jpjp

Canon 5DMKIII
June 13th build got one footer format mismatch with clip over 4GB, from the 40 clips made under 4GB three only showed blank dngs, Raww2dng version 1 used to convert.
June 14th build footer format mismatch with clip over 5GB, no other clips made.

budafilms

5D III - BUILD JUNE 14 - Stop recording with global ON and OFF, with memory hacked.
Computer BAY 64. Never before.
I checked the right card.
The only thing I changed was Load Module in startup.

ennkay

June 13th update ---

For some reason I am not able to actually record any RAW video.

After pressing the record button (Live View), the camera shows that it is starting to record.

It finishes recording after I press the record button once again and even previews the file. However, when I plug it in to offload the files they do no exist.

When I turn the camera back on they have also disappeared.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issues?

GregoryOfManhattan

new makefile build system works fine.
changing the convention for MAGIC.SYM to be the platform will be much less confusing going forward.

i added a zipwithmodules for myself in Makefile.inc so i could put out builds for 50D including the raw_rec and ettr modules.
if that's a useful option for others, i can commit that back.

looks like the build system commits are moving in the direction of automated builds for raw video on supported platforms. 

ennkay - record button is now moved to the set button.
50D build seems OK today - continuous recording at 1585x1058 24p and 1728x920 24p files play back in camera and can access them on computer - though i did see a file footer error when attempting to playback one file and i am able to get into the menus while the video continues to record.

ennkay

I am using a 5d3, i tried pressing the SET button but it does not work. When I press the live view button it records but just does not save the file permanently

budafilms

Quote from: ennkay on June 15, 2013, 06:22:12 AM
I am using a 5d3, i tried pressing the SET button but it does not work. When I press the live view button it records but just does not save the file permanently

take off the battery and use an old build. This is like this to the DEV decide to finish the alpha. Sorry, i am in the same place.

Shield

Quote from: lourenco on June 14, 2013, 02:28:47 PM
My June 14th build works with a1ex last commit.

I just recorded one large file 62,473,153 KB file size that filled the card. It opens up fine. The last 12 pictures are corrupted, but not too much of a concern for me.

Not here.  Just recorded a single 64GB file - the activity light on the camera never shut off and the footer wasn't saved on the resultant file.  There was a separate backup.raw saved on the card as well.

Shield

Still happening with the June 14 build for me.

The footer isn't being saved either.  Still getting corrupt dng files when I extract them.

Lourenco  - when you insert a clean 64 GB card and record a single card-filling file, does your camera activity light ever shut off?  Mine doesn't.  Only thing I can think of that might be different is I'm running ML on the CF card itself and not the SD card.

Shield

Lourenco -

Just formatted both cards, reinstalled a virgin June 14 build, this time I'm running it from the SD card.

Same thing - The recording says "Stopped automagically" but the 5d3 activity light never goes off, and if I then go into the ML menu it says "Raw Video...stopping".

Only variation from the default build is I'm using the FPS override with 23.976 and recording audio in the raw video menu.

a1ex

Shield

Quote from: a1ex on June 15, 2013, 09:45:30 AM
What if you try without audio?

Good morning A1ex.

Just tried it with FPS override turned off, and it worked perfectly.  I turned audio off too.  I'll do 2 more - 1 with audio and FPS override disabled, and a 2nd with FPS override ON and audio disabled (beep only).  This way we can isolate the variable.

Shield

Results for June 14 - audio off, FPS override off, Raw is fine, DNG's are fine.
Audio on, FPS override off, Raw is corrput (even after replacing footer) DNG's are corrupt.
Audio off, FPS override ON, Raw is fine, DNG's are fine.

This is for a single 64GB file.

So....this begs the question (well 2 questions actually)

1.  What has changed with the audio recording, and
2.  There's an option in the FPS override for audio disable/enable - how is this different from recording a separate wav file in the Raw video menu, and why have 2 places in ML that you can enable/disable audio?

Also, the file browser will not delete the 64GB file with the card full.  It appears to delete it, and it shows a 3.6GB file (even though it's 64GB) and once you delete it / hit set, it now shows 0KB, but still says "card 1 full" once you switch back to the main menu.

