[WONTFIX] ETTR with fixed 180° for VideoRec

Started by swinxx, June 07, 2013, 03:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

hello,

i have now great results when shooting photos with ettr and thanks to the raw histo and ettr hint. i always have an eye on this when shooting raw.
the automatic adjustment when press 2x half shutter is great and a real time saver in photo mode. but when shooting raw video it always breaks my 180° shutter rule..

is it possible to optimize that for video? (with the 180degree shutter speed rule..?
does that make sense?

so when i shoot raw, with a manual lens (aperture for dof and my fixed shutter speed (1/48sec)) then there is only the ISO setting which can be changed for setting up exposure.

so what i think would be a great time saver, press 2xhalfshutter for adjusting the exposure automatically with the iso
i know that this can be done easily when changing iso, but it would be a much faster one button solution.

thx sw

a1ex

Why not just setting the shutter speed to 1/50?

Audionut

IMO, since you need a fixed shutter, generally want a fixed DOF (aperture can't be changed with AutoETTR anyway), and you have liveview on with ETTR hints in the histogram, why would you even have AutoETTR on?  Map ISO to the set button and you should be able to adjust ISO manually much faster then what you're trying to accomplish with AutoETTR.

swinxx

Ah thx for the tip.
Is this possible with the 5dmk3?
Cause the mk2 has up down left right and the mk3 has a scroll wheel. Thx

Audionut

Canon menu.  C.Fn2:Disp/Operation (second sub-menu in the second to right menu group)
Custom controls
Change the set button to ISO.

Hold the set button with thumb and scroll the main dial :)

Take a look at some of the other buttons you can map in there too.  Almost all of my buttons do something other then default lol.

swinxx

AnotherDave

ETTR is a quick way of saying "over expose a little," right?  I mean, it is more complex (in that you do it with shutter or f-stop - not iso) but it seems like it'd be pretty easy to do manually for video mode... doesn't it?

Also, keep in mind... in bright situations, this could also be done by using less ND.

Audionut

Expose To The Right  :)

Put simply, push the exposure as far right of the histogram as possible, without overexposing.

You can use any setting you want to accomplish this, including ISO.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5693.0

swinxx

I have adjusted that button config. When i change the iso, the camera also changes the shutter automatically. What am i doing wrong? I am in manual mode.

AnotherDave

Ok.  Now I am informed, tried it, and I am a convert!

Would it be possible to create a LUT (picture profile) that would display the image in a lower exposure?  *I'm thinking of how a client would freak out thinking everything was blown out.

swinxx

Audionut

Quote from: AnotherDave on June 07, 2013, 09:07:54 PM
Ok.  Now I am informed, tried it, and I am a convert!

Would it be possible to create a LUT (picture profile) that would display the image in a lower exposure?  *I'm thinking of how a client would freak out thinking everything was blown out.

Image review settings - Exposure adjust.