RawMagic Davinci XML Online/Offline Conform Workflow

Started by olik, June 08, 2013, 01:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olik

Hello,

I rendered prores proxy files of my cinemaDNGs that I have from RawMagic. I did my editing with premiere pro and exported a finalcut-xml. In resolve I imported the xml (without the proxys so that it would connect to the c-DNGs files in the media pool), however, it connects the same file to every single clip. What could I have done wrong, as I don' t think a timecode missmatch is possible? Force conform to selected clips works, but that would be very very cumbersome.

olik

Well there are only 4 free videos, and none of those goes into details about XML workflow. I actually don`t understand the problem. I have worked with XML and resolve many times before and never had this problem. I will check later in the propertys of the proxys and the masters, maybe there is really a timecode missmatch.

swinxx

Check the blackmagic cinema tutorial. ;)
It is called raw cinemaDng workflow

JulianH

I experienced the same problem with CineForm 444 files, rendered from RAWanizer. Made an edit in premiere, exported a finalcut EDL, imported in Resolve, but the clips are in a different order.

Will check out the tutorial to see If I can make it work.

olik

The only thing I did different than in the tutorial video is that I did not ticked "apply project settings" as my proxys were a different resolution. But maybe that is what caused a timecode missmatch. Will try later.

blabberlicious

Quote from: olik on June 08, 2013, 01:41:32 AM

I rendered prores proxy files of my cinemaDNGs that I have from RawMagic. I did my editing with premiere pro and exported a finalcut-xml. In resolve I imported the xml (without the proxys so that it would connect to the c-DNGs files in the media pool), however, it connects the same file to every single clip.

I have the same problem - have to force reconfirm each clip - as the all link to the same as - as you say.

blabberlicious

Suspect it has something to do with the naming convention of the converted CinemaDNG file.
The quickest workflow I have found for cranking out woth with raw is: covert Canon Raw via RawMagic, Import into Resolve, evaluate clips, render for editing Premiere, checking it to 'Use Source Filenames'.

This is a very quick process - but you can see the names of the proxies don't correspond to the original file names.

If you look at the Filename in the Resolve's Media Pool the DNGs are called: M07-1257_[00000_000451].dng
But the exported proxies are called M07-1257_00000.mov

An excellent walkthrough by Jesse Borkowski explains the process
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0S2MJT9wDY -

but uses Blackmagic cinemaDNG files.

If I throw in some clip with other file formats, resolve handles the roundtrip for those files perfectly.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks

chmee

I'm still waiting for some xml-examples - maybe after analyizing them we can find any hints for solving - we have to narrow down the problematic factor - is it in the dng-tags or is it kind of naming-convention-problem? where does it happen?! is resolve working with its xml-files if you export and right then import them? etc pp..

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

tin2tin

Quote from: blabberlicious on June 11, 2013, 07:00:04 PM
If you look at the Filename in the Resolve's Media Pool the DNGs are called: M07-1257_[00000_000451].dng
But the exported proxies are called M07-1257_00000.mov
What happens if you limit the source filename to max 14 characters? (When using Reel Names in EDL files there is a limit of 8 characters)

artyg

Quote from: chmee on June 12, 2013, 02:04:38 PM
I'm still waiting for some xml-examples - maybe after analyizing them we can find any hints for solving - we have to narrow down the problematic factor - is it in the dng-tags or is it kind of naming-convention-problem? where does it happen?! is resolve working with its xml-files if you export and right then import them? etc pp..

Hi chmee, I create little project for testing and include all needed files on it (prproj file, xml, proxy video, source raw and cinemadng)

here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxDyTWKlBKcWd1dpelQtMEh3Wms&usp=sharing

Hope this will help us to brake this problem!
Canon 5D3 SanDisk Extreme Pro 64Gb 160MB/s

GregoryOfManhattan

if anyone has a working roundtrip from cinemadng to resolve to proxies and external editor and back, can you please post your working XML.

is the following an accurate summary of what is happening?

Davinci Resolve does not re-linking correctly when importing the XML from an image sequence round trip.
Import image sequences into resolve
Create Proxies
Edit in something (premiere, fcp7, fcpx, ...)
in the external editor export XML
Resolve Conform window - Import XML
displays an imported timeline but with incorrect clips associated with the edit points.

GregoryOfManhattan

renaming folders and files to match the bmcc conventions seems to help - making clips viewable at the library folder level (where you can see many clips at a time) instead of seeing only folder names (M16-1204) and having to click into the folder to see the clip.

log files have messages:
The clip "" is linked to "M16-1204_[00000-00476]"
which is a clip not even used in the XML being imported.

GregoryOfManhattan

tested tonight that round trips from black magic cinema camera cinemaDNGs to fxpx and premiere work without difficulty.

with magiclantern/rawmagic cinemaDNGs -
i could export a .aaf XML from resolve and import it into premiere.
created a new sequence but could not import it back into resolve getting  "the selected CompositeMOB index is out of bound" error with the import aborting.

chmee

@GregoryOfManhattan [xml/edl/aaf-roundtrip]
Thank you for narrowing down the actual problem. when i'm home next days i'll try to fix that as well.
whats your insight of naming dng-files and the path?

regards chmee

chmee

by the way - i just tested a roundtrip with bmcc-files, to see
(*) if it works as often stated and
(*) having a xml-file to analyze differences

(-) it failed miserably (resolve 9.1.4 and premiere CS5.5), couldnt recreate the sequence...

tomorrow a next try.

I downloaded the testfiles Clip2, Clip5 and Underwear - put them (with original pathnames) into the masterclip and exported (with proxy) to a xml. opened in premiere CS5.5.2, sliced two times, exported as xml and imported in resolve. fail.

regards chmee

chmee

as mentioned and found by peoplemerge the ReelNo is the Solution - please read in the CinemaDNG-Thread. workin'.

regards chmee

GregoryOfManhattan

hi @chmee and @peoplemerge
here is some additional information - hope it helps.

round trip with the blackmagic demo clips does work without the Reel No. (so there must be some additional information in the metadata for the cinemadngs)
i tried this with  fcpx 10.0.8 and premiere cs6 (sorry that 5.5 didn't work for you chmee).

so using shot1 - shot 5 cinemaDNGs from video.blackmagicdesign.com, i started a project in davinci resolve 9.1.4

first screen shot shows the media pool with NO Reel No.

the second screen shot shows the round trip imported clips from fcpx.  you can also see that the media pool begins with the black  frame clip so the Master Timeline would be in that order. the order in the confrom window matches my edit in fcpx.

the third screen shot shows the round trip  imported clips from premiere cs6

link to fcpx round trip file
http://50.56.67.113/ml-25june13/bmcc-shots.fcpxml

link to premier roundtrip file
http://50.56.67.113//ml-25june13/bmcc-shot-roundtrippup.xml

i did try to use the Assist Using Reel names after i'd renamed the files to what i thought was the black magic camera convention - and it didn't work for me. though when i did this i thought the reel names from bmcc were all C000xx - wonder if they need to be an actual number without the C for resolve.

chmee

@gregoryOfManhattan Do me a favour. i linked above to this underwear-sample - try to import it into the sample1-5-timeline and try a roundtrip. another suspection was - its working if there are no duplicate framenumbers and timecodes.

(with this reelNo-Generation it worked under 5.5 as well)

regards chmee