*Edit* It did delete it, but you have to power the camera off and back on again to clear the "Card 1 full" message.

a1ex

Audio recording is something separate from video, they don't talk to each other.

Back then, FPS override had to disable sound in H.264 videos. So, it has an option to record separate wav.

Raw video is bleeding edge, and it looks like you are expecting it to be as polished as Canon's H.264.

Shield

Quote from: a1ex on June 15, 2013, 11:04:16 AM
Audio recording is something separate from video, they don't talk to each other.

Back then, FPS override had to disable sound in H.264 videos. So, it has an option to record separate wav.

Raw video is bleeding edge, and it looks like you are expecting it to be as polished as Canon's H.264.
LOL you guys are light years ahead of the H264.  I appreciate everything you guys have done; I'm just confused as to why the audio is still out of sync when I see new modules like "lightning bolt" recording - to me that's way less important than having a reference audio track.  Rarely if ever would I record a straight 12+ minute clip straight so I'm not worried about it getting corrupt - I also think it's fair to point out that if Joe user enabled audio and just hit the record button with a 64GB card he's at least have a file he could work with - with the current build (and audio enabled) the raw file is hosed.

Please don't take anything I've said as demands or expectations - they're not.  Just trying to help out testing what little I can.
Shawn

a1ex

Hum... does this mean g3gg0 should not try to capture thunderbolts because you want perfect audio first?

Shield

Quote from: a1ex on June 15, 2013, 11:43:37 AM
Hum... does this mean g3gg0 should not try to capture thunderbolts because you want perfect audio first?

Not perfect audio, just audio that doesn't skip 1-2 frames per second and get out of sync.  You guys are the creators of this and can do what you want though - who am I to say otherwise?  ;)

squig

Quote from: a1ex on June 15, 2013, 11:04:16 AM
as polished as Canon's H.264.

:o

Maybe it would be better to disable audio during raw recording seeing as it goes out of sync. Some people just expect it to work and come crying to us when it doesn't.

I shot a 20+ take narrative scene syncing external sound to the beep and syncing it in post wasn't a problem. I bought a new slate too (lost the old one). Pluraleyes does save time so it would be cool if you could get sound and raw video to sync at some point in the future but it's certainly not essential except to people who think they can get a good recording from a camera mounted mic  ::).

squig

Shield

Quote from: squig on June 15, 2013, 12:01:52 PM
Not a Thor fan Shawn?  :D

It doesn't storm here often enough..

Also I think the onboard audio is pretty good, especially when you use it as a reference track.  Not all of us are shooting major motion pictures here, and for run and gun I have to choose between using an external LCD or the zoom h1n shock-mounted on the shoe unless I grab the cage.  It's quite nice for random clips to have synched up audio...

I guess all of us have different needs of course - I'm a selfish bastard and could care less if ML works on anything but the 5d3.  It's all about me of course, and my needs.   :P

squig

I don't see much point going to the trouble to record raw video and syncing it with a low quality onboard audio recording. A reference track is all the onboard sound is good for. Good Mic placement is crucial for everything.

Shield

Quote from: squig on June 15, 2013, 12:21:07 PM
I don't see much point going to the trouble to record raw video and syncing it with a low quality onboard audio recording. A reference track is all the onboard sound is good for. Good Mic placement is crucial for everything.

Again Squig, some of us are shooting run and gun stuff....natural light, single man operation.  We all have different needs.

GregoryOfManhattan

posted new build for 50D simply unified at ee70e9d44745
did encounter the inability to record issue at times - seemed to happen when in an sub menu and then half pressing shutter to get to live view. full shutter press to take a jpg usually returned to normal with graphics draw showing info.
clips played back in camera - converted a couple to DNG without difficulty and all frames look OK.
camera did seem hotter than usual hitting 49 - i don't check this regularly but it is typically around 43 when i look after shooting.

lourenco

Quote from: Shield on June 15, 2013, 09:42:58 AM

Only variation from the default build is I'm using the FPS override with 23.976 and recording audio in the raw video menu.

Audio on, FPS override off, Raw is corrput (even after replacing footer) DNG's are corrupt.

I just notice your updated post. Interesting your saying corrupted DNG with audio on and fps off.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

a1ex

Thinking to remove audio support until the issues will be solved (it may take a while).

Any objections?