can I ask you a little advice please?

Started by Brawl, September 29, 2013, 01:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawl

I understand that today the market is changing, that maybe RAW is something that will be in some way "the future" in cinema also at low budget productions.
I need a camera to start making experiments in RAW. I have not so many money. Money are a problem for me today. I do not know if would be a safe idea to buy something like a BMPCC because it's really expansive for me, I can but I'm scared, and because maybe in 2 years it would be a very old hardware comparing to what seems will arrive soon (4k revolution etc, etc..).
So I wish go in cheaper way for some times do you agree can be a good idea?
I wish to ask which is better for RAW, 600D or 650D? and is it possible to obtain a clean image (no moire, no aliasing) in some way without having to buy a filter (VAF) which cost a lot of money?

thanks for help, sorry I really I do not know anymore what to do. I really I wish to start my studies as cinematographer, lighting and making a lot of experiments, I wish to do it in RAW because of the fidelity of its images. I would be really grateful for your help sirs.

1%

50D/7D are the cheapest CF cams I think... maybe someone can get 40D up to speed eventually.

alsey7

like 1% said a cf is a must for raw. i have a 7D, which is and was a great DSLR long before ML was released for it. I think ML brought all canon DSLR to a whole new level. just gotta get audio rec working. well i just sync in post. With ML I think  it takes planning on any projects because the workflow in post is a bitch and takes a lot of time. " We choose to go to Magic Lantern not because its easy but because it is Hard. :D

Brawl

Quote from: 1% on September 29, 2013, 03:57:43 AM
50D/7D are the cheapest CF cams I think... maybe someone can get 40D up to speed eventually.
good morning 1% and thanks for your advices.

do you believe that shooting raw requires VAF (do I need to consider it in my budget)?
what do you think about RAW 960x540 upscaled to 1080p? is it equal for resolution to canon's native 1080p at h.264?

thx for your help. :)

Brawl

Quote from: alsey7 on September 29, 2013, 10:49:53 AM
like 1% said a cf is a must for raw. i have a 7D, which is and was a great DSLR long before ML was released for it. I think ML brought all canon DSLR to a whole new level. just gotta get audio rec working. well i just sync in post. With ML I think  it takes planning on any projects because the workflow in post is a bitch and takes a lot of time. " We choose to go to Magic Lantern not because its easy but because it is Hard. :D
thx, yes I can get a zoom h4n I have a little bit of experience about syncing audio it could be a solution without problems! :)

today I need raw to do practice with my photography studies in cinema, this is why I can take some time to work hard with it and I'm not scared.

1%

QuoteRAW 960x540 upscaled to 1080p? is it equal for resolution to canon's native 1080p at h.264?

Its close but the larger footage (CF cam) looks better.

Midphase

Agreed, just get a 50D, it's the cheapest best looking solution for what you seem to be looking for.

painya

When you purchase don't forget even RAW video isn't great if you don't have that great of glass. If you plan on 1080p RAW recording on the 50d (due to the 5x crop factor, make sure your lens is on manual focus to get it to work) make sure you have a very wide angle lens because even a 10mm will turn into a 50mm. Just some heads up.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